Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 29 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 29

We have 0 member(s), 5 spiders, 29 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (57):

Colt LSW/LMG
Weaponeer Forums : Weapon History

Posted in Weapon History
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Mongo

SFC
SFC

Posted: October 30 2010 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote Mongo

The first M16 LMG was essentially a modified M16A1 with a new square hand guard to cover the enlarged gas tube, a carry handle on top of this hand guard, with a hydraulic buffer and a the ability to fire from an open bolt. An angled fore grip was added to the hand guard to improve handling as an automatic rifle. The first LMG layout can be seen in the patent awarded to Colt engineer Henry Tatro. Rear sights later featured on the M16A2 were also introduced, and the weapon could only fire on the fully automatic setting. Colt initially packaged these weapons with the MWG 90-round "snail drum" (This was before the introduction of the Beta Systems C-Mag). Colt had also originally used the M60 bipod, but switched this to a proprietary design that was lighter for the subsequent Model 750

The Colt Model 750 was an improvement of the basic principle of the Colt LMG, developed jointly by Colt and Diemaco with an eye toward the Canadian Army (though they would eventually select the FN Minimi). The improved version featured all A2 parts and is essentially the same as original variant externally except for the redesigned vertical fore grip, now of a straight cylindrical style that is ribbed. This weapon was marketed by Diemaco as the Diemaco C7 Light Support Weapon (LSW) or simply as the LSW.

Colt and Diemaco further improved on the design, adding a flat top carry handle and a further improved bipod to the weapon sometime during the '90s. The new model number is 950 but is currently marketed as the Colt Automatic Rifle, and until their purchase by Colt, as the Diemaco LSW.

M16A3 LSW or Light Machine Gun is a gas operated, air cooled magazine fed, fully automatic weapon which fires from an open bolt. The gun is equipped with a heavy barrel, vertical hand grip, spigot mounted Parker-Hale bi pod and square cross section hand guards. The M16A3 LSW/LMG shares common features and many parts with the M16A3 rifle. The trigger, hammer, selector, bolt carrier, recoil spring, buffer, bolt catch, and auto sear are all different than the standard M16 components. The M16 LMG is not select fire, it fires fully automatic only. Since a forward assist will not work and would be dangerous on an open bolt machine gun, there is not one on the LMG/LSW and the bolt carrier is without forward assist notches.

The Danish model of the LSW is select fire and fires from a closed bolt. The fire control group is identical to that of the standard M16 rifle. The Danish model also has the forward assist.

The method of operation of the open bolt fire control group is completely different than that of the M16 series of rifles and carbines. The below diagrams from the manual best illustrates how the hammer acts as the sear. The trigger actually pulls the hammer down and out of engagement with the bolt carrier notch. This allows the bolt carrier to go forward and strip and chamber a round. When the bolt carrier fully closes, the hammer is release by the auto sear to fire the cartridge. The cycle continues until the trigger is released or the magazine runs out of ammunition. When the magazine does run out of ammunition, the bolt catch is activated and the bolt carrier is locked back on the catch. When the operator pushes the magazine release button, the extension on the bolt catch is engaged by the button and the bolt carrier drops down onto the hammer/sear and is ready for firing. There is no need for manipulation of the bolt catch to bring the weapon back into action once it is reloaded.

Contrary to the many internet myths about the wear and tear on the lower receiver caused by using the hammer as the sear, I have not experienced any significant wear in two different guns with over 30,000 rounds through them. Most internet posters on the subject have never owned or shot the open bolt version of the Colt M16 LMG.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Mongo's Profile Search for other posts by Mongo Visit Mongo's Homepage

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 31 2010 at 2:11am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I had a guy shooting an original open bolt version next to me at a shoot many years ago
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Mongo

SFC
SFC

Posted: October 31 2010 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Mongo

weaponeer wrote:
I had a guy shooting an original open bolt version next to me at a shoot many years ago

Well if you make it down to Houstin area you can shoot a real one and the Stoner as well, assuming I'm out of the hospital by then.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: October 31 2010 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Mongo wrote:
weaponeer wrote:

Well if you make it down to Houstin area you can shoot a real one and the Stoner as well, assuming I'm out of the hospital by then.

Hospital?

Hope it's nothing major...

I expect more surgery this year, but nothing major (after 10 it's like getting a hair cut).

Get well soon.....

reckoning

1LT
1LT

Posted: October 31 2010 at 11:05pm | IP Logged Quote reckoning

Isn't the port firing gun open bolt as well?
View reckoning's Profile Search for other posts by reckoning

Mongo

SFC
SFC

Posted: November 01 2010 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote Mongo

reckoning wrote:
Isn't the port firing gun open bolt as well?

The port firing weapon is open bolt but uses a completely different system to achieve this.

<< Prev Topic Weapon History Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version