Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 30 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 30

We have 0 member(s), 8 spiders, 30 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (54):

Semi Build ideas for MG13
Weaponeer Forums : MG13

Posted in MG13
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: November 15 2005 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

Looking over the mg13 parts set and cut reciever IMA currently has available this one looks like a fairly straight forward build as the fcg is a very simple hammer/ trigger /sear assembly.

My current thoughts on using the atf approved demilled rec scrap to build a new semi reciever are as follows, first to machine a cylindrical bushing to go in the forward most piece of the scrap that the bbl extension/bolt carrier rides in and weld solidly in place eliminatuing the ability to insert the original fa carrier/bbl ext. Important to do before rejoining to any other scrap. Since ATF seems happy with the filling of one bolt rail cut in the reciever in the bren and rpd it might not hurt to do this also, or it might suffice alone as it does in the other approved designs, Both these mods can be completed before any pieces are rejoined and once done, then welded together it would be impossible for the original bbl, bolt, or bbl extension/bolt carrier to be inserted so I believe it ould not be an mg rec at that point, although without atf approval there is no definite answer, but the redundancy of using both methods should show plenty of effort on the builders part. And the reduced ID bushing would not be accesable for removable once all welded up.

The mods to the carrier/bbl extension would then involve the removal of the teat that trips the auto sear in the original lower. After the all important semi mod to carrier has been completed  it would be time to then remove the rail that mates with the rail welded up above and the front cylindrical portion would have to be turned/ground to insert in the new bushing. Likewise the bbl od will have to be turned to to fit the reduced ID rec.

So far this all the thought I have put into the project

things still to be addressed are

possible mods to upper to block the auto sear/trip in lower from bieng introduced into reciever if some knumbnutts tryed tempting fate, might be neccesary to increase the width of the lug on the bottom of reciever that lower clips on , so an unmodified fa lower cant fit period, maybe just welding the pivot hole up and drilling a smaller size or a combination of both? I believe redundancy on these issues never hurts.

Compliance parts count? not sure if it applys but since its mag feed and not ground mounted/heavy I imagine  922r applies. Maybe we can just squeze american ar/ak/fal fcg in place to cover a few parts, mag fllower and floor plate look simple enough. No flash hider or threaded bbl, unless bbl jacket bushing counts.

Not sure which factory parts in the lower have to be bobbed, chopped, or  tossed , havent studied fcg at all, surely somebody here has though.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View panaceabeachbum's Profile Search for other posts by panaceabeachbum

glassmountains

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: November 17 2005 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote glassmountains

My understanding is if the gun is not on the list then it does not have to comply.  Like the MG42.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View glassmountains's Profile Search for other posts by glassmountains

glassmountains

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: November 17 2005 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote glassmountains

OK I stand corrected EZFEEDS' explanation makes sense.  I quote him below:

yep, and the 1919 is not a 922R applicable weapon either.

The only reason the RPK is because it qualifies as a "rifle" and not a "firearm". There are big diffferences in these classifications. "Firearm classification" is just a general classififcation that is set aside for weapons that do not fall into any other clasification.

Here's a short and quick list for you:

1. "rifles" (only semiautomatic) all weapons in this classification alone are 922R applicable 
  2. "SBR", "SBS", "firearms", "pistols", "AOW", weapons in this category ARE NOT 922R applicable.

Weapons that are belt fed, fire from a tripod, are heavy, and all aspects of a ground gun are usually classed in the general category as "firearms". 1919's, M2's, Maxims, Vickers, MG-34/42, and RPD are classed as firearms due to heir weight and impracticality of being SHOULDER FIRED and that aspect is necessary for a weapon to be classed as a "rifle" since a rifle is defined as a shoulder fired weapon.

MG-34/42's are not 922R applicable because they are not "shoulder fired" but rather "shoulder supported" weapons. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!

The RPD, specifically our copies of the RPD will NOT require 922R compliance parts. Dont believe me???????

Look here. Go to the RPD section and click on the ATF letter at the bottom of the page.  http://www.vectorarms.com/indexframe.html  (note, the requirements for marking are not required for homebuilds, only commercial manufacturers)

Weapons like the RPK, Bren, Madsen, etc,,, that are light magazine fed weapons are all 922R applicable because they are classed as "rifles" namely due to their ability to accept a magazine.

You guys need to learn this and teach others the same. Only through  education will our hobby ever be sucessful and survive.

Pull together guys and spread what you learn. :)

EZFEED

2LT
2LT

Posted: November 17 2005 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote EZFEED

This one ought not to be 922R applicable because it can be considered a ground gun and not shoulder fired.

Should have an awsome amount of room in that lower for a simple replacment FCG like PBB said.

Is this thing hammer fired? If so it might be possible to just eliminate the components in the FCG that facilitate FA fire, plane one side of the original FCG down, add a shim to the inside of the trigger housing to prevent unmodified parts interchange, and then be able to utilize the original setup in a modified form.

panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: November 18 2005 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

Yep its hammer fired, looks like an ak hammer and sear except a few extra parts, I think just a matter of eliminating the fa trip and a block welded in place. But I've not taken enough time to look it over.  If I knew the 922r status for sure I would move this one up on my list of projects since it should be nearly as easy as assembling a fal.  I know the mg13 was originaly a different gun with diff designation and  fitted with a huge water jacket and fired off a tripod, was then fitted with a light jacket/bbl and rebaged the mg13. Its def not on the non importable list, but it does use a conventinal magazine.

panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: November 21 2005 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

anybody that appreciates over engineered over machined german MG's should really jump on one of these while IMA has the sets with rec scrap. Other than bieng a little ragged from poor storage these things are awesome.

glassmountains

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: March 01 2006 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote glassmountains

I missed the kits from IMA w/receiver scrap.  Anyone have a kit they would like to get rid of for cash or trade?

uziman

E-2
E-2

Posted: April 10 2007 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote uziman

I HOPE THIS THREAD ISNT DEAD YET!!!!!! i HAVE AN EXTRA MG13 RECIEVER..TOP COVER...AND A FEW OTHER PARTS.  MINE IS AN OMEGA IMPORT FROM MANY YEARS AGO....AN EASY FIX FOR A SEMI PROJECT! IS ANYONE WORKING ON THE MG13????????

View uziman's Profile Search for other posts by uziman

ppsh41

CSM
CSM

Posted: April 10 2007 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote ppsh41

my kit needs a receiver before i can start the semi build
View ppsh41's Profile Search for other posts by ppsh41

glassmountains

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: April 10 2007 at 10:48pm | IP Logged Quote glassmountains

uziman wrote:

I HOPE THIS THREAD ISNT DEAD YET!!!!!! i HAVE AN EXTRA MG13 RECIEVER..TOP COVER...AND A FEW OTHER PARTS.  MINE IS AN OMEGA IMPORT FROM MANY YEARS AGO....AN EASY FIX FOR A SEMI PROJECT! IS ANYONE WORKING ON THE MG13????????

PM sent

panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: April 14 2007 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

I loaned my rec out in Jan to a fellow looking to reproduce it and am waiting on it to return, hopefully will have it back in a week or so and will post as I go

panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: July 15 2007 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

Have my demilled rec back in hand and everything is layed out on the bench to get started, any input, thoughts or otherwise useful info is greatly appreciated.

uziman1957

SFC
SFC

Posted: July 18 2007 at 10:32pm | IP Logged Quote uziman1957

I have some extra reciever parts to donate to the project if you need them....the 13 would make a nice shooter,very cool

View uziman1957's Profile Search for other posts by uziman1957

hacker

E-2
E-2

Posted: October 11 2011 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote hacker

Hi, looking for a receiver or at least some pics of one. Have cash or kits for trade. Any one have a spare receiver or kit??

Thank You, Hacker

View hacker's Profile Search for other posts by hacker

pitfighter

Private
Private

Posted: March 04 2014 at 12:27am | IP Logged Quote pitfighter

This is an old thread I know -
But my IMA MG13 is missing the hammer - if anyone has a spare, please contact me via PM.

Thank you,

Pit.
View pitfighter's Profile Search for other posts by pitfighter

<< Prev Topic MG13 Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version