Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 31 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 31

We have 0 member(s), 8 spiders, 31 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (58):

Savage 110E conversion to 6.5x47 Lapua
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 08 2010 at 4:52pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I have everything for the build except the stock, and Choate says it will be here on time.

Even have the glass bedding for it...

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 09 2010 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote centex

i have the same stock on a truck headed this way. i'm using a shilen barrel on a stevens action. i couldn't resist, a store in the area ran a sale on a choice of 7mm-08 or 270 in the  stevens for $ 179.00 last month. my hang up is a stinking go gauge. but got some time to burn, still trying to get the right load on my last project.

hope we all love our new 6.5x47s

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 09 2010 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

centex wrote:

i have the same stock on a truck headed this way. i'm using a shilen barrel on a stevens action. i couldn't resist, a store in the area ran a sale on a choice of 7mm-08 or 270 in the  stevens for $ 179.00 last month. my hang up is a stinking go gauge. but got some time to burn, still trying to get the right load on my last project.

hope we all love our new 6.5x47s

Your also building the 6.5 Lapua?

I already have loading data, but not components or dies yet.

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 09 2010 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote centex

ithink i'll have everything here friday

except go gauge

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 09 2010 at 12:43am | IP Logged Quote centex

midway backordered yet again today

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 09 2010 at 1:14am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Thats what happened to the Barrel I was trying to order from them.

I ended up getting the McGowen barrel, and I ended up with a better barrel and cheaper than Midway. I did end up getting a couple things from Midway but not much at all. it was always out of stock.

If your Stock was backordered, buy direct from Choate. they will do anything they can to get you the stock you need when you need it.

for reamers and gauges I normally use

Pacific Tool & Gaugefficeffice" />>>

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 09 2010 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote centex

it's a great day in the neighborhood. found a go gauge, on it's way. I got my choate tactical out of Colorado took a whooping 3 days on the brown ground. so i'll miss the weekend build for the 6.5x47 but still working loads on my 22-6mm AI. it's on a mauser 98.

everything i read says RL 15 is the way to go, that's a good thing, my 308, 250-3000 and 22-250AI really thrive on it.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 09 2010 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I'm still waiting on the stock yet, so I don't know if I'll make the weekend Home build yet or not.

RL 15 is the powder to use..  everyone states they can the best groups with it.

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: September 09 2010 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

Yep, reloader-15 is supposed to be the best for the 6.5 Lapua. I am also going to try Varget...since my 308 and 223 love it so much.

I also want to give the Amax bullets a try in it. They worked great in my 223 and 243.

But alas...I need to get my rifle together first.   
View hawcer's Profile Search for other posts by hawcer

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 09 2010 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

hawcer wrote:
Yep, reloader-15 is supposed to be the best for the 6.5 Lapua. I am also going to try Varget...since my 308 and 223 love it so much.

I also want to give the Amax bullets a try in it. They worked great in my 223 and 243.

But alas...I need to get my rifle together first.   

I think we need a rifle building Race....  

It's the only way I can win... 

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 10 2010 at 12:54am | IP Logged Quote centex

my choate showed up today, only took 2 days via ground srevice. dropped the existing stevens in it..... like a glove, but i'm confused about the bipod mount. unlike the choate ultimate stocks it has no way to lock the mount in place in the groove on bottom of forend. i must be to stupid to see what keeps it from sliding off the weapon other than tension from bipod mount. anyway hope to have my new go gauge next monday or tuesday, everything else is here. pretty blue box of brass, some redding and forster dies, shiny select shilen barrel.

perhaps someday i'll bump into  y'all during daylight hours.

yippy ki yea

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 10 2010 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

centex wrote:

my choate showed up today, only took 2 days via ground srevice. dropped the existing stevens in it..... like a glove, but i'm confused about the bipod mount. unlike the choate ultimate stocks it has no way to lock the mount in place in the groove on bottom of forend. i must be to stupid to see what keeps it from sliding off the weapon other than tension from bipod mount. anyway hope to have my new go gauge next monday or tuesday, everything else is here. pretty blue box of brass, some redding and forster dies, shiny select shilen barrel.

perhaps someday i'll bump into  y'all during daylight hours.

yippy ki yea

Your one step ahead of me...  I still have not ordered the dies, brass, bullets or powder.

I also need to get the dies for the 6.5 Grendel so I can share the rest between rifles for some really nice and accurate loads.

It takes 50 rounds to break in the barrel and 6.5 Lapua is EXPENSIVE for factory ammo at around $2.50 per round, so it's going to be a while before the rifle starts making some noise.

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 10 2010 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote centex

yo, weaponeer, the best price i found on brass and bullets for the 6.5x47 was at powder valley.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 10 2010 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I just received my Choate stock.  I'm impressed! and it's  MUCH MUCH lighter than I was expecting.

I do see what you are talking about in regards to the bipod mount. It was designed for a Harris Bipod that pulls from the center, but the bipod base rests on each side of the channel, so it "should" tighten down pretty good.

Actually I had considered a Picatinny rail that would replace that channel on the stock.

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 10 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote centex

seems a tinny rail might cause a problem if shooting off bag or rucksack

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 10 2010 at 1:00pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

centex wrote:
seems a tinny rail might cause a problem if shooting off bag or rucksack

Only needs to be upfront.  the funny part is it's possible to attach it using the rail, so it would slide in and tighten down.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 10 2010 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I did a quick review of the Choate Stock.  it really is a nice stock.

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13712& ;PN=1

I should be shooting my rifle by next weekend, but reloading for it will take a bit longer.

I need to build a bench for working on rifles, cleaning, and reloading....

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 10 2010 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote centex

hope you have some room. my reloading room is about 14 by 20 is packed to the rafters. but i do have 3 different dillion machines because i'm to dang lazy to change primer feeder tubes. a couple of conventional presses and 2 MEC machines. about 80 pounds of powder, somewhere around 55,000 primers, about 20,000 pieces of various brass and boocoo projectiles. 47 years of reloading.

i try to get in around a 1000 rounds a month between rifles and handguns. got my own range here at the ranch and i shoot with our sheriff dept.

now they have a cool deal. the ALERRT CENTER ( advanced law enforcement rapid response training ). walking and running targets, rifle range and the best...a shoot house, complete with flashbangs.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 10 2010 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Dillion and MEC... 

I can only dream about owning such nice machines.

I just have my trust rusty RCBS single stage press. Actually I have not done any reloading in years.  I loved reloading, but surplus ammo ended up being cheaper, so I would shoot a case or two every range outing.

Now the surplus has generally dried up thanks to the UN, so it's back to the reloading again.  it's about time I dusted off the dies anyway due to having the 6.5 Grendel, and 221 Fireball.

I recently moved, and now I'm 8 miles from a nice range (nothing as nice as yours). given the chance I would be at the range every day and my little old RCBS would never keep up..

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 11 2010 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote centex

with the price of factory ammo where it is now, i have no idea how folks afford to practice.

i load: 32sw, 32-20, 25-20, 38-40,44-40, 45 colt, 38-55, 380, 9mm, 38 super, 9mm, 38/357, 40sw, 45acp, 222, 223, 223AI, 22-250,22-250AI, 22-6MM AI, 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 25-06, 270, 7MM-08, 7MM MAG, 308 and now 6.5x47 Lupau. probably missed a couple.

dang typing it out I notice i'm missing the .244's. so many clibers to shoot... so little time.

anyway just biding time till the go-gauge arrives to put the new 6.5 together.

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version