Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 25 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 25

We have 0 member(s), 4 spiders, 25 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (146):
Farmacia Barata, zacforat, flyman, aabuzheng, backbencher, wesleyhx69, autumnpu2, danqm1, blurrededge, WilliamgrigN, betteox2, jaminn11, ursulahh4, karlafx3, estellajc11, Santehhic, un medicaments sans, junkcollector, farmacia-online-di-p, GregoryLiali, LanceS4803, farmaciabarata.life, keithde3, UsnbbcBladia, Taksi154r, karinaHar, Flux, jdereede, tabathasm2, bikergunnut, Alinkaspe, Movelbedror, GlennHow, DavidSandling98, ammojoe, delorisiz2, Edwardencog, KainKelly87, comprare farmaci onl, Ghoulardi, laverneaf2, vintagemx0, christianqz69, tommynj18, chelseanp4, justingn2, laurija2, leliaws3, patriciauv60, jessiekc18, minervays2, selmaxs4, mg15, taniadf2, c0c4908, Samuel065, Patriotrok, RobertBaw, droguerieonline.life, adrianwy60, Jamesjorse, Online Comprar Medic, Craighix, augustarq2, acquista farmaci da, runner, cheriecg60, Tanner Frisby, brittneycj2, Curtisnog, pattyvn11, DRUGSTORE YOUR, bettieru2, frankieod2, avisfq2, carlaso4, shawnib18, luzmp18, Craigfrike, Arereeg5, DROGUERIE ONLINE, emilyyl69, Whiskey, elisabethxr4, eadaadaeguw, DarrickPic, susanneho16, nathanjz69, vernazh16, Skiller, imogeneyz1, melvagv3, MarinaGOnal, Msnbbttomins, yourdrugstore, mavisdb18, MEDICAMENTOS ONLINE, benitayl60, louelladu1, Thomasrousy, Droguerie Online Ach, minervape2, cal50, jacobhn18, erikahr60, ds1948, nextmusic.me, lindsayqg2, robbiekq3, bessiefo16, jodilv18, banjo, ronzor, ofeliaam11, tishacx11, hallieco60, bbrown, jamiemuu, FarimbfQuomy, deniseed1, dwightlg60, vondayj69, carolinasf18, salliesz18, debbiety69, laceyok3, loisqq16, wilmawx4, audrawo1, fredrc4, inesrk2, carrieiw16, gertrudeqj1, beckymk16, kristinnz11, Sergiojonia, julianadn3, Ricsyzbeefs, fayeem60, violetuf2, Zuzzy, tommyau60, robbiecr69, sethag69, robertno1, EcrbPainna

3D Printing Guns & Parts
Weaponeer Forums : Casting

Posted in Casting
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  vw69turbobug

Private
Private

Posted: May 01 2013 at 3:40am | IP Logged Quote vw69turbobug

orions_hammer wrote:
Inspired by the "lost PLA metalcasting" project, I decided to try "lost ABS", and it works!  The basic idea is:<br>
  1. Make your part in some soft, melty substance like 3D printed plastic.
  2. Surround the part with a castable "investment" (I used plaster of paris).
  3. Burn out the part, leaving a part-shaped hole in the investment.
  4. Pour in metal, filling the hole and making a part.<br>
Here are some castable AK FCG sets, with 3D printed hammer and disconnector (at low infill), and a wax gear as a control.  The vertical fill/vent tubes are just straws, which I hotglued onto the cast parts.  The plastic, straws, and hotglue will all melt away.  The can and plaster will remain. <br><br><br>The steel dogfood cans are my "casting flasks", which keeps the soft plaster from cracking during burnout.  <br><br>I mixed up some really thin plaster of paris, with some sand added for high-temperature strength.  I also tried adding concrete, but I think the sulfates in the plaster kept it from curing, so I can't recommend it!  You can also just buy commercial casting investment (jewelers and dentists use it).<br><br>Caution: plastic floats!  I had to weigh down the parts to keep them from floating out of the investment.  I let the plaster cure for about three days on the radiator, then set them inside my boiler's firebox for a few hours to burn out all the plastic.  Here's the flask after burnout, ready for casting:<br><br><br><br>Note the carbonized remnants of the tall plastic sprue.  Clearly I don't have good temperature control in the boiler firebox, since only one side is white.  Evidently burnout is supposed to hit 1350F, basically glowing a dim orange; I wasn't patient enough to let it get that hot, and didn't know if my ghetto investment would survive anyway.  I've tried this without the steel can, and cheapo plaster investment tends to crack up if it's not securely surrounded.<br><br>Next I poured in molten metal.  I didn't know what was going to work, so I tried some low-melting zamak (90% zinc, 10% aluminum) and my standard die-cast aluminum (which includes some silicon for fluidity).  I can't melt steel yet, and you need ceramic investment to take the heat, but evidently this process scales to steel too.  <br><br>The moment of truth: breaking open the flasks.<br><br><br>They both worked!  And they worked *great*!<br><br><br>The detail is really incredible, especially in the zamak.  You can see every 0.2mm filament layer.  You can see the smoother spots where I plugged holes with a swipe of hotglue.  You can see where tiny air bubbles clung to the original part.  I'm impressed!<br><br><br>The 5mm disconnector hole cast fine, even in aluminum.  This hole is as-cast!<br><br><br>Here's a comparison with my "best" sand cast hammer on the left, and my "first" investment cast hammer on the right.  The investment cast hammer has way better small feature detail, although the sand gives a smoother finish.<br> <br><br>Overall:<br>   &nbs p;- Detail is *amazing*, clearly showing the 0.2mm 3D printed layers.<br>    - Everything filled 100%, and out of three tries in two materials (zamak and aluminum), all three produced usable castings.  This is way better than sand casting, which still fails more often than it works for me.<br>    - Holes, undercuts, and overlapping parts seem to be castable without issues.  This is also a huge advantage over sandcasting.<br><br>There were some drawbacks:<br>    - The tiny 1/8" spring hole in the disconnector was filled with metal.  I don't know if the plaster failed to fill the hole, or if it broke off and the little plaster slug floated off somewhere.<br>    - A few tiny air bubbles left holes in the plaster on the bottom side of each part, which then filled with metal.  These are easy enough to scrape off as a postprocess, but I should vacuum debubble the investment; just tapping the sides wasn't enough.<br>    - A few carbonized fragments of burned ABS still remained on the top sides of each object.  Evidently you're supposed to flip the mold over halfway through burnout to let these burn off, or blow air through the mold, or something.<br>    - The overall process has lots of steps and waiting.  You print the parts (1 hour), glue them up (10 minutes), mix the investment (10 minutes), dunk and let cure for several days, burn out for several hours, melt metal, pour metal, let cool, and finally break out the parts.  <br><br>But when you see gleaming metal parts appear all shiny and perfect, it's worth it!<br><div style="display: none; visibility: ; opacity: 0;" id="lb"><div style="display: none;" id="lbCenter"><div id="lbImage"><div style="display: none;" id="lbBottomContainer"><div id="lbBottom"><div id="lbCaption"><div id="lbNumber"><div style="clear: both;">
wow nice work! im about to do casting myself and some things i pick up to get a better finish is to use some fine sand (then strain the fine sand to powder if you want) and put 10% bentonight clay mix in it. then coat the part with drywall mix and it will come out alot less pitted like.   
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View vw69turbobug's Profile Search for other posts by vw69turbobug

gww250

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: May 02 2013 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote gww250

Thats an incredible undertaking and thanks for posting that work. I appreciate the effort you went through. I think there is a huge potential in precision casting parts. S&W has been doing it for about 15 years will good success, even for their revolver barrels.

On the other hand for small parts which method is more time and cost effective: casting or 3d printing vs. CNC milling. Right now I think CNC milling is the best route to follow. I have a friend who makes precison parts for medical equipment on a series of CNC lathes and mills and some of these parts are hard to see with the naked eye and I doubt they could be cast or printed. Small gun action parts I think would be in the same catagory as easier to mill than to cast as no secondary cleanup work is needed.

I don't think the problem is with the technology as to printing or casting but rather with the materials we use for parts. Once somebody comes up with a high strength alloy for printing or casting then it's a whole new ball game.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View gww250's Profile Search for other posts by gww250 Visit gww250's Homepage

MachinableWax.com

Private
Private

Posted: September 12 2013 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote MachinableWax.com

Thanks for posting this! It is really great to see how far our technology advances. 10-20 years ago, this wouldn't even be in the realm of possibility. Just awesome!
Funny x 1
View MachinableWax.com's Profile Search for other posts by MachinableWax.com

Choscura

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: June 19 2015 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote Choscura

Is there any active development on this? Is anybody 3D printing guns or parts here?

"There are always challenges with weapon production: if you are going to choose a weapon based solely on it's ability to be easily produced, the stone comes highly recommended."
View Choscura's Profile Search for other posts by Choscura

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: June 19 2015 at 9:10pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Choscura

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: June 20 2015 at 9:33pm | IP Logged Quote Choscura

the casting is impressive, but does not negate needing a master to cast in the first place, and it doesn't solve the same problems as 3d printing- prototyping, for example- and 3D printing is only getting faster, cheaper, and more sophisticated., so it only makes sense to work more on that, because there are more possibilities emerging. for example, I have an idea for how to do strategic backfilling to absorb the force of recoil (the way bones do), and this can't be the best idea out there- only having a few materials to work with limits things, but this is simply another problem to solve.

and, last, because of the nature of 3D printing, you can adapt the printer to make things you don't have and do other things- like injection molding, using the extruder head. so that stuff just adds to the value of incorporating a 3D printer, even if it isn't ultimately what you use to make guns- the same as the rest of your tools.

"There are always challenges with weapon production: if you are going to choose a weapon based solely on it's ability to be easily produced, the stone comes highly recommended."
View Choscura's Profile Search for other posts by Choscura

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: June 21 2015 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

True - you need a master mold - which isn't a gun, and can be sent through the mail. I think the plastic lower companies are going to start selling molds.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Searc

Private
Private

Posted: January 04 2017 at 4:14am | IP Logged Quote Searc

Really well done!

View Searc's Profile Search for other posts by Searc Visit Searc's Homepage

<< Prev Topic Casting Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic