Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 30 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 30

We have 0 member(s), 9 spiders, 30 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (75):

Savage 110E conversion to 6.5x47 Lapua
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 20 2010 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

ok, range report.......

I was finally able to get the 6.5 Lapua to the range today, and the conditions were less than perfect.

TEMP 61 degrees F

Hum. 44%

Wind 7 MPH to 14 MPH gusts and changing direction every few minutes

Light Rain.

so the whole target stand was blowing over with a 30 lb weight on it to keep it there. so basically the target was moving a bit, so I didn't expect to get much for groups.

I started out buy shooting 1 round, and cleaning it, then adjusting the scope after each round (it was off by around 14 inches) so after 3 round, clean again, then doing the same thing.

I thought it was good enough so I moved the target out to around 150 yards and figured I would shoot a 2 - 3 round groups.

due to the conditions I was expecting 1 MOA at best with the factory ammo, and with reloads I figured the rifle would do an easy .75 inch group at 100 yards.

DRUM ROLL...................

both 3 round groups were VERY easy to cover with a dime, and the one measured with a very weak battery read 0.49 inch

Not bad at all for the conditions....  and the more I shot it the tighter it was shooting.

I would say the Budget sniper rifle was a major success, and you can take an old hunting rifle and get easy  SUB MOA accuracy out of it using a McGowen 6.5x47 Lapua Barrel.

Agree x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: October 20 2010 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote hawcer

Excellent! I bet that group made your day. what scope are you using?

Were you shooting factory Lapua ammo...what grain bullet?

This makes me wish I went with a Choate stock and used my Savage model 10 as a donor rifle....oh well, selling it allowed me to finish my Bushmaster 450.

It will happen some day.

And by looking at the second picture...the accuracy is repeatable...notice the small group in the upper right?

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View hawcer's Profile Search for other posts by hawcer

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 20 2010 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Scope is a Super Sniper 10x44 30mm  (around a $300 scope)

Ammo was Lapua Factory Ammo

123 gr Scenar HPBT @ 2788.713 FPS (they shoot best at around 2950 FPS)

and yes, I'm very happy with the group!!!!

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:19am | IP Logged Quote centex

dang! another shooter who can't hit a dime.

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote centex

really a fine group. perhaps when deer season finally opens here i will be able to get back to spending time on my guns instead of tuning others.

did you load RL 15 or perhaps H4350?

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 21 2010 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

centex wrote:

really a fine group. perhaps when deer season finally opens here i will be able to get back to spending time on my guns instead of tuning others.

did you load RL 15 or perhaps H4350?

This was factory ammo

hgiddy

Private
Private

Posted: September 14 2011 at 2:11pm | IP Logged Quote hgiddy

Hey Weaponeer

Awesome work, What is the final weight of the rifle?

Thanks
Henry
View hgiddy's Profile Search for other posts by hgiddy

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 14 2011 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I built the rifle to be fired from a precision rifle rest, and not carried in the field, so it weighs 12.5 lbs

between the JP Brake and the weight, the rifle kicks like a 22 mag, but can easily shoot past 1,000 yards

hgiddy

Private
Private

Posted: September 15 2011 at 5:05am | IP Logged Quote hgiddy

Awesome thanks

I want to build a rifle based on very much the same spec, also 6x47 mostly for use at a range but once a year use it for 1 day walking hunt for Blesbuck I have on a farm here in South Africa.

So the primary focus is for precision work so I was hoping I could go along the same build you had, I love the barrell countour though that you have  and dont want to give that up, but keep it down to 11.5 lbs

Cheers

View hgiddy's Profile Search for other posts by hgiddy

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 16 2011 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote centex

hello from centex. been a while. got a note talking about the 6.5 lapua. i just got mine out day before yesterday, had not fired it in probably 6 months. i just love it. in fact i have another savage action and thinking about putting another one together using a 30 in bull this time. perhaps a mcbarrel, my current is a 26 shilen varmint.

good to see you are still at it.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 16 2011 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I love my 6.5x47 Rifle, and all it's components. It's so incredibility accurate, that it's a joy to shoot long range.

I credit the McGowen 0.95 dia barrel,  and I really think the JP Brake helps as well (I even crowned the brake so it had consistant edges, especially at the muzzle, so the gasses would be as consistant as possible when the bullet left the brake).

I have yet to do any reloading for this caliber because I need to update my 25+ year old press.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 16 2011 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I love my 6.5x47 Rifle, and all it's components. It's so incredibility accurate, that it's a joy to shoot long range.

I credit the McGowen 0.95 dia barrel,  and I really think the JP Brake helps as well (I even crowned the brake so it had consistant edges, especially at the muzzle, so the gasses would be as consistant as possible when the bullet left the brake).

I have yet to do any reloading for this caliber because I need to update my 25+ year old press.

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 17 2011 at 12:19pm | IP Logged Quote centex

well i got some time to my self last evening on my own range. so many shooters need a place to practice it's got hard for me to have time for my own shooting.

anyway, the lapua is just so sweet. i shoot some 120s and some 123s. same type of groups you're getting as long as I get the jump just right. my seirra 120s love .011 jump while the 123s do their thing at .013. i'm still having my best performance with IMR 4350. i just can't get RL 15 to the same level. also i'm shooting my best groups now with standard Winchester small  primers. i've tried all the high dollar benchrest types but the plain old winchesters out shoot them.

know i said i might put another one togther using a 30 inch tube but really I want to go short. 20 inch maybe, I haven't seen any comments anywhere on that tube length for our beloved 6.5x47.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 17 2011 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

The 6.5(x39) Grendel only needs an 18 inch barrel, so I would think the 6.5x47 would do well at 20 inches

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 18 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote centex

it's just hard to spend the money on quality barrel only to whack off  23% or so of it's length and hope she still pounds those small groups.

if i work up the nerve i'll let you know how it turns out.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 19 2011 at 11:41am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

My barrel Specs are as follows

• Make: McGowen 
  • Caliber 6.5x47 lapua
  • Length: 26 Inch non-Tapered
  • Dia: 0.95 (Heavy Varmint or Bull)
  • Type: certified 416R Stainless Steel
  • Twist 1 in 8 (6 groove)
  • Bore: 256
  • Groove: 264
  • Crown: 11 Degree
  • Brake: JP Standard-Profile Tactical Compensator (approx 70% recoil reduction)

I should be shooting mine next weekend, so I "should" have chronograph data for mine with Factory Lapua Ammo, so I'll have spot on data/dope for my rifle log book.

My weather data will come from my Kestrel 4500 NV

centex

E-3
E-3

Posted: September 19 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote centex

i have never chronographed a single load. all i care is they hit in the same spot. never had any type of target duck or dodge a properly placed shot. did keep weather dope years ago but decided i just needed to lick my finger and hold it up in the air. came to realize that just about every weapon i fire will out shoot my abilities so not much sense in me over thinking things. besides i'm seem to always to be playing with my loads. think i have settled on a load for my 40 year rem 700 25-06 lol.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: June 25 2012 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I'll be taking the 6.5x47 Lapua out for a few groups this summer.

Best 5 shot group from my rifle has been 0.312 MOA with factory ammo.

Center to Center Avg was 0.327 Inch. The rifle really needs a super high quality rifle.

Not bad for a Savage 110e 30.06 to 6.5x47 Lapua rebarrel.

Desert

Private
Private

Posted: March 25 2013 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Desert

I just happened to run across your u-tube post on the 6.5x47Lapua build...   I did much the same thing with my Savage 12FL, I bought it originally in .308 win (left-handedshort-action.  I bought nearly the same barrel you did, except the barrel was tapered to .808", I had SSS install one of there muzzle brakes, all other specs were the same. 

The rifle has a Timed and Trued Bolt with competition trigger set at 2oz...  the bolt has been Fluted and an over sized tactical ss bolt handle has been installed.  The stock is a Choate ultimate varminter aluminum chasse.  It has a 20moa Farrel base and rings with a Leupold 6.5x20 with varmint reticule.  Sports several Harris bipods extends to 25" and an inexpensive one that runs from 6-12".  I've only run 180 rounds through it, all hand-loads, I reloaded for nearly 40yrs now.

I did the paint job....  The rifle shoots better than I can, best groups --best .13"                                                         

View Desert's Profile Search for other posts by Desert

R!OT HAWK

Private
Private

Posted: January 01 2016 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote R!OT HAWK

Sorry to bring up such an old post, but I just picked up a Savage 116 25-06 to use as a donor action and have really been considering having it re-barreled in 6.5x47L. If you dont mind me asking how has the rifle treated you since the last posting?
View R!OT HAWK's Profile Search for other posts by R!OT HAWK

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version