Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 23 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 24

We have 1 member(s), 8 spiders, 23 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
jamiemuu

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (171):
jamiemuu, FarimbfQuomy, ronzor, deniseed1, Thomasrousy, dwightlg60, RobertBaw, vondayj69, carolinasf18, salliesz18, debbiety69, laceyok3, loisqq16, wilmawx4, audrawo1, fredrc4, inesrk2, carrieiw16, gertrudeqj1, beckymk16, kristinnz11, Sergiojonia, julianadn3, Ricsyzbeefs, fayeem60, Edwardencog, violetuf2, Zuzzy, tommyau60, robbiecr69, sethag69, robertno1, EcrbPainna, GregoryLiali, Willieidery, lourdescy18, KainKelly87, danielfa18, DustinSouth, brandonin69, backbencher, nikkime69, noraux4, bonitafn69, umizenabew, genevievegw4, Craigfrike, jefftf1, Robert82abn, ds1948, ianoh3, flyman, benitaxv11, bikergunnut, JamesWox, lynnqb60, margiewq69, trishalx60, JerrySouff, jewelljt18, maeou2, stevenhe11, Jimhix, GR Farmakeia Online, altheaqo11, dwaynewg18, Richard/SIA, Jeremiah backus, lorenevm3, junkcollector, consuelogs4, Racerex1, dolliepl69, bbrown, claregx18, darcyix3, RobertAgomB, deutsche internet ap, echnihudegi, blurrededge, enjdinivovaax, ikejudu, cathrynxm69, Skiller, lidials2, eugenecx11, iqahuugux, nelsonek3, delorisqz1, belindaxb60, Lbvnwstorse, francesgq18, inaky3, ArthurDiump, janrx1, Robertfroth, glennnp60, justinepv1, Msnbbttomins, hillaryrw60, oscarwx2, Internet Deutsche Ap, monavo18, lillyiw18, renayh18, marshanj60, oranr60, karazb1, chadns11, gildaba60, coleenfb60, ThomasLoufF, Saiextip, joshuakj18, freddielw4, cathleenvu4, jodiwk2, claresl18, altacm3, andrewln11, laureldz69, willakf2, williejx18, jerrymr11, leilaed3, Jamesjorse, APOTEKEREN.life, Curtisnog, jessiejp3, mercedesbx16, joelsy2, Yandrisa, Richardherse, Master Blaster, deutsche-apotheke li, lynetteok2, kelseycx60, miltonmp1, 11millimeter, billvt11, TimothyMus, dinaww18, traciegh2, Samuraieffon, Tpabob, jenniehg3, phillipiy69, sharonwp3, Greece Online Farmak, Alinkatpt, rubenrg3, latonyavk16, clintonfc4, apteekki verkkokaupp, marvaux60, maricelaxi4, lararv18, Alinkajnt, andreaug2, sharonpk69, ethelgz2, apteekissa life, triciayi18, anavh16, lulafa1, nancybf4, maraaa16, harrietpt69, UsnbbcBladia, meganou4, elizabethav60

Sand
Weaponeer Forums : Casting

Posted in Casting
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: October 05 2009 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

So what is the recommended sand for a beginner to use?

I have been doing some research and it seems you get better results with a oil based sand. Petrobond is the most popular but other than not having a local source I read it really smokes.

Then there is K-Bond which seems promising. I can acquire the ingredients and mix it up myself.

For mixing it, is sand Muller required or is there some other trick?

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View dcorb's Profile Search for other posts by dcorb

tr6guns

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: October 06 2009 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote tr6guns

Here is a place that you might look at for dual purpose ie, (heat treating)   http://thermalceramics.thomasnet.com/category/castables?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

tr6guns

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: October 06 2009 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote tr6guns

Plus the place above is less than half the price on 2300 degree fire brick than http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/index.htm 

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: October 06 2009 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

tr6,

Thanks, I bookmarked the site!

View midmichigun's Profile Search for other posts by midmichigun

Chris42

E-2
E-2

Posted: January 02 2012 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote Chris42

I have been teaching in schools for some years and some use a water bond sand and others use an oil bond (Petrobond) sand.

The advantage of an oil bond is that once the mold is made it can be set aside for maybe a week until a pour is done. A mold done with a water bond sand is like a giant, tight sponge. It will start losing moisture from the time you are done ramming. After a few days it may have dried out enough that the inside can begin to crumble. If you bump it, it may crumble more. Finally poured and the pour doesn't come out right due to this collapsing.

Oil bond sand won't do that. It can crumble due to impact, but it seems to hold together better. It does not dry out.

As for smoke, during the pour (in my case aluminum and bronze) there is very little. If the mold is left to cool completely (say over night) then upon breaking it out there is also no smoke. If you have to break it out after 30 minutes, there will be lots of smoke. I have broken castings out after 10 minutes on to an iron table. The piece and the sand is so hot that the oil spontaneously combusts. It was not violent, but it was impressive. I would expect almost everyone here doing any pouring is going to do it outside in fair weather.

Mixing sand and oil is easiest with a muller. It is an industrial version of mom's kitchen-aid mixer. It can and is done often with a shovel and something like a mud pan (like those used for mixing mortar). If you want to do it that way, buy a new pan. chipped off mortar in you sand isn't very desirable.

View Chris42's Profile Search for other posts by Chris42

OldCoot

1LT
1LT

Posted: September 14 2013 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote OldCoot

Thanks for that info, Chris.  Were you casting sculpture with this process?
View OldCoot's Profile Search for other posts by OldCoot

Chris42

E-2
E-2

Posted: December 15 2013 at 7:28am | IP Logged Quote Chris42

Sorry for taking so long to reply -

The casting I have been doing is not so much art/sculpture type of work as it is small scale industrial sand casting.
Using brass, bronze or aluminum our castings (in bronze) might weigh as much as 20-30 pounds. In aluminum, 15-16 pounds.
The size of a casting, because of it's wide variety of potential shapes is based on weight. This is also the way(at least in smaller pours) that the crucible is sized. The furnace that I have can hold a #16 crucible which is, if memory serves, capable of holding 16 pounds of aluminum.

If two furnaces are available then two crucibles can be poured into a mold at the same time, doubling the size of the product.

A little more than you asked for, but appreciate the question Old Coot - makes me want to get out and do some more pouring (casting)

-Chris

View Chris42's Profile Search for other posts by Chris42

<< Prev Topic Casting Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version