Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
3 members and 28 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 31

We have 3 member(s), 5 spiders, 28 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
Paraquat, gzuberi, DuncanBubbaJ

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (50):

Parker Hale 2100 Recr blank
Weaponeer Forums : Other Rifle Builds

Posted in Other Rifle Builds
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: December 24 2010 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

Guys,
I recently picked up a Parker Hale 80% receiver. There is alot of negative discussion on these due to the "association" with Gibbs and they are a "hybrid" system between a Mauser and a 1903 Springfield.

What attracts me to them, is the option for cheap bolts! I have seen bolt bodies for as low as $8.00. Bonnie Forge bolts are also pretty cheap....

I would like input from "youall".

Here are some photos of what I got!

Of obvious import. is the difference in the trigger area. I don't think a 1903 springfield trigger would simply drop in.... hhmmm.... lets look at another place on the receiver:

Notice that there is a block... also the receiver is not bored out in this area. Should be easy enough to run this through, with a endmill on a lathe.

Bolt hole locations would be similar to a 1903, but the receiver tang is certainly different. I tried to fit the receiver into a 1903 stock, and it will NOT fit.

While the receiver isn't threaded, there is alot of meat there. It is interesting that this end has this casting "divet", where the bolt lug passes through. Now my 1903 receiver has a thickness of around .151 (tip of thread to outside wall of receiver). The divet to the wall is .165. So when you machine down the threads, this will disappear.

I have found Parker Hale barrels at Numrich, pretty cheap. However, they are for the 1200 series.  I don't know if they will work?!?!?!

The triggerguards I have found are for around $75.00, but it isn't clear if they fit this model. I don't know if a 1903 trigger guard would fit... but I assume so.

How much was the casting? Its around $26.00 +S&H.

I will update all, if I continue the build!
If anyone has done a build using this receiver blank, I would be interested in information!
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View midmichigun's Profile Search for other posts by midmichigun

Tubagoat

SFC
SFC

Posted: December 24 2010 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Tubagoat

you can get a complete, reworked '03 action for $199.99 from Southern Ohio Gun... plus $25 for a transfer (give or take)
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Tubagoat's Profile Search for other posts by Tubagoat

wdoyle1980

MSG
MSG

Posted: December 24 2010 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote wdoyle1980

Where do you get the receivers and for how much? I couldn't readily find a link.  (I blame the brandy+rum in this egg nog)

View wdoyle1980's Profile Search for other posts by wdoyle1980

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: December 25 2010 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

WD,
They can be purchased here:
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=1139390& amp;catid=10373
Price is $25.70

If you cruise around the 'net, you will find them on Gunbroker.

If I can find a tap (looks to be a bottoming tap due to the termination of the threads) these could be tapped for a barrel, otherwise you will need a lathe to turn the threads.

Does anyone off hand know what the Parker Hale barrel for the 1200 series look like in the threaded portion?

Tuba,
Thanks for the pointer!
View midmichigun's Profile Search for other posts by midmichigun

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 26 2010 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

They sure do look nice.....

You may be better off with a barrel blank.

wdoyle1980

MSG
MSG

Posted: December 27 2010 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote wdoyle1980

The only problem I have with this is that the cost of the heat-treating is so high   If you machine the receiver, it becomes an FFL item, so to ship it back/forth, you'd need to pay someone's FFL transfer, too, right? 

I would like to get one, mold, then cast in alum for super-low pressure rounds like 22lr or maybe even 380acp?  

I would love to pick up a few  and do a 7.62x25 bolt-action or maybe get gundoctor or someone to chamber a 380acp  barrel from a blank - rifle or pistol!   (something common and easy to reload, and lower on the pressure scale) so that maybe a simple torch/oil quench hardening would be required

View wdoyle1980's Profile Search for other posts by wdoyle1980

<< Prev Topic Other Rifle Builds Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version