Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 31 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 33

We have 2 member(s), 5 spiders, 31 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
tpvsu8, oruze

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (75):

Savage 110E conversion to 6.5x47 Lapua
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 11 2010 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I know how you feel...

22, 22 Mag, 32 ACP, 9mm, 7.62x25, 40 S&W, 38 special, 357 Mag, 38 Super, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 50 AE, 221 Fireball, 7.62x51

Thats just the Pistols I shoot

22lr, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 303 brit, 5.56mm, 5.45x39, 7.5 swiss, 8mm Mauser, 30.06, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x47 Lapua, 50 BMG, 7.62x51

and that "should" be the rifle calibers.

I shoot around 26 calibers, and lucky for me much of it I had as surplus and I have a case or two. some of it is for belt feds so it does not last very long even in case lots.

I shoot a lot of high speed video, and getting back to the reloading  mixed with the video would allow me to slow down the bullet, and save powder at the same time.  other weapons I want very slow burning powder for effect when shooting the MP5 sized G3 in 7.62x51, so I get a large fireball (the same for the 50 AE, and 357 Mag)

On video you want a big flash, so it would be nice to reload ammo just for those purposes.  Plinking needs just enough power to run the weapon, target needs to be perfect, video needs flash and high speed needs a slow bullet.

You just cannot get that using factory ammo, and these days it's just too expensive.

all my reloading is low tech, so it's slow. in fact I just purchased a Lee auto prime after 20 years of on and off reloading just to speed things up a bit, and add a little more feel.

As I work up loads for the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.5 Lapua I plan on adding that information to the reloading section here to share what I learn along the way.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 11 2010 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

A few more photos of parts being used in the project

Burris Scope Mount

Timney Trigger

30mm SS 10x Scope and heavy Duty Rings

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 11 2010 at 5:57pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

for information only

The stock trigger pull on my rifle has an avg of 3 lb 10.4 oz (Lyman trigger pull gauge)

it's actually a fine trigger with no over travel or slop at all. now keep in mind the rifle that I have is pre accutrigger.

we will see how the Timney trigger performs compared to the stock trigger.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 11 2010 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I just realized I have not posted a photo of the donor rifle. My old Savage 110e in 30.06.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 11 2010 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Old 30.06 barrel compared to the new heavier and longer 6.5x47 Lapua barrel.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 11 2010 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

The old action was easy to remove two slightly loose bolts (good reminder to check your bolts yearly).

In fact all the bolts on this build will be perfectly torqued using the 12 Torque Setting Driver from Borka tools. (look for a review of this tool in the near future.)

I did a test fit into the Choate stock and it fit like a glove, and as for free floating, the barrel has enough room for cardboard, and not the typical dollar bill test.

everything is moving along nicely with the conversion.

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 12 2010 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote centex

problems... i'm using a new stevens 200 centerfeed. with magazine installed in new choate the fit took a turn for the worse, also not sure fron action screw hole on stock was not drilled to deep. i had to take 3 threads off of front screw to keep it from protruding into the chamber and actually locking the bolt.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 12 2010 at 1:35am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

centex wrote:
problems... i'm using a new stevens 200 centerfeed. with magazine installed in new choate the fit took a turn for the worse, also not sure fron action screw hole on stock was not drilled to deep. i had to take 3 threads off of front screw to keep it from protruding into the chamber and actually locking the bolt.

I think I heard someone else talking about that issue once, and they ordered bolts from Brownells.

I was not sure if I would have that problem, or if the stock would come with the bolts, so I ordered the longer bolts for mine from Brownells (in the savage case the bolts were not long enough)

when I received my stock it came with the bolts and mine seems to be fine, so it would seem the bolts can be an issue for stock replacements in general.

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 12 2010 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote centex

the issue was not that the factory screws were to short...that's pretty common issue when changing from a factory synthetic stock to an aftermarket wood... like Boyd's Ross  thumbhole. no, the front screws are way long. when i installed the action screw in front, the bolt would not open. loosen the screw a few turns and bolt worked. pulled the bolt and tightened the front screw and it protruded in front of the chamber. i had to take 3 threads of the front screw( the short one) to get things to work correctly. the front hole on the choate is drilled way to deep.

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 12 2010 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote centex

dude, just noticed I got a stripe. i had one of those before. had 2 for about 30 minutes . couldn't stand the pay raise.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 12 2010 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

centex wrote:
dude, just noticed I got a stripe. i had one of those before. had 2 for about 30 minutes . couldn't stand the pay raise.

a stripe here is good news...  no more waiting to get posts approved.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 14 2010 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Little ammo comparison

Above you will see the following rounds from left to right:

7.62x39 - 6.5 Grendel - 6.5x47 Lapua - 7.62x51 - 7.62x54r - 30.06

Above:  Left - 6.5 Grendel   and Right - 6.5x47 Lapua

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 15 2010 at 12:18am | IP Logged Quote centex

the go gauge got here checked it against a new un-fired case, appears i would have been fine using the new brass to headspace the barrel

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 22 2010 at 12:13am | IP Logged Quote centex

been a few days. got the 6.5x47 together. have put 60 rounds downrange. she seems to like 120s. i got .25 moa with sierra 120's with a load of 39.0 and 39.4 RL15. 39.2 lload opened up to .87, these were 5 shot strings. tried some 123 mk and was not pleased... all were above 1 inch. i have not bedded the choate yet, hoping that will really make the 120's impressive.

hope you are making progress. oh, the shilen hasn't showed the slightest indication of copper fouling....just so stinking smooth.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 22 2010 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

centex wrote:

been a few days. got the 6.5x47 together. have put 60 rounds downrange. she seems to like 120s. i got .25 moa with sierra 120's with a load of 39.0 and 39.4 RL15. 39.2 lload opened up to .87, these were 5 shot strings. tried some 123 mk and was not pleased... all were above 1 inch. i have not bedded the choate yet, hoping that will really make the 120's impressive.

hope you are making progress. oh, the shilen hasn't showed the slightest indication of copper fouling....just so stinking smooth.

Pictures, Pictures, we need Pictures...  

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 12 2010 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

here is the finished 6.5 lapua

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 12 2010 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: October 13 2010 at 9:17am | IP Logged Quote centex

wtg. looks great. i have stopped load work up, waiting on new neck bushings to arrive. i made an assumption on chamber neck and went with a .290 bushing....wrong! appears i need a .288 or .287. deer season is approaching so i have had a bunch of folks at the range and doing a lot of gun work for others.

spending what free time i have practicing up for a competion on the 23rd. it's a shoothouse shootout lol.

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: October 13 2010 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote hawcer

This really has me itching to work on mine...I just can't afford a donor rifle yet.

Good work, I can't wait to see the range report.
View hawcer's Profile Search for other posts by hawcer

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 13 2010 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I still need to replace the high scope rings for low scope rings, but it should be all set for a range test as it is, as well as to break it in.

The trigger pull is currently set at 2 lb 11 oz for the initial break in.

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version