Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
3 members and 22 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 25

We have 3 member(s), 6 spiders, 22 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
Lbwgevatry, berthagh60, AMISITOSMUPMOOWHESEE

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (132):
Lbwgevatry, berthagh60, AMISITOSMUPMOOWHESEE, alllahew, ceceliagt69, rondaaq1, alexandraha3, leighft3, deanneuw16, valeriejy11, gilbertun2, wandauj4, chapelle444, nanniehd69, Laurendrync, angelaac3, laurenmu69, Arrelious, cristinase2, fayenj18, yolandabb2, brianac16, jaweuhifeqoja, uluudavogaamo, carrieuy16, justin22885, donnaol2, bikergunnut, helenadx60, magmills1957, mariannedt4, azajogkazir, ohisnui, ivezopuvaheq, luciakg69, ugasoqijut, ofiiwamujam, oremado, ozesefuvofuaq, alaliwumafci, izisugoju, Mjolnir1317, oliveek11, AlfredTuT, backbencher, flyman, bobbiedp3, hercio, Nick805, geraldwl16, raquelui16, jessieok1, jimdoc, zacharygx4, lisavs60, beatricezn11, samuelgh69, adamxj11, victoriawa60, Frankkic, sidneyyv18, Alleengef, ellenhb60, janvy4, angeliqueep4, ds1948, oliviabv18, adriennesb2, junkcollector, bbrown, ivagj69, lesleynd3, franciscd69, jaredtg69, janettevd3, Juliandaups, eugeneye1, RobertHar, rosalindcp16, gretanr2, myrtlewe2, guadalupeuy4, soniaox2, omegadype, LbrbdxfBlapy, tamikaoy60, franz20, ednagc11, benke, EVrcerKib, Whitneyhix, guywh69, carmennk2, Janiceweeme, mablewk18, mattiesa2, Projex, queenfm60, felixtd2, friedamm11, DaniaLom, Kellyded, angieqn18, oliveep60, lydiayu60, michellevl2, desireevn2, Skiller, ryche, Popawdon, Mdfvtomins, kaitlinnm16, aliciafn60, AlexVardxvot, lorarh11, JosephLiarp, Tanner Frisby, joesr4, tr6guns, sadieyz4, UKBiker, aimeeue11, jackiepx11, JerrySouff, katharinewj4, carloseg11, Thomassluts, Clark-knt, rodneyhe1, lucilejg69, mojaxec, nonamc1

Sportsmansguide M4 type barrel review
Weaponeer Forums : Product Reviews

Posted in Product Reviews
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: December 01 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

Greetings!
This is a review of the Sportsmansguide M4 type barrel that is 16inches long.

Here is the official claim on the website:

1:7" RH twist rifling. Chambered in 5.56 NATO. Includes barrel extension. Barrel threaded for a flash hider.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=606333

This was pointed out in a previous thread as being a low cost barrel. Cost was $99.00 + S&H. But what does it offer?

Here is a nice photo of the threaded muzzle:

Standard A2 and Vortex devices easily thread onto the end. No problems here! Threads were sharp and clean!

The above photo is a rough "bullet" test on the muzzle end. Obviously these are new barrels, but bore specs are important to accuracy. Lacking a muzzle gage, this is my only comparison tool. Wolf 5.56 ammo is used as an example here. As can be seen there is adequate bullet showing.

Barrel end?

I do believe this is chrome lined! See the flash of silver there!

Alternate view above on bore end.

Check out the profile. As claimed, this is an M4 profile:

You can see the location of the gas hole. This was clean and free of debris. I can measure it later, if anyone is interested. It should be a different size than full length barrels due to gas pressures.

Moving down to the chamber/ feed ramp/ barrel extension end:

Nice deep phosphate job! It was tight slipping into my AR upper (Delton) due to the phosphate. The next few photos depict how the extension/ chamber end of the barrel looks. Note that the extension is part of the barrel... as in 1 piece. Convenient since you don't have to buy extra parts... and less problems on assembly. I routinely see barrel extensions (seperate) for $17.00 on up! So this is a good cost savings built in to this AR barrel.

Once again... I am seeing something silver here! This chrome lining doesn't like the phosphate finish, as expected... Nice M4 style feed ramps.

I placed a 5.56 round into the chamber. The following photo demos how far into the chamber it went, by hand.

So would I purchase another one? YES! And actually I did. I am thinking about making an M4A4 and also an AR pistol. This would be a nice low cost barrel for the previous projects.

Since this is a site for builders, I would also make the case that this would be an excellent "project" barrel.

No range report yet due to time and parts needed to assemble a rifle.

I did not see any maker marks, or country of origin (assume US due to import ban?). There is no caliber marking like on some barrels I have purchased.

I would like anyone else's feedback on their SG M4 style barrel!
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View midmichigun's Profile Search for other posts by midmichigun

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 02 2010 at 1:10am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

well done review
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

johnth

Level 1 Site Sponsor
Level 1 Site Sponsor

Posted: December 02 2010 at 4:16am | IP Logged Quote johnth

Thanks it sold me!
View johnth's Profile Search for other posts by johnth

daddy0011

E-3
E-3

Posted: March 19 2011 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote daddy0011

Bought one over a year ago and promptly installed it in a DSA flat top upper and dropped it on a new RRA lower fitted with a RRA 2 stage trigger. Fit on the upper was very good. Installed a Leepers Picatinny clamp-on gas block, which also fit very well. Checked the twist rate to confirm 1/7, also right on! Ditto on the chrome lined chamber, and bore. Range test confirmed it's love for heavy bullets. With Black hills blue box 74 gr. Hornady match bullets, it shot better than my 20" Guatamalan contract Colt upper, which I prize very highly. And yes, I bought two more since to install on my 2 RRA consecutively numbered lowers with TNW billet uppers,  also fit nice. Haven't been to the range with these yet. Just my two cents.

J.K.
View daddy0011's Profile Search for other posts by daddy0011

Toad

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: November 08 2011 at 6:29pm | IP Logged Quote Toad

Nice write up, the last time I looked at S/G no one had done a write of either pro or con on the barrel.
View Toad's Profile Search for other posts by Toad

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: November 08 2011 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

Toad,

Yep. I successfully installed it... no problems on fit or finish or accuracy!

Glad you liked the review!

johnth

Level 1 Site Sponsor
Level 1 Site Sponsor

Posted: November 09 2011 at 7:01pm | IP Logged Quote johnth

Has anyone gotten the AK47 barrel they have?
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/ak-47-barrel.aspx?a=8 91186
Disagree x 1
View johnth's Profile Search for other posts by johnth

boss429

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: December 27 2011 at 10:04pm | IP Logged Quote boss429

Does the m4 barrel have the cuts for the taper pins to mount the front sight?

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: December 28 2011 at 9:20am | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

They do not appear to based on the photo's.

Disagree x 1

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: December 28 2011 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

Boss,

That is a NEGATIVE.... there are NO pin cuts for the front sight.

I was going to post additional photos of the region.... but I am not able to upload photos tonight...

Otherwise the barrel is a "bolt on" deal....

mikey_mick

MSG
MSG

Posted: July 11 2015 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote mikey_mick

I got one of their barrels a couple years ago and I am happy with it. It is more accurate than i expected and all the parts fit together well. I don't think it is chrome lined though.
View mikey_mick's Profile Search for other posts by mikey_mick

<< Prev Topic Product Reviews Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version