Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 25 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 27

We have 2 member(s), 14 spiders, 25 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
mrjester, backbencher

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (58):

Rebarreling an Enfield?
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  WT28314

Private
Private

Posted: November 14 2011 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote WT28314

I have an Enfield (not sure what model) that I have no use for in .303. The gun has been sporterized and does not have the original magazine, so, from what I understand, it has no collecter's value. I want to rebarrel to .410 just for the sake of having a .410 (much better squirrel gun than .303 ). I suppose the first thing I need is a barrel that is chambered for US .410 shells that has enough material to thread for the enfield receiver. Does anyone have any information on a barrel that meets these requirements or any information on rebarreling an Enfield for .410?

PS. This is my first post, couldn't find a dedicated enfield section, so I figured this would be the next best place. If I have posted in an inappropriate area, please feel free to correct me.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View WT28314's Profile Search for other posts by WT28314

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: November 14 2011 at 3:01pm | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

WT,

Try this out:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=9318

I looked under barrels/ shotguns at Numrich. I am not sure about screw in barrels... however, I bet that you can pin a .410 in place if you needed to. Otherwise you may need a screw in adapter to go from the original Enfield thread down to a new thread. I don't think that many .410 barrels have a shank thick enough for threading... however, a New Englander/ H&R shank seems to be plent thick.

I did buy some bulk shotgun barrels from them several years ago... for a build. I think I got only 12gauge however.... so I can't give ya a barrel to play with.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View midmichigun's Profile Search for other posts by midmichigun

WT28314

Private
Private

Posted: November 15 2011 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote WT28314

Thanks for the quick response midmichigun. Saw some inexpensive barrels on the site you recommended, may have to get one soon.
View WT28314's Profile Search for other posts by WT28314

hawcer

CSM
CSM

Posted: November 15 2011 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote hawcer

If you can't find a .410 barrel that has enough meat to use in your application. It is possible to use a 45 caliber rifled barrel....heck, I know of guys shooting .410 shells in their 444 marlin leverguns.

I have seen a few converted Enfield .410's floating around, so it is possible.
Agree x 1
View hawcer's Profile Search for other posts by hawcer

midmichigun

CPT
CPT

Posted: November 15 2011 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote midmichigun

Here is some additional information on the Enfields chambered in .410:Muskets and Shotguns

Conversions of rifles to smoothbored guns was carried out in several locations, for varying reasons.

SAF Lithgow, in Australia, produced shotguns based on the MkIII action, chambering the common commercial .410 shotgun shell. Commercial gunsmiths in Australia and Britain converted both MkIII and No4 rifles to .410 shotguns. These conversions were prompted by firearms legislation which made possession of a rifle chambered in a military cartridge both difficult and expensive. Smoothbored shotguns could be legally held with far less trouble.

RFI, in India, converted a large number of MkIII rifles to single shot muskets, chambered in the .410 Indian Musket cartridge. These conversions were for issue to police and prison guards, to provide a firearm with a much-reduced power and range in comparison to the .303 cartridge. That it would be difficult to obtain suitable ammunition in the event of theft or the carrier's desertion was likely a consideration as well.

"While British and Australian conversions were to the standard commercially available .410 shotgun cartridge (though of varying chamber lengths) the Indian conversions have been the source of considerable confusion. The Indian conversions were originally chambered for the .410 Indian Musket cartridge, which is based on the .303 British cartridge, and will not chamber the common .410 shotgun cartridge. Many of these muskets were rechambered, after being sold as surplus, and can now be used with commercially available ammunition. Unmodified muskets require handloading of ammunition, as the .410 Indian Musket cartridge was not commercially distributed and does not appear to have been manufactured since the 1950s."- Wikipedia.

I stole the above information from here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfield_rifle

View midmichigun's Profile Search for other posts by midmichigun

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version