Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 30 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 30

We have 0 member(s), 8 spiders, 30 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (59):

FN Browning .22lr semi-auto rifle
Weaponeer Forums : Open Forum

Posted in Open Forum
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  wilhelm

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: July 28 2011 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote wilhelm

Hello all

A friend has been going through his deceased fathers stuff, and has found his Browning semi-auto .22lr. This particular weapon was made by FN in Belgium, and I've dated it to 1957, going by its serial number.

The rifle was left in his shed, and so is in poor condition in some places. I've got the barrel off, and after much oil, have removed the trigger guard and associated working parts. From what I can see, this is a beautifully designed little rifle.

I hope you will indulge me a couple of questions. I see the take down barrel mates with the receiver via threads. If I put the barrel hard up against the receiver, it does not quarter turn fully to lock it. The next thread up leaves the barrel too loose and floppy. Is that knurled barrel adjusting ring on the barrel forward of these threads the solution here?

And the most pressing bit. The magazine tube should come out of the stock at the rear. It doesn't. I suspect it is siezed by a little rusting. I've saturated all orifices pertaining(!) to this, and want to know when I attempt properly to unsieze it, which way to turn the magazine that quarter turn before withdrawing it. Left or right? When locked, is that magazine finger grip horizontal or vertical. The manual doesn't really explain this.

Any feedback whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View wilhelm's Profile Search for other posts by wilhelm

wilhelm

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: July 28 2011 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote wilhelm

OK, still seized, so I don't want to force it with a pliers. I'll apply more oil and try in 24 hours perhaps. I'll post some pics up if anyone is interested. 

Anybody know anything about the mag question above?

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

tr6guns

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: July 28 2011 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote tr6guns

When unlocking turn Left, and that is why it is called a barrel adjusting nut, to adjust head space. You will have to rely on others for where the position of the mag finger grip is when loaded or locked..

If this is the model you are talking about, Here is a Manual that explains everything in case you have a different one..

22semiautomanual.pdf

wilhelm

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: July 29 2011 at 2:51am | IP Logged Quote wilhelm

Thanks tr6guns.

That is indeed the model. I'll attempt to fiddle with the barrel adjusting nut shortly.

I'll also try and get that magazine unseized at the same time. I hope the oil will make things easier. I'm going to assume that it's a quarter turn to the left, if the barrel is pointing away from me.

tr6guns

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: July 29 2011 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote tr6guns

After looking at the manual that i sent you, go to page 8 as it says that you could turn the lock 1/4 turn in either direction to lock or unlock. And from the Photo it looks like the lock is straight up and down so unlocking should be 1/4 turn in either direction..

Sagittarii

CSM
CSM

Posted: July 29 2011 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Sagittarii

Browning .22 semi possibly what you have been looking for

Browning_22_Semiauto_Manual.pdf
View Sagittarii's Profile Search for other posts by Sagittarii

wilhelm

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: July 29 2011 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote wilhelm

Thanks for the assistance guys.

I have successfully freed the magazine tube. I have also got the trigger to work properly, as it was stuck fast. All in all, I have managed to get everything working on what was a seized gun. I've also managed to unseize the barrel adjustment ring. Baby steps for sure, but I suppose we all have to start somewhere.

The next step is to comprehensively strip the rifle down to the smallest components, then clean each one comprehensively.

The final step will be rust removal, of which sadly there is a lot of. Nothing that can't be solved however. Certainly, the rifle will need to be reblued once all is said and done.

I also need to fiddle with the barrel adjustment ring, as the barrel currently is either too loose, or doesn't quite close due to tightness. That I'll do last, as that will be very important due to headspace issues?

I'll try post some pics as the rifle currently is.

berg

Private
Private

Posted: April 02 2012 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote berg

Hey I have the same rifle from my grandpa, pre-55, but I cannot for the life of me get the barrel off.  It seems like the slider just won't slide - up or down.  There is a little bit of wiggle in it, but that's it.  There is no visible rust on it at all, it just won't go, even with a nail punch (which was a last resort!). 

I definitely don't want to do any damage to it.   Does anyone know if there is a spring/post under the barrel lock, and how to get it moving again?

Many thanks!
View berg's Profile Search for other posts by berg

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: April 18 2012 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: April 18 2012 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote ryche

Yes there are two springs and detents under the little sliding lock switch.
Be careful if you remove the switch as they will launch!!!!
You can use a AR-15 detent to remake one of them.
been there done this.
Good luck with it
Ryche
Disagree x 1
View ryche's Profile Search for other posts by ryche

Sagittarii

CSM
CSM

Posted: May 31 2012 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote Sagittarii

A really effective & gentle rust remover that wont eat the base metal I have used is.

One part MOLASSES dissolved in hot water to TWO or THREE parts WATER. Leave in it for a few days to a week stirring daily.
Depending on amount of corrosion, sounds idiotic one of the best rust removers I have come across.
View Sagittarii's Profile Search for other posts by Sagittarii

<< Prev Topic Open Forum Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version