Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 27 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 28

We have 1 member(s), 9 spiders, 27 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
JamesChota

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (54):

Silencer - good starter project for lathe
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  GunMaking

E-2
E-2

Posted: June 02 2011 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote GunMaking

I can recommend making a silencer as one of your first projects if you buy a lathe. Aluminium is a very easily turnable material and the design will automatically make you practice the 7 basic moves; Turning, Facing, Parting, Drilling, Boring, Knurling and Threading

Using one of those very affordable china lathes:

Agree x 6Funny x 1Informative x 1Late x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View GunMaking's Profile Search for other posts by GunMaking

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: June 02 2011 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I'm assuming this is a 100% legal suppressor
Agree x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

GunMaking

E-2
E-2

Posted: June 04 2011 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote GunMaking

Yes, it's legal  with all the stamps and signatures and especially the exorbitant government fee for registration. 
Disagree x 1
View GunMaking's Profile Search for other posts by GunMaking

orions_hammer

SM
SM

Posted: June 04 2011 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote orions_hammer

I've heard many places in Europe have zero regulations on suppressors: they sell them in the sporting goods section of supermarkets and such.

In the US, a "silencer" just takes a Form 1 and $200 for the NFA tax stamp before you legally make it, or else you'll get at least 27 months in the federal pen plus a felony (so you can never touch guns again). The federal mandatory minimum sentence for using a suppressor in a violent or drug crime is 30 years!

Mongo

MSG
MSG

Posted: June 05 2011 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote Mongo

I wrote some post to help non engineers on design on form 1 suppressors. There is spelling and grammar errors in them but I'm an engineer not a English professor.

Don't want to bother posting them over but if Weaponeer wants them, you are free to copy them over to here if you want.

http://nfatalk.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1856
View Mongo's Profile Search for other posts by Mongo Visit Mongo's Homepage

reckoning

1LT
1LT

Posted: June 05 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote reckoning

looks good

View reckoning's Profile Search for other posts by reckoning

soakandquench

SFC
SFC

Posted: June 05 2011 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote soakandquench

a lot of people are under the misconception that everything is illegal, (ak-47's, silencers, short barrel rifles, concealed weapons, etc, etc, etc i hear it all from the uninformed) but really they are not, they are merely cost prohibitive. everything is legal if you have enough money. kind of puts the correct perspective on why they make some laws in the first place.
View soakandquench's Profile Search for other posts by soakandquench

ariel23

E-2
E-2

Posted: December 05 2012 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote ariel23

I AGREE WITH SOAKANDQUENCH. TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE AFRAID TO "Move" AS IT WERE. IT'S THE MONEY. WE HAVE FIREARMS FREEDOM SO WE DONT HAVE TO FEAR GOVERNMENT,HOME INVASION OR CRACK HEADS.
View ariel23's Profile Search for other posts by ariel23

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 05 2012 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Yes, most people don't know that you can legally build a suppressor if you can legally own one, and it's legal in your state.

The catch being you need to file the NFA paperwork first (just like buying a suppressor... the red tape must be done first, and you cannot own it until you have an approved tax stamp in hand.)

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

Sagittarii

2LT
2LT

Posted: December 07 2012 at 9:58am | IP Logged Quote Sagittarii

I have seen this design as a project before there are several problems with it and others like it.

The long drilled section does not allow gas to pass through the holes fast enough the effect is it prevents gas flow and reduces the volume of the first section by 50% +

The Cones with holes drilled in the base  are wishful thinking gas will never pass through them quickly enough. Also there are no holes in the sides of cones to vent gas this reduces the effective volume of each section by 50% 

You will see most designs show the cones large end pointing forward WRONG this is usually in designs that are firing full charge loads and simply want to reduce muzzle blast. Doing this turns them into megaphones like making a paper cone to increase the volume of your voice.

Threading end caps internally may make for a nice finish REALITY Aluminum is hard to cut perfectly smooth threads in depending on the grade. Powder builds up making it a complete swine to remove the baffles. End result a lot of work for little result

The right way.

1) First section volume chamber only no baffle just a spacer. 

2) Cones or other reducing baffles small end forward this causes the gas to hit the large section then swirl as it trys to reduce in volume to pass through the small hole.

3) Either thread the tube outside or use blank plugs with 3 screws at 60 Deg

I have seen one useful design by Walther for SMG that is simply Sheet metal with fingernail like tabs pressed in it then bent triangular to fit in the tube . LESS IS MORE IN THE WORLD OF QUIET

4A97D_Reflex_Suppressors.pdf

B8ZZC_7.62x39_Thumper.pdf

D5C46_Subsonic_Cartridges.pdf

Then there is ther simple welsh plug model

Z77ZA_Designs.zip

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.
View Sagittarii's Profile Search for other posts by Sagittarii

sunny

E-3
E-3

Posted: January 25 2013 at 2:24am | IP Logged Quote sunny

Sagittarii how can you say he is wrong in his design for one you don't even know what caliber round he is useing, Manufactures use K baffles all the time in 22cal silencers today . There called K baffles for a reason, they look like a K and this is the way they face , pluse for every size caliber 22 9 45 308 so on there would be a different inner set up K M / V with the baffles. Your design looks more for a large caliber. he just showing that a silencer would be a cool first project. Somebody please chime in and and educate him on silencers.
View sunny's Profile Search for other posts by sunny

Ranb

Private
Private

Posted: October 10 2013 at 12:12am | IP Logged Quote Ranb

I bought a lathe ten years ago and learned how to use it while making my first silencer.  So far I have made 17; my next project is for my 50 bmg.  The tax stamp applications are taking over 6 months now though.

Ranb
View Ranb's Profile Search for other posts by Ranb

Popawdon

E-3
E-3

Posted: January 13 2017 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote Popawdon

If the large end of a baffle is "forward" their is no reflex into the preceding chamber. In add ition, the "bow wave" of the round will usually cause interference and accuracy is inconsistent. Using a reflex design ALWAYS improves accuracy. The round is gone before fringe and vector energy returns to the annulus (where the bullet goes.) So the large end allows energy to disperse some, energy is reflected into the oncoming energy and the round is quieter. Parasitic reflex is the most dependable and easiest to make type of sound attenuator.
View Popawdon's Profile Search for other posts by Popawdon

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: January 14 2017 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

For an inexpensive suppressor, a lot of folks are using engine freeze plugs.  $200 for the stamp, less than $100 in parts.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Ranb

Private
Private

Posted: January 14 2017 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Ranb

Finally finsinshed the 50 BMG project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmwS1qrzy_0&t=10s

I think 60 degree cones are the way to go for high pressure applications like 223 and higher.  K baffles are best for the lower pressure stuff like 22lr, pistols cartridges and 300 blackout.

In my opinion flat baffles (freeze plugs) or cones with the wide part facing upstream are a waste of time.  Wipes are only good for targets inside the barn; you'll never hit the broad side of the barn otherwise.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: January 15 2017 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

I was under the impression that flat baffles were decent for subsonics?
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Ranb

Private
Private

Posted: January 15 2017 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote Ranb

Most primitive projects that use flat baffles also have a very large volume.  Combined with the typically smaller powder charges of subsonic ammo they are usually quite effective as a silencer.  But if you want a compact silencer that reduces noise by 30 decibels or more then you need something else.

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version