Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
3 members and 34 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 37

We have 3 member(s), 8 spiders, 34 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
backbencher, lefty08, OldCoot

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (46):

Build question "bolt action pistol"
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  WillyK

Private
Private

Posted: June 09 2011 at 1:08am | IP Logged Quote WillyK

Hi,
I'm new to the forum but have been reading some posts and figured this would be the place to ask.
I have recently acquired a Chzec Mauser k98 Barreled action. The barrel is wasted but I have a new 30-06 barrel for it.
My question is this.
I want to build something like an xp-100 using the action and new barrel, cut the barrel to 14 inches and make my own handgun style stock like a xp.
is this legal? I can't see why not as long as it has no stock.
Please enlighten me and has has anyone done something like this? I've always had a thing for the xp or the Contender and to say I built it my self would be pretty cool.
thanks in advance
Will
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View WillyK's Profile Search for other posts by WillyK

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: June 09 2011 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

the one problem I see is the once a rifle aways a rifle clause. it may sound stupid, but rifles cannot be converted to short barreled rifles, only pistols can, and virgin receivers never registered as a rifle.

It's one of the BS things the ATF came up with to prevent short barreled rifles.

The path to an SBR is through a Pistol, meaning you can add a stock to a pistol and end up with an SBR. an example is that I bought a V51 Pistol which is basically a 308 MP5 without a stock, and to SBR it I just need the tax stamp etc, and then I can place a stock on the pistol converting it into an SBR.

To build a XP100 pistol you would have to purchase an action registered as a pistol.

There are a lot of new made bolt action receivers that have been registered for Pistol Builds, but the cheap method of just using a junker to convert to a pistol is not going to work...

BUT....  the simple work around is to just keep it as a legal rifle build with the 16.5 inch barrel.  the XP100 is actually a Bullpup design, so the grip is forward of the action, which hides a lot of the overall length, so as long as you meet the 16.5 inch barrel, and the overall length, just put a pistol stock on a rifle for the build and it's legal without the NFA issues of making the barrel less than 16 inches.

Agree x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

orions_hammer

SM
SM

Posted: June 10 2011 at 2:53am | IP Logged Quote orions_hammer

I agree with the boss--that project is almost the *definition* of a "short barreled rifle". Granted it's silly, but it's the law!

I doubt you'd notice the 2.1" inches of extra barrel to get over the 16" minimum rifle barrel length. Starting with a Mauser you'd be very close on the 26" overall length limit too: starting with 16" of barrel and adding about 8.5" for the receiver, you'd only need a few more inches of stock to be legal. Supposedly the feds and some states measure "overall length" with a folding stock *unfolded*, but I don't think I'd be comfortable relying on that definition, especially if the gun can fire with the stock folded.

You could use those extra few inches to put a small "optional" buttstock on the back end, making a bolt-action bullpup. A shoulder stock might make the recoil of 30-06 easier on your hands too!

I've got some bare 1888 bolt actions lying around; I might try this myself on one of them! It'd be important to rig up the forward trigger well, so you get a nice trigger pull.

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: June 10 2011 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

orions_hammer wrote:
I agree with the boss--that project is almost the *definition* of a "short barreled rifle". Granted it's silly, but it's the law!

I doubt you'd notice the 2.1" inches of extra barrel to get over the 16" minimum rifle barrel length. Starting with a Mauser you'd be very close on the 26" overall length limit too: starting with 16" of barrel and adding about 8.5" for the receiver, you'd only need a few more inches of stock to be legal. Supposedly the feds and some states measure "overall length" with a folding stock *unfolded*, but I don't think I'd be comfortable relying on that definition, especially if the gun can fire with the stock folded.

You could use those extra few inches to put a small "optional" buttstock on the back end, making a bolt-action bullpup. A shoulder stock might make the recoil of 30-06 easier on your hands too!

I've got some bare 1888 bolt actions lying around; I might try this myself on one of them! It'd be important to rig up the forward trigger well, so you get a nice trigger pull.

Now the idea of making a Bullpup Boltaction is interesting

That Dude

E-3
E-3

Posted: July 17 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote That Dude

"but rifles cannot be converted to short barreled rifles, only pistols can,"

I beleave thay can with the SBR paperwork and  tax stamp.

Perhaps you were thinking that a rifles cannot be converted to pistols.

View That Dude's Profile Search for other posts by That Dude

FALPhil

Private
Private

Posted: July 17 2011 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote FALPhil

The military Mauser action is not the best action for a bolt action handgun anyway.  It is heavy, flat bottomed, and, unless you are a decent machinist, limited to one rim size.  If I were you, I would get a Savage target action (single shot) and build off of that.  The great thing about Savages is that they have a floating bolt head and are set up for switching barrels.  With one of their actions, you can have just about any centerfire cartridge chambering you want, and they are very accurate actions.
Agree x 1
View FALPhil's Profile Search for other posts by FALPhil

Southerncomfort

Private
Private

Posted: December 10 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged Quote Southerncomfort

Ah cant you just mill off the numbers. File for a form 1 and now claim you made it and call it a pistol ?
But I am kinda new to all this..
View Southerncomfort's Profile Search for other posts by Southerncomfort

Sora-tobu chiru

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: December 11 2013 at 4:33am | IP Logged Quote Sora-tobu chiru

Removing serial number isn't best idea...
View Sora-tobu chiru's Profile Search for other posts by Sora-tobu chiru

backbencher

1LT
1LT

Posted: December 11 2013 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Southerncomfort wrote:
Ah cant you just mill off the numbers. File for a form 1 and now claim you made it and call it a pistol ?
But I am kinda new to all this..

Only if you want to spend time in the enforced Federal Golf Improvement Program. 1934 GCA is settled law upheld by the Supreme Court, and has been on the books all our lives, so there is no excuse for trying to dodge this. Milling off serial numbers is a felony, and will prohibit one from ever owning a firearm again. Making a short barreled rifle, as the OP proposes, without paying $200 for a SBR stamp, is a felony & will prohibit one from ever owning a firearm again.

OP, your choices are:

1 - Chop bbl to no shorter than 16", build a "pistol" no shorter than 26" overall length. You then have a .30"-06 hand cannon (legally a rifle) that cooks game as you shoot it.
2 - Pay $200 & wait X months for your SBR tax stamp, chop bbl to any length, build a "pistol" any length. You then have a .30"-06 hand cannon (legally a SBR) that cooks game as you shoot it & breaks your wrist or deafens you.
3 - Select a more suitable caliber for a handheld pistol, go no shorter than 16" bbl & no less than 26" OAL, now you have a legal rifle w/ only a pistol grip, & the recoil is manageable & there's no giant fireball.
4 - Buy a Savage Striker & the work is already done for you, it has a great trigger already, you can change calibers & bbl lengths w/o cutting the extractor recess, and it has a faster lock time than is achievable in a 98 action, thus promoting accuracy.
5 - Buy 2 Mosin Nagant 91/30's, torch cut both actions into approximately 3rds, reweld into @ least a single good receiver, build legal Obrez pistol in 7.62x54R.
6 - Buy a 2nd Mauser action, torch cut TWO MAUSER ACTIONS (I'm flinching as I type this) into thirds, reweld into a single pistol receiver, build German/American Obrez pistol in .30"-06.

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version