Weaponeer Forums: Gardening For Food
Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 36 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Gardening For Food
Weaponeer Forums : Food Supplies

Posted in Food Supplies
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 24 2010 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

a friend of mine in the UK just started a new website on Container Gardening For Food.

The idea is growing all the food you need in a very small space. and the UK does not have the greatest of sun for growing.

The point is: with the current economy, growing your own food might be a good idea because we have several more years of Obama left.

Growing Your own food could very well save you money, and/or feed your family in the future.

Now I know.. planting a garden right now is a bad idea, but... This is Container Gardening For Food, meaning you start the growing process indoors with a grow light.

also keep in mind there is a ton of YouTube Videos on making your own Hydroponics Garden.

Hey... dirt free gardening and no weeds!

You can check out the Container Gardening For Food

HERE
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: January 24 2010 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

Last year I acquired some pots that I planned to elevate to grow tomatoes and peppers. Got too late in the season, hope to attempt it this year.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View dcorb's Profile Search for other posts by dcorb

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 24 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

dcorb wrote:
Last year I acquired some pots that I planned to elevate to grow tomatoes and peppers. Got too late in the season, hope to attempt it this year.

I had a plastic plant die on me once, so I have a poor record. but.. I hope to start growing food (or torturing plants) in the future.

It pays to save money any way we can.. it leaves more money for guns, shooting, tools, parts and ammo.

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: January 24 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

One the problem with growing plants in pots is they can dry out in the sun. I plan to automate a drip watering system as I am sure I will be to lazy (or busy in the shop) to care for them. Above ground will make it a whole lot easier to weed. And help keep the critters out.
View dcorb's Profile Search for other posts by dcorb

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 24 2010 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Great idea but I have a brown thumb. I have even killed cactus here in the desert .
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

whynot

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: November 17 2010 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote whynot

You need 3-4 lbs of plant food per day, guys. Hay Mulched dirt is a lot more practical. Cold frames or plastic sheeting "greenhouses" can extend the growing season by several months, and can grow sprouts nearly year round.  With a lot of skill and knowledge, this can be done, but it's no kid's game.
View whynot's Profile Search for other posts by whynot

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: November 17 2010 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

it's not easy, but everyone should be growing something these days. it's not a replacement, but it is a good supplement allowing you to eat better and/or can your food for a rainy day.

I store bulk food because I can kill a plastic plant, but if I could I would try having a small garden.  if the foods gone or too expensive for a good meal, then home grown food can keep your healthy even under high inflation

RVM45

SFC
SFC

Posted: November 17 2010 at 5:17pm | IP Logged Quote RVM45

I used to garden with my father. We would always have all the Tomatoes we could use. Sometimes the Tomatoe plants would continue to bear--even through the first few frosts--sometimes until thanksgiving, if it was a mild Fall.

We generally had plenty of Green Beans. Yellow Squashed; and Onions and Garlics did well.

Jalapeno and Cherry Peppers would do well about every third year. We never got a single Carrot or Beet.

We have planted up to a quarter acre of Corn--and barely harvested enough ears to have Corn-on-the-Cob once or twice.

Sunflowers; Cabbage; Lettuce; Celery or Okra never gave more than a few scraggly plants.

We tried to raise Chickens a few times--But the Eggs would never sprout--They'd just rot in the ground.

Ain't got a whole lot of ground now, but maybe I'll try some of that dude's suggestions.

Thanks for the site Weaponeer.

.....RVM45       

Must be Flying Saucers; I don't believe in Aeroplanes.
View RVM45's Profile Search for other posts by RVM45

<< Prev Topic Food Supplies Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version