Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 19 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 21

We have 2 member(s), 9 spiders, 19 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
Paraquat, Fritz the Cat

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (46):

Mossberg 185 Bolt Action Shotgun
Weaponeer Forums : Weapon History

Posted in Weapon History
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 16 2010 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

O.F. Mossberg & Sons is an American firearms manufacturer, specializing in shotguns, scopes and firearm accessories. Oscar Frederick Mossberg, a native of Sweden, came to the United States in 1886. He worked in the bicycle plant of Iver Johnson, a native of Norway who became became famous for his revolver. Together with his two sons Iver and Harold, O.F. Mossberg founded O.F. Mossberg and Sons in 1919

Shotguns in the bolt actions used a (73/83 series) to designate (410), while the (85 series) was 20 ga., (90 series) was the 16ga., and the (95 series) was the 12ga.

The Mossberg 185 is a 20-gauge bolt action shotgun, with variants produced between 1948 and 1964

Model D
The original model produced from 1947-1950. The gun was distributed with three choke tubes, which mount by screwing to the outside of the barrel, as opposed to the inside, like the Remington 870 or other modern shotguns. The shotgun was shipped with a wrench for removing the choke tubes.

Weight 6 1/4 lbs, barrel, 25" with three interchangeable choke tubes, Modified, Full & Improved Cylinder

The shotgun will only accept 2 1/2 & 2 3/4-inch shotshells, and will not accept larger magnum shells.

While the magazine only holds two shells, it is possible to load three into the shotgun by first loading a shell into the chamber and then inserting a full magazine.

The stock on the shotgun, a Monte Carlo-style, also has a pistol grip shape with a black plastic trigger guard with finger ridges.

Model D-A
Model 185D-A Bolt Action. Produced only in 1950

Model D-B
The Mode D-B featured a change in firing pin design. This variant was produced from 1950 – 1955

Model D-C
The magazine floorplate was changed between the D-B and D-C models. This variant was produced from 1955 – 1958

Model K
3-Shot, Takedown, 20 gauge only (2 3/4-inch), 2 shell detachable magazine.  Weight 6 1/4 lbs, barrel, 26" with variable C-Lect-Choke with ventilated barrel.  Genuine AmericanWalnut Monte Carlo one piece pistol grip stock with recoil pad
Model 185K Bolt Action. Produced only in 1950

Model K-A
Model 185K-A Bolt Action. Produced from 1950 - 1955

Model K-B
Model 185K-B Bolt Action. Produced. 1955 - 1963

Model K-C
Change to trigger and safety lever
Model 185K-C Bolt Action. Produced. 1963 - 1964

Model K-E
change to butt plate.
Model 185K-C Bolt Action. Produced. 1964 - 1964

The Mossberg 185 Bolt Action Shotgun in these photos is a Model D-B made from 1950 to 1955 (old enough to not have a SN)

Agree x 4Funny x 4Informative x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 16 2010 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

The Mossberg 185 Bolt Action Shotgun in these photos is a Model D-B made from 1950 to 1955

Agree x 3Funny x 4
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 16 2010 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I have come close to buying one of these many times. 

They never seem to go up in price or value.  

Joab

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: July 16 2010 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote Joab

A buddy of mine has had one of these for 35 years. Good gun killed many squirrels and rabbits with it.
Agree x 1
View Joab's Profile Search for other posts by Joab

dcorb

BG
BG

Posted: July 16 2010 at 9:31pm | IP Logged Quote dcorb

I killed a few beer cans with mine. Great gun for $60.
View dcorb's Profile Search for other posts by dcorb

Dave D

Private
Private

Posted: February 28 2011 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote Dave D

Model 185D-B was my very first shotgun, bought new by my Dad in 1956 from Western Auto for my 13th birthday. This gun is now being given to my 13 yr old son for his first shotgun. It is in excellent condition for a 53 yr old gun, a true die hard.
View Dave D's Profile Search for other posts by Dave D

speedy

Private
Private

Posted: April 22 2013 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote speedy

My clip for this gun got misplaced in a move if anyone knows how or where I can get one let me know
View speedy's Profile Search for other posts by speedy

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 23 2013 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

TxCoyote

Private
Private

Posted: April 23 2013 at 7:56am | IP Logged Quote TxCoyote

I have my grandfather's 183D-B.  It's a lovely little .410 which points naturally for me and has very little recoil.  It's taken a few rabbits in its day.  The only way I can see it differs from the pics above is that has an internal (not removable) magazine.  I liked it so much as a kid that I bought a 395T (with a fixed full choke) for my grown-up 12ga.  Not that I'm very grown-up.
View TxCoyote's Profile Search for other posts by TxCoyote

superqualicast

Private
Private

Posted: June 18 2013 at 12:49am | IP Logged Quote superqualicast

Its too old weapon. I like it seeing again..
View superqualicast's Profile Search for other posts by superqualicast

iheartleslie1989

Private
Private

Posted: October 03 2013 at 5:49pm | IP Logged Quote iheartleslie1989

Where can I find an original stock for my 185k ?? Please help!
View iheartleslie1989's Profile Search for other posts by iheartleslie1989

backbencher

2LT
2LT

Posted: October 04 2013 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Picked up @ a pawnshop for $40, killed my 1st squirrel w/ the 16ga, sold it to the Presbyterians' gun buy back for $50.

<< Prev Topic Weapon History Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version