Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 24 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 25

We have 1 member(s), 5 spiders, 24 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
Jeffreydug

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (72):

The Condition of Gun Forums - and a fix!
Weaponeer Forums : Open Forum

Posted in Open Forum
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 11 2011 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

The activity level of forums on the internet has dropped due to Social sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.  With so many websites, also having YouTubes, Facebooks, and Twitters, members who are pressed for time working more and having less to show for it, have been just using social media, and the forum activity shows that change.

Forums with no useful information on them, end up just dying off, other forums with a social aspect only retain the members who need attention, and are typically called trolls and don't fit in on social networking sites.

Weaponeer.net is an information repository with a forum made up of highly skiilled builders, but currently with the Obama Economy few people have the funds to start projects (or finish them), so the keep up by reading the posts when they are not working. when the economy turns around, and people have the funds to spare, the posting will increase, but don't expect a return the the high activity levels we had just a few years ago due to the social networks.  only the real builders, and those interested in building will return, which is actually better because the trolls stick to the social networks now.

So, until the economy picks up, don't expect a large number of postings, but there is a large number of readers to the forums which is why we still are ranked 21st, and geting higher rankings and not lower rankings.  things will get better, and the more new people we have posting photos and ideas (as well as questions) the more people will take an interest.

Weaponeer.net also has a large YouTube Following, Facebook follwing , and even twitter, and they are all extensions of weaponeer, and not replacements. They perform the task of finding new interested members, so weaponeer is always growing no matter what the economy is like.

This last weekend we had a team at the DPMS Outbreak Omega zombie shoot (including myself) and I was extremely surprised by all the people coming up to me and asking if I was weaponeer because they subscribe to the weaponeer YouTube Channel.

So, I'm considering doing a weekly YouTube show based on what is going on here on weaponeer.net and showing photos of members projects and activities to spur interest in what is going on here, and giving credit to those who post such great project photos.

If we have the activity to talk about projects, you  can expect that show being very popular, and you can expect a lot more posts and members to help us grow again, which includes duracoat projects ect...

If we don't have the activity to start off, to fill a weekly video, then it will be a monthly video, but frankly, I really think that we can get a large number of posts on projects of all kinds, which would make a weekly  video not only possible, but a big draw, and getting the builders the recognition for their skills they deserve.

Feel free to post your Thoughts, Ideas, and comments below about this idea to grow more forum posts.

Agree x 2
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: July 11 2011 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

Boss,

Sounds like an outstanding fun time ahead! WOW! Well, as traditional news sources die off (paper based News Papers).... we also have to look forward, as things change.... even web based entities...

Thanks for the Sitrep of where we are at on rankings... and facebook... good to know where we are at!

I look forward to the changes to come... in the meantime.... back to my languished builds!

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View midmichigun's Profile Search for other posts by midmichigun

Spare Parts

E-2
E-2

Posted: July 11 2011 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote Spare Parts

Times New Roman5

If it provides a wider pool of knowledge, we all win. Plus, a possibe new source of donations to keep this forum going.

Spare Parts
View Spare Parts's Profile Search for other posts by Spare Parts Visit Spare Parts's Homepage

Holescreek

SFC
SFC

Posted: July 11 2011 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Holescreek

I don't see any drop on the gun building forums.  If anything they are busier than ever before.  Unfortunately (or fortunately)  there are one or two that seem to exist just to host jokes and politics but at least it keeps the rabble out of the builders forums.

On Weaponsguild for example, there are 59 concurrent  builds going on just in one contest, with most threads updated daily. I finished 2 FAL's this week and jumped back on the PSG1 clone yesterday.   I sure don't see a drop in the building activity.

Disagree x 1
View Holescreek's Profile Search for other posts by Holescreek

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 11 2011 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

actually the drop was first reported by AR15.com, and several other forums have folded recently (one of them died twice).

as for building activity we have  a dozen members pulling one or more jobs just to break even, with most people not having time for builds.

The rise of social media is also very well reported, and is effecting ALL FORUMS not just gun forums.  this is why you see nearly every business having a facebook page.  people are going to facebook to play games, and to keep up with companies they like, without having to hit forums everyday, which is the point. They can get away from the daily BS by playing some games, and catchup on everything else they enjoy with automatic updates on their YouTube homepage.  One of the biggest draws right now on Facebook alone is giveaways.  I spend very little time on Facebook, and even I have won three giveaways. 1. Black and decker 2. LUM-TEC and 3. body armor.

For the ones spending a lot of time on Facebook, there is a ton of stuff to win, and the same can be said for YouTube with weekly giveaways just within the tactical community.

all the more reason why people are moving towards social media.

Weaponeer still pulls in a half million hits a day, and still ranks 21st in the R. Lee Ermy Gunny Approved List.

But the weaponeer channel also received the following Tactical Viewer Choice Award Nominations for 2011 on YouTube:
1. Best Production Quality
2. Best Gear Reviews
3. Best channel (Men) over 5500 subscribers

which is why weaponeer is covering more than one media. Times are changing..  just do a search on Facebook for every gun accessory manufacturer and see what you come up with.  they all cannot be wrong.

Agree x 2

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

Holescreek

SFC
SFC

Posted: July 11 2011 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Holescreek

I'm in the minority I'm sure, but I have not and never plan on using Facebook.  I've spent a good part of my life trying to maintain a semblance of anonymity and self respect and facebook is the opposite of all that is good.  Buisnesses join Facebook so they can trawl the waters for money.  Fish so thick that they don't even have to bait the hook, just drag them behind the boat. 

I use Youtube like I use Wikipedia.  I only go there when I need to know something. 

Work conditions are bad all over.  My son has been out of work for a couple of months and I have friends that haven't worked in over two years.  The ones that have been out of work the longest wouldn't take jobs that paid less than they thought they were worth based on what they were paid when they were laid off. Now they are living with their parents and spend all day on Facebook.

Agree x 1Disagree x 1
View Holescreek's Profile Search for other posts by Holescreek

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 11 2011 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

The younger generations are the onces that like facebook the most, as well as Twitter (never did see the need of twitter), but its not just the younger generations.  we had a Moderator who worked long hours at work, in his mid 40's and had several logins for Facebook to play games with.

Most of the people I know were using Facebook to keep in contact with family and friends, but social media has expanded  to the point of using smart phones to access facebook and other social media.  so many people feel they cannot trust the MSM so they get their news from social media now (for better or worse).

Companies know that since people are using social media, they now need to have a website, a YouTube, a Facebook, and a twitter to be competitive in todays market.  facebook is used more as a means to ask questions about a product before purchasing, YouTube is used to see a product's scale, as well as to get specs and even see it in action (this of the videos as commercials).

Twitter?  well, thats just used to keep the followers of twitter informed of videos, questions, answers and more.

Weaponeer is on the forefront of social media, just like were we there to use the Internet. The Website is the main operation, while YouTube, Facebook, and even twitter are used to keep those who follow those types of media informed of what is going on in the industry, and to get a good look at products through reviews, as well as to show how to do simple operations such as how to polish AR feed ramp, and other feed ramps, how to build an AR, instruct 922r etc. and as a result, people see the videos, and check out the website.

Social media is not a replacement, it's a supplement accessible on PC's, Laptops, and smart phones. it's the information age, and we need to adapt our social media, not our website.

Agree x 2

zoom6zoom

SM
SM

Posted: July 16 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote zoom6zoom

Quote:
actually the drop was first reported by AR15.com,

Perhaps, but they have become an all purpose forum that happens to have a few subforums related to guns.  There are so may sections on so many unrelated topics that many members don't even know that some of them exist. It's what happens when you try to be all things to all people.

This board does one or two things, and does them right. It's why it stays relevant. Thanks for the hard work, Gary.
Agree x 3Disagree x 2
View zoom6zoom's Profile Search for other posts by zoom6zoom

NRADon

CPT
CPT

Posted: March 31 2015 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote NRADon

Aside from people working longer hours for less, one also has to factor in the cost of ammo in this lousy economy and the panic buying caused by Obama's efforts to control guns. Even the reloaders which include the vast majority of us are hard pressed to find the powders we want. I've been searching for a 5lb jug of Trail Boss now for over three years with no luck. Needless to say, I haven't gone shooting in almost a year. Interest in shooting forums is going to drop when people either don't have the time to go shooting because they're working a second job or can't find/afford the ammo to go shooting.
View NRADon's Profile Search for other posts by NRADon

tr6guns

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: March 31 2015 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote tr6guns

Aside from the price and where its available here is some.
http://www.gunsupplies.co.nz/reloading-components/trail-boss -pistol-powder-1-5kg

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 31 2015 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

NRADon

CPT
CPT

Posted: April 06 2015 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote NRADon

Thanks Guys! Much appreciated! I see it's now made by somebody called ADI. Who is ADI? I see they're also selling it in 1.5kg jugs for $131.30. Since 1.5kg is only roughly 3.3 pounds, $40/pound is still pretty steep for a pound od powder, but at least now I have a source.

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: April 06 2015 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

It's not just the gun forums either, the motorcycle building forums I have been involved with for a number of years are all suffering the same with a vast number of people migrating onto Faceache, personally I don't do Facebook I don't see the point in people posting the minutia of what they had for breakfast, and their privacy policy is not something I will agree to especially for mobile devices like phones where you are giving them permission to access your contacts at will and turn on your camera and microphone remotely whenever they feel like it.

Thankfully those who have remained on the forums tend to be the guys who are serious about building things and exchanging information and ideas rather than the idiot brigade posting drivel about their latest visit to McDonalds or similar.
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

tr6guns

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: April 06 2015 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote tr6guns

Have you tried any of this..
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/276326/american-pioneer-ffg -black-powder-substitute-1-lb

Or Hodgdon Triple 777fffg gives similar results..

tr6guns

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: April 06 2015 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote tr6guns

Here is some data on the 777 fffg...
http://www.curtrich.com/Ransom_Rest_testing.htm

tr6guns

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: April 06 2015 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote tr6guns

And Hodgdon Data...

94834_muzzleloading_manual_2008.pdf

NRADon

CPT
CPT

Posted: April 07 2015 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote NRADon

Thanks tr6guns.

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: April 08 2015 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote ryche

tr6 thanks for the data.  I need to see if it updates  the info i have.
Ryche

tr6guns

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: April 08 2015 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote tr6guns

No problem, that's what we are here for.

vegas

Private
Private

Posted: April 14 2015 at 3:40am | IP Logged Quote vegas

the NSA reading everything doesnt make nervous types want to post

View vegas's Profile Search for other posts by vegas

<< Prev Topic Open Forum Next Topic >>

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version