Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 45 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 46

We have 1 member(s), 7 spiders, 45 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
junkcollector

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (65):

Savage 110E conversion to 6.5x47 Lapua
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 24 2010 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I just received my McGowen Precision Barrel in 6.5x47 Lapua for my Savage 100e conversion from 30.06 to 6.5x47. And the barrel is incredible!

McGowen sells Savage Pre-Fit Rifle Barrels

Made from only certified 4140 Chrome Moly and includes bluing of your choice. Price is for any of our standard contours up to 26" long.

Sale for the remainder of August! Get 15% off your order if placed before the end of August.

Normal price $260.00 - 15% = $221.00 + shipping & handling!

if you have a Savage 110 you want to rebarrel really cheap, now is the time to do it.

I still need to wait for the barrel tool, compensator, and a stock but I'll post the progress here.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 24 2010 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

link to the barrels

http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/catalog4.htm

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 25 2010 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

JP Rifles is providing the JP Tactical Compensator, 9/16-28 TPI, .750 Outside diameter, .281 exit. (SOF/Tactical/USPSA Limited legal)

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: August 25 2010 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

I can't wait to see this bad boy! I still have my Benchmark 6.5 Lapua barrel waiting patiently for me to get off my butt and and get an action to screw it into....

I have a set of headspace gauges (go and no-go)if you need to borrow them.
View hawcer's Profile Search for other posts by hawcer

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 25 2010 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

hawcer wrote:
I can't wait to see this bad boy! I still have my Benchmark 6.5 Lapua barrel waiting patiently for me to get off my butt and and get an action to screw it into....

I have a set of headspace gauges (go and no-go)if you need to borrow them.

if you have the 6.5x47 go and no-go I could really use them.

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: August 25 2010 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

Yep, I have them for the 6.5x47....when you need them , PM me your address.

wdoyle1980

MSG
MSG

Posted: August 25 2010 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote wdoyle1980

I have the M200 (the 110 w/o accutrigger).  I picked it up a while ago from WholesaleHunter.  I love it, but 3006 is a bit pricey for me lately.  I wanted to convert it to 223rem since I reload a lot for that round (less lead and less powder than the 3006 reloads).    Not sure what is really required for that.  I assume that the long action can support the 223 and would just need barrel + bolt held, right?
View wdoyle1980's Profile Search for other posts by wdoyle1980

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 25 2010 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

wdoyle1980 wrote:
I have the M200 (the 110 w/o accutrigger).  I picked it up a while ago from WholesaleHunter.  I love it, but 3006 is a bit pricey for me lately.  I wanted to convert it to 223rem since I reload a lot for that round (less lead and less powder than the 3006 reloads).    Not sure what is really required for that.  I assume that the long action can support the 223 and would just need barrel + bolt held, right?

In my case it's just a barrel.  I use the same bolt due to the same Approx case head size.

for a smaller round you would also replace the bolt head.

My 110e was my hunting rifle, but it's been nearly 20 years since I hunted, and I hate the idea of the rifle just sitting there. this way I can purchase the reloading dies and just go back to reloading, and because I also have a 6.5 Grendel they can share the same bullet.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 25 2010 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I'm sure a few people are asking "why 6.5x47 Lapua?"

The 6.5 Lapua is not very old.  It was born in 2005 (in Finland)specifically for long-range benchrest shooting, with chamber dimensions optimized for target bullets.

The 6.5x47 has a base diameter and overall length similar to the 7.62x51 mm (5mm shorter) in a (.264) caliber bullet, allowing it to accept the same bolt heads and fit into similar actions and magazines, so a conversion from 30.06 is just as simple.

The 6.5x47mm was designed from the beginning by Lapua to optimize accuracy, barrel life, and case capacity in a 6.5mm cartridge for target shooting. It is proving superior in these attributes when compared to other 6.5mm cartridges for competition shooting despite being in the same class as the 6.5 Creedmore, and 260 Remington.

It provides ballistics similar to the 6.5x55 and close to the .300 Win. Mag, but without the recoil and with low wind drift and 63,000 max PSI.

A typical Match load would be Sierra 120gr at 3068 fps w/39gr of Reloader 15 (it will shoot the 107gr at 3250 fps with .25 inch groups)

so I'm trading a 1 MOA barrel for a .25 MOA barrel good for 1000 yards, and thats worth reloading for.

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: August 25 2010 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

Let me know what die set you go with and how it works for you. The best deal seemed to be the Forster Benchrest set and for a little more you can get the set with the competition type seating die with the micrometer.
Agree x 1

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 25 2010 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

hawcer wrote:
Let me know what die set you go with and how it works for you. The best deal seemed to be the Forster Benchrest set and for a little more you can get the set with the competition type seating die with the micrometer.

I expect to get the Forster Bench Rest 2-Die Set ($67.99)

I need to start buying some new reloading tools

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 28 2010 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

hawcer wrote:
Yep, I have them for the 6.5x47....when you need them , PM me your address.

received them today.....   thanks!

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 28 2010 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

weaponeer wrote:
JP Rifles is providing the JP Tactical Compensator, 9/16-28 TPI, .750 Outside diameter, .281 exit. (SOF/Tactical/USPSA Limited legal)

The JP Enterprises Sponsored Brake showed up on Friday and as with all JP products it's a work of art.

The 6.5x47 is not what you would call a heavy recoiling caliber, and upon inspection of the brake the dual chamber design, and the ability to correct for right and left hand shooters really makes it a nice design.

I checked for alignment issues and McGowen Precision Barrels did a fantastic job not only on the barrel, but the muzzle threads are perfect and even has the proper step for the crush washer which I didn't expect.

The combination of the JP Brake and the McGowen should not only a night recoiling rifle (if any recoil at all) but this rifle should have some real accuracy potential.

Nobody seems to have the stock I'm really looking for as far as bedding, and so far the Choate stock seems to be coming out on top due to the aluminum bedding block.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 30 2010 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

The review of the barrel I'm using can be found here:

6.5x47 Lapua 26 inch Stainless Steel with 11 degree Target Crown.

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13600& ; ;PN=1

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 30 2010 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

The Muzzle brake as everyone knows is the JP tactical brake.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 30 2010 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

The Stock choice was not easy.

There are many stocks on the market designed to replace the factory stock.  I looked a many brands including Choate and Bell and Carlson for synthetic stocks, and richards for wood stocks.

I came very close to getting a Richards stock but I sent them an email to find out how long it would take to ship last week and I'm still waiting for a reply, which means it's going to take too long.

I like the wood stock look and feel, but to get accuracy out of it it needs perfect bedding, and the richards microfit stocks are only 98%  done needing additional fitting.  and it's not the wood work that bothers me it's the epoxy bedding thats messy and generally not much fun. and becuase the Richards stock lacks an Aluminum bedding block, epoxy is the only way to bed it for any good accuracy.

That little item removed the wood stock from my options list.  My rifle came with a laminated stock, so replacing that with another one without bedding is a non-starter.

I then did research on the common synthetic stocks on the market and all the high reviews were going to Choate.  at that point I focused my research on Choate, and even called them and talked to them on the phone.

The aluminum bedding block in the Choate stocks has been providing significant gains in accuracy and while a bit heavy they have been getting a lot of praise for accuracy.

So the Stock choice will be the Choate Tactical stock (not the Ultimate Sniper). the Tactical stock is more conventional looking with an adjustable spacer system to adjust the length of pull, rail on bottom of forend to attach a bipod and sling swivels on both sides (and black)

the stock will look about like this:

here is the Choate compared to the HS Precision vertical grip stock (Choate on top)

so it's a good looking stock.

Below you can see the V-Shape aluminum bedding block, which you can still add epoxy bedding for the perfect fit if you wish.

The stock is about a lb heavier then others on the market (approx Choate Stock Weight: 3.7 lbs), but also a LOT cheaper.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 30 2010 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I forgot to point out that the McGowen Precision 6.5x47 Lapua Barrel I'm using is the Stainless Steel 26 inch version.

in the review I stated they use certified 416R Rifle Barrel steel.

I had to look that one up...

416R Chromium Stainless Steel

416R is a pre-hardened chromium stainless steel which is suitable for use in precision match-grade rifle barrels

• Good machinability for gun drilling and reaming, plus excellent polishability for uniform lapping, necessary for bore accuracy.
  • A homogeneous microstructure which responds to heat treat providing a uniform hardness along the length of the bar, necessary for accurate button rifling to precise groove dimensions.
  • An optimum combination of high tensile strength along with adequate toughness to withstand the typical chamber pressures encountered during firing.
  • Good corrosion resistance to inhibit rusting and which also helps to minimize fouling. Crucible 416R provides a durable finish which does not pit when properly maintained.
  • Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

weaponeer

Admin Group
    Admin Group

Posted: August 30 2010 at 9:05pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

The trigger for the build will be a Timney fully adjustable Rifle Trigger.

The scope is a 30mm Super Sniper with Buris base

I should have everything for the build by Sept 8th if all goes as planned.

I expect to be building the rifle on Sept 11th

The build really should not take long (couple hours) and will be fully documented.

I'll have my Bullpup SKS finished by then as well

hawcer

CSM
    CSM

Posted: August 31 2010 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote hawcer

Excellent stock choice!
    If I would have gone that route my 6.5 would have been done already.

weaponeer

Admin Group
    Admin Group

Posted: September 01 2010 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

After this Monday the only thing I'll be waiting for is the Stock.

I "might" remove the old barrel this weekend, but first I need to take it to the range and shoot a group as it is.

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

Page of 5 Next >>
      Post ReplyPost New Topic
    Printable version Printable version