Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 17 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 17

We have 0 member(s), 6 spiders, 17 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (41):

finally got the bug to tinker again
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  soakandquench

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 26 2011 at 11:04pm | IP Logged Quote soakandquench

for now anyway. the project has been a lifelong experiment, and the latest installment is inletting a bell and carlson stock to fit my good ol mauser 7.62x51. i have had this rifle for more than 20 years. it started as a home project when my dad let me and my brother purchase a couple back in the 80's, and then we sporterized them. well recently i dusted it back off and began to see what i could do to update this rifle a bit. since it does not really have much collector value, and was already irreversibly altered, i thought why not go for the gusto. so here is the first real meaningful post concerning this venture.

about a year ago i decided to remove the rear sight block, since it was hopelessly bent and damaged (in fact it always was) and it would not zero very well. instead i reamed out an AR-15 gas block with picatinny rail and then soldered it to the barrel. this was to make it easy to attach an optic with a QD mount.

just today i once again decided to stop procrastinating and inlet the BC stock for this.

the next step will be to custom build an aluminum lower that will accept 10 and 20 rd magazines.

i also plan to thread the muzzle for 14-1 LH so i can stick an AMD compensator on it. it just seems like it would fit.

so here are the pics of the work completed so far.

i call it the unholy matrimony!

until i get a new camera, this is the best i can do. 
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View soakandquench's Profile Search for other posts by soakandquench

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: March 27 2011 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

Soak,

I like it!

I have been thinking about a "scout" rifle, ala Ruger. I saw an article on it... and thought about a simple bolt action rifle... with a box magazine...

So you are furthering my interest in building up a bolt action!!!!

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View midmichigun's Profile Search for other posts by midmichigun

soakandquench

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 27 2011 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote soakandquench

well the scope base is a bit to high for my comfort, but a universal cheek rest should solve the problem. after looking at dimensions of the existing integral magwell, i might just weld up some new sides with some 16 gauge and then cut the old sides out. the mag release will be a push button type. then i can get the final dimensions i need to eventually carve up an aluminum replacement at some point. in the mean time i want to strengthen the point behind the front action screw. i was thinking of taking a small block of aluminum, and tapping it for a couple of stubs, then when i bed the stock i will epoxy everything in so the action is nice and tight. you cant see from these pictures, but there is a bit of room all around everything. its pretty close but needs to be bedded.

once i get a better camera, then i can show off the details of what was done.

soakandquench

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 27 2011 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote soakandquench

i was toying around with the idea of making a proprietary magazine for this, and i know i can do it, but i thought i might be able to take a shortcut with using another magazine.

i once considered using some SAFN mags, but those are about the same as the M-14/ M1-A so it would take too much to modify the frame of the rifle.

one idea was to use an old Enfield 2A- magazine. just judging from the pictures, it looks as though it is about right, does anyone have one laying around they could measure for reference?

if it is narrow enough i might consider purchasing a few, but if the dimensions are too wide for the existing magwell (bottom metal) then its better to just fab a whole new magazine from scratch, probably single stack, or faux double stack (slightly staggered) a while ago i made a cardboard mockup of the style mag i wanted to build and it is possible to get staggered rounds within the required dimensions without forcing them.

i have looked for several ready made single stack magazines, but the one design limitation that irritates me is they always take up more space width wise than is necessary. bad space budgeting.

the few magazines that had some promise (the mannlicher and other narrow single stack mags) and could be easily modified are not easy for me to get since the MAG size restrictions in my state limit me to 20 rds.

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version