Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 29 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 29

We have 0 member(s), 7 spiders, 29 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (135):
bbrown, VissarionA, GeorgeGlink, geraldineft11, lloydvo60, RodgerRob, elizabethei16, JamesIllex, flyingfinn64, ThomasDor, claudiaff1, johnnyto16, willakk60, erer44, aalomarnaki, dolliekw60, RobertPiock, lonniets3, andyeu60, halliepq69, stellajc69, Chrisfooth, tracyhh18, Stevenhab, uliquhqasalug, keishapi16, billieuv1, ScottMusia, oliviamv18, ujuxayoqexeg, opalxr4, claytonsk60, toddvh60, bsolution, Skiller, bikergunnut, daniellerm3, backbencher, bodo, normandd4, albertoxd18, lelaqc69, tabithacb3, DavidCek, dominiqueij2, dcorb, sheliajm69, junkcollector, StephenSom, tiadf11, willack60, gingerld69, fayexh16, chrystalvk18, charlotteqg11, marahe4, belindarq69, juliojw69, terrancepd16, jimdoc, Matthewwak, Waynenof, beckyww69, flyman, lyndavq69, Duncanthype, lawrenceca69, bettyesy18, martintr60, marjoriepi18, dianazy60, weaponeer, olayc11, Phillipzex, sherryre2, CaltyShura, daniellese69, ramonawu3, emilyop18, abhia lcib, kioesmiG, karasv3, shawnana2, CharlesNexia, laurelqj4, Markshyd, Dyevaity, scottbr18, JoshuaKix, cliftonlj16, caitlinbs3, katherynck2, gaylezd18, marcifo1, tonihj16, Gregoryjax, cindybw69, CloesmiG, lawandayx2, elenagf69, GreggLyday, neiltd2, Lonniefliny, MatthewDob, lonnieof18, KennethGar, suepu4, benjaminyd11, Heathgum, stellaev16, azotas, keithqi18, Donaldutike, warrenje3, justinat4, taragt4, Kennethalals, brigitteup1, eduardomt3, hylesmiG, PappaSunrise, luellakg60, 70SS454, julianneax60, dingowaw, jolenelo1, adriannl69, benjaminlg60, 3x75, fums, melvawu60, ryche, rhondabl4, christych69, brittneyte3

Ar bolt together changes
Weaponeer Forums : Blueprints and Drawings

Posted in Blueprints and Drawings
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: April 29 2014 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

snocat_trf wrote:
and the name and contact info of the supplier is......?????

I didn't post it as it is a UK based firm, but I would be very surprised if you could not find it in the US.

But heres the link anyway.

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/Aluminium-Round_Tube/c12 0_131/p3153/3_in_x_1_in_:_Aluminium_Round_Tube/product_info. html

The price is for 2.5 & 5m lengths but they will cut to any length you want.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

It was called Schindler's List

Don't run...

You'll only die tired
View northumbrian's Profile Search for other posts by northumbrian

snocat_trf

Private
Private

Posted: April 29 2014 at 12:03pm | IP Logged Quote snocat_trf

I haven't seen 6082 alloy available to me in the USA from my regular suppliers
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View snocat_trf's Profile Search for other posts by snocat_trf

snocat_trf

Private
Private

Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote snocat_trf

Lots of missed dimensions on a lot of the drawings for a manual machinist to make these parts from the prints and to get them to mate up correctly

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: May 07 2014 at 12:10am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

6082 is fairly similar to 6061, which if I recall correctly is widely available in the US.

Which drawings do you have? As there's a few sets available, some are fine, others are missing dimensions and other various bits.

I think the only way to truly be able to machine an AR lower or any AR part for that matter is to build up a collection of drawings from as many different sources as possible, and then use all of them together to balance out the what's missing.

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: May 07 2014 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

As I recall 6082 has pretty much superceded 6061, 6082 in many applications is extremely good for high stress applications and machines well, it can be welded using 4043 rods if welded to itself and 5356 rods if welding to anything else especially 70 series.
It has been used for motorcycle frames and also cranes and oddly beer barrels are often made of 6082.

Anyone fancy making an AR from recycled beer barrels? I'll gladly help empty them

Unfortunately being here in the UK I am restricted to theoretical projects as the w**kers in westminster don't want anyone being able to resist their cultural marxist agenda.

Whilst I'm able to shoot regularly and own a limited range of firearms, the legislation is somewhat draconian and makes Kommiefornia look like an anything goes paradise compared to here.

The sooner I am able to vacate this septic Isle for somewhere more enlightened the better.
25 miles across the English Channel lies France where attitudes are somewhat more permissive from what North has told me. So I am looking at the pors and cons of moving over there, and I'm finding far more pros than cons.
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 07 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

I think the cons there are called "le felon".
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

snocat_trf

Private
Private

Posted: May 07 2014 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote snocat_trf

just thought i would play around with the looks of the side plate

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 08 2014 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

You got me to order an AR flat - $31.93 shipped.  I need a knockabout lower for displays, and my LGS was out of plastic ones yesterday.  I'm going to try gluing it together w/ super glue - Kragelizing, the Lego folk call it.
Funny x 1

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: May 08 2014 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

Snocat_trf, Certainly a different look for a mag well, have done anything with the rest?

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

snocat_trf

Private
Private

Posted: May 08 2014 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote snocat_trf

northumbrian wrote:
Snocat_trf, Certainly a different look for a mag well, have done anything with the rest?

i have been working on the pieces one by one in Creo (Pro-E) to make sure they all fit together correctly as an assy.

they looked a lot cooler until i put the corner radii in them for the endmill as they are a trapezoid shape. i might try a triangle pattern instead.

I will see what i can do with some of the other ones if and when i have time.

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: May 09 2014 at 2:07am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

Snocat, have you seen an Isogrid pattern?

Might give a cool looking affect.

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

Brim

Private
Private

Posted: May 18 2017 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote Brim

Sorry for resurrecting such an old old thread, but I was wondering if putting this together with stainless steel screws will cause problems, since the screws would be so much harder than the aluminum threads they are screwing into. I imagine that repeated screwing and unscrewing would bugger the aluminum threads all to pieces, but don't know if the initial put-together would present problems. As long as you don't overtighten the screws, it should be fine, right?

Just want to make sure that I don't need to try and find (or make) aluminum screws or something.
View Brim's Profile Search for other posts by Brim

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 18 2017 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

You could helicoil all the threads for strength. Common practice with some non gun manufacturers.
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: May 19 2017 at 3:48am | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

Providing the thing is not being constantly bolted/unbolted, then the ally threads should be OK.
Stainless into Ally can cause issues with Galvanic corrosion taking place between the threads, but you can coat the threads with Tallow or Lard as they're inert, copper grease is adding a very good conductor into the mix so is best avoided.

Rather than Helicoils which I have had fail in the past I now use Wurth Timeserts, which are a steel tube with threads on the OD and the correct repair threads on the ID.
The last 3 threads expand to grip the ally even tighter.
I use them all the time on motorcycle thread repairs including cylinderhead studs/bolts that have run high compression or big boost levels, and so far I have not had a Timesert fail in applications where Helicoils have let go.

View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 21 2017 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

You can use bolts on the opposite side as well.

<< Prev Topic Blueprints and Drawings Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version