Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 31 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

ZB 37 Group Buy! US Made Barrels!!!!
Weaponeer Forums : ZB37

Posted in ZB37
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  PKw VI Tiger1

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: April 11 2013 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote PKw VI Tiger1

You should wait for mine if you haven't started yet. The conversion I'm working on looks and works better than WLA's apparently did so far.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View PKw VI Tiger1's Profile Search for other posts by PKw VI Tiger1

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: April 11 2013 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote machinist89

Tiger1

Where are you getting modification information? I have not found much of anything on the web. I'd like to get rolling on this but it's hard to dive in without even rough plans. I look forward to your feedback and future Picts. Thanks m89
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View machinist89's Profile Search for other posts by machinist89

PKw VI Tiger1

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: April 12 2013 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote PKw VI Tiger1

I'm making it up as I go there are no real plans, that's why it has taken so long. My last step is the hammer/striker and I have to carve it out of some steel with a dremel and some files because I don't have anything other then a mini lathe and basic tools. I've had this kit for over a year and had been thinking about it for a while but there was no point in doing anything until someone made barrels.

I am having a difficult time waiting for my barrel. I don't like someone sitting on my money for that long especially after repeated delays. I know all we can do is wait though because Mech is doing all he can. I find it hard to believe anyone would purposefully live "off the grid" and still want to do things such as this. It is frustrating.

Sorry for the rant. I had to get it out there though because I'm tired of the delays and am also wishing that the panic buying of anything black gun and ammo related would stop.

Mech warrior

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 12 2013 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote Mech warrior

I hear ya man. I also am frustrated. I am a very impatient person. I have stated before that i HAVE to build my own stuff because i can not ship it all off to someone, plus 1/2 down, and wait 16 months! I would bug them till they were sic of me!

I haven't found much of anything either, but, as i stated at the beginning of this thread, if we follow the guidelines that are already in place, then we are good to go!

I hope barrels get done soon man. I really do!

On a side note; lets see what everyone comes up with for this question.

If you could only use 2 words to describe a zb37 to someone what would they be?

My answer, Monstrous Big!

Measure, think about it, measure again, think about it some more, measure again, then cut......."Oh S***!!!!"

"Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened." Billy Gram

"If my calculations are correct......when this baby hits 88mph, your gonna see some serious sh*t!"
View Mech warrior's Profile Search for other posts by Mech warrior

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: April 13 2013 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote machinist89

Thanks Tiger1. I commend you for jumping into this project without much of a compass. I do have to say there are great similarities between the BREN and ZB37. I think a lot of the semi mods on the bren can be applied to this project. Now if I ever can get my bren finish. I'm stuck on the welding. The machining was simple. The ZB welding should be straight forward in comparison. Let me know if you need any machining help as I have a shop. M89

Mech warrior

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 13 2013 at 2:14am | IP Logged Quote Mech warrior

I also noticed a lot of similarities. Especially the bolt and locking mechanism.

machinist89, you doin a mgs kit? if so, WOW! It was a ton of fun! (that was sarcasm)

I did use the parts from Project guns as far as the piston and the striker. The piston was undersized. They said it was original O.D. Apparently mine had a few thousandths bigger piston, indicating it had been worked over by an armoror.

Measure, think about it, measure again, think about it some more, measure again, then cut......."Oh S***!!!!"

"Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened." Billy Gram

"If my calculations are correct......when this baby hits 88mph, your gonna see some serious sh*t!"

Mech warrior

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 13 2013 at 2:15am | IP Logged Quote Mech warrior

Tiger, in your set up, is the barrel assy gonna recoil or stay stationary?

PKw VI Tiger1

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: April 13 2013 at 4:16am | IP Logged Quote PKw VI Tiger1

It should recoil. I intend on keeping that feature in my design because it eases cartridge extraction and the buffer also serves as the rear sight detent spring. My two main peeves about WLA's conversion, from looking at mostly blurry pictures, was the Bren carrying handle charging handle and the relocation of the rear sight.

Thanks Mach. I might take you up on that. I have a nice chunk of H13 that could be made into a few strikers, one for you of course if I take your offer up. I wouldn't be able to pay you much though because of my financial situation at the moment.

The welding was easy to do, I used a mig welder to do it because I am really good at it but I'm sure other ways would work just as good or better. I found that when you weld it's best to tack weld the parts with the gun loosely assembled barrel pointing down otherwise the alignment will be off. The FA blockers should be welded before that though.

From examination of my Bren kit and when you take away that I'm building a one off semi 37, the Bren build is a bit more complicated simply due to the reduced space inside it and the more complex welding required on my MGS kit. I could build the Bren but I don't have as much interest in getting it running as I do its big brother. Having said that, because the parts essentially function the same, the ZB37 build is based off the Bren build. Also, I don't believe 922 or whatever would apply to this gun so I'm not making new parts to satisfy that.

Oh, and I don't nickname my guns or anything really but my ZB37 deserves this one: The Beast. That's because this thing weighs a ton.

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: April 13 2013 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote machinist89

Mech. Yep the bren is a mgs kit. The reciever is a train wreck but it is coming along. M89

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: April 13 2013 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote machinist89

Tiger1

I'm glad you are preserving the recoil. That's the signature of this beast. I wish the fancy tripods were still available.

If you want to share you design approach with the group, I will pitch in (no charge that is) on the striker fab for you. The bren was simple to make so I expect similar effort on the ZB. Ill just need some sketches with dimensions and how things interface within the receiver. I have a muffle furnace so heat treating is an option on alloy steels. While I am not off the grid, like someone we know, my delivery may not be quick.

M89

Mech warrior

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 13 2013 at 11:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mech warrior

Tiger1 wrote; My last step is the hammer/striker and I have to carve it out of some steel with a dremel and some files because I don't have anything other then a mini lathe and basic tools.

Sweet! I am in the same boat, minus the mini lathe! I make up for it with my mad dremel skilz! It doubles as my mill also!

I am not familiar with the blocking set up WLA did on the ZB37, the Bren was easy, just welding up the rail slots and adding some pins for the bolt. Is the ZB37 the same, more or less? Pics would be cool.

Also, you mentioned welding with the barrel pointing down, is that because it will shrink/ warp to straight?

PKw VI Tiger1

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: April 16 2013 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote PKw VI Tiger1

I'm going to be a horrible person and post an update.

I'm his little brother (who he may/may not have mentioned), but he was admitted to the hospital on saturday, from an infection that essentially caused septic shock. He's doing much better, and should be back online within a few days.

I don't know how much personal stuff he posts, just wanted to throw this up here in case people are concerned about his lack of being around/online this weekend.

Mech warrior

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 16 2013 at 11:07pm | IP Logged Quote Mech warrior

PKw VI Tiger1 wrote; I'm going to be a horrible person and post an update. I'm his little brother (who he may/may not have mentioned), but he was admitted to the hospital on saturday, from an infection that essentially caused septic shock. He's doing much better, and should be back online within a few days. I don't know how much personal stuff he posts, just wanted to throw this up here in case people are concerned about his lack of being around/online this weekend

Thank you for the update! We had no idea. Hope he is doing well and recovers rapidly. I kinda wondered why he hadn't been on in a bit, but at the same time, i figured he was messing around with this or other projects. wish him well for me!

Woodey

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: April 17 2013 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote Woodey

PKw VI Tiger1 wrote:

I'm going to be a horrible person and post an update.<br><br>I'm his little brother (who he may/may not have mentioned), but he was admitted to the hospital on saturday, from an infection that essentially caused septic shock. He's doing much better, and should be back online within a few days.<br><br>I don't know how much personal stuff he posts, just wanted to throw this up here in case people are concerned about his lack of being around/online this weekend.<br>

Hope he recovers fully & quickly
<div style="display: none; visibility: ; opacity: 0;" id="lb"><div style="display: none;" id="lbCenter"><div id="lbImage"><div style="display: none;" id="lbBottomContainer"><div id="lbBottom"><div id="lbCaption"><div id="lbNumber"><div style="clear: both;">
<div style="display: none; visibility: ; opacity: 0;" id="lb"><div style="display: none;" id="lbCenter"><div id="lbImage"><div style="display: none;" id="lbBottomContainer"><div id="lbBottom"><div id="lbCaption"><div id="lbNumber"><div style="clear: both;">
View Woodey's Profile Search for other posts by Woodey

PKw VI Tiger1

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: April 18 2013 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote PKw VI Tiger1

I'm back and ok the hardest part was convincing the doctors that I am ok too lol.

I'll post more info on the build when i get rested up a bit. Right now I feel like a bloated used pin cushion from all the fluids and needles.

Woodey

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: April 18 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote Woodey

Glad to hear your on the mend
View Woodey's Profile Search for other posts by Woodey

Mech warrior

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: April 18 2013 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mech warrior

That would have been real crappy if i would have had to keep your barrel!

Seriously though, glad to see you back! When i read that post from your bother i was bummed for you. I wondered where you were as i had not heard back but i assumed you were just consumed with projects!

Get well soon! Stay safe.

danh

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 06 2013 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote danh

What's current ETA of ZB37 barrels?  This seems to be dragging out pretty long!
View danh's Profile Search for other posts by danh

Mech warrior

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 07 2013 at 2:10am | IP Logged Quote Mech warrior

Ya think? I know this for sure, there were 3 ordered ahead of everyone who was in this group buy, the 1st person who ordered, received their barrel today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He also commented that it dropped right in! Our group appears to be the 4th on the list for these.

As far as how much long........I don't know.

Mech warrior

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: May 11 2013 at 1:17am | IP Logged Quote Mech warrior

Just got word, you guys remember mountainmanenterprises? He was in our group......he got his! He said it looks good but he hasn't had a chance to try it yet!

<< Prev Topic ZB37 Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version