Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 48 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 48

We have 0 member(s), 7 spiders, 48 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (45):

Dismantling, cleaning ZB37 kits
Weaponeer Forums : ZB37

Posted in ZB37
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: December 28 2012 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote machinist89

Well there is scant information on the web regarding ZB37 machine guns, so I thought I would post my efforts to disassemble, degrease, and de-cosmoline the CFS ZB37 kit that I recently purchased through the group buy. I am not sure if this will be of help to the community or not. Generally I pre-cleaned the big parts in a paint thinner bath and used a parts cleaner brush to get most of the gunk out. Next I dismantled all the parts to clean the hidden areas, that turned out to be full of cosmoline. For some parts, like the gas regulator and barrel sleeve, I use boiling water to melt the cosmoline out of the crevasses.   I am not sure of the actual parts names, so I improvised. The process is documented using the following images. Finally, I would be grateful if any documents/ATF letters/instructions/videos of prior ZB37 semi builds could be shared. Please contact me if that is possible.

1) Upper Feed Cover, shown in reverse order after cleaning:

Here's the fully assembled part

Here's the totally dismantled cover, shown from the bottom

The feed slideout assembly with the feed pawl

The feed buffer assembly (name?), this part prevents the slideout assembly from being removed from the top cover. The bolt carrier assembly drives the buffer back during the recoil

The feed slideout assembly with the plunger, spring and top cover lock and pin

Here's the plunger inserted

This shows the orientation of the top cover lock before inserting into the machine slot

This image shows the cover lock assembled, the buffer in the fully extended position, and the slideout assembly being inserted into the guides

The buffer must be completely compressed to allow the slideout assembly to be fully inserted. This clamp worked perfectly to compressed the buffer to remove/insert the slideout assembly!

Stay tuned for the next post! M89
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View machinist89's Profile Search for other posts by machinist89

Mech warrior

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 28 2012 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote Mech warrior

Very nice!!!! Thanks for making this thread! I can't wait to get started on these. I have been swamped with other iron's in the fire, but am looking forward to sharing info as well as getting these running!
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Measure, think about it, measure again, think about it some more, measure again, then cut......."Oh S***!!!!"

"Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened." Billy Gram

"If my calculations are correct......when this baby hits 88mph, your gonna see some serious sh*t!"
View Mech warrior's Profile Search for other posts by Mech warrior

PKw VI Tiger1

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: December 29 2012 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote PKw VI Tiger1

I found it easier and a bit safer to compress the internal receiver buffer spring with a large jawed vice grip. I had better control over releasing the pressure with it.
View PKw VI Tiger1's Profile Search for other posts by PKw VI Tiger1

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: December 29 2012 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote machinist89

Part #2, lower belt guide, reverse order:

Orient feed pawl handle roughly 45° and insert small drill bit into hole to drive the retainer pin out

Here's the liberated parts

lower feed pawl

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: December 29 2012 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote machinist89

3) Upper feed cover assembled to receiver:

the locking assembly slides into the receiver first

The handle must be lifted to clear the receiver stops, then the top cover can be fed into the two guide pins

The top cover locking lever engages into the locking assembly slot to hold the top cover open

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: December 29 2012 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote machinist89

4) lower feed tray and belt extraction assembly mounted to receiver

Here's the lower feed tray positioned onto the receiver. This part allows correct spacing of the cut sections during the future rewelding task

The opposite side of the receiver showing the belt extraction guide

The disassembled belt extraction guide

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: December 29 2012 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote machinist89

5) Recoil spring mount and fire rate adjuster mounted in top cover

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: December 29 2012 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote machinist89

6) Belt feed mechanism

The lower feed tray mounted in receiver. The top of the arm assembly engages the lower feed pawl and the lower arm engages the bolt carrier

Feed pawl full engaged

The slot in the bolt carrier that drives the feed pawl back and forth. Just imagine how the machinists in the 30-40's managed to cut this complex shape without CNC machines, impressive!!!

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: December 29 2012 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote machinist89

7) Bolt carrier and bolt lockup position

bolt fully open

bolt sliding closed

bolt fully closed in locked up position. The BREN has a machined wedge in the receiver that sets the lock up position and thus the head space. This wedge can be removed and ground or replaced to change the headspace if needed. The ZB37 has the wedge assembly as part of the bolt carrier. Since the barrel is fixed to the bolt carrier, the headspace is forever set. Interesting design!

Mech warrior

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 30 2012 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote Mech warrior

Looks like blueprints in the background. Where did you come across those?

Measure, think about it, measure again, think about it some more, measure again, then cut......."Oh S***!!!!"

"Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened." Billy Gram

"If my calculations are correct......when this baby hits 88mph, your gonna see some serious sh*t!"

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: December 30 2012 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote machinist89

The German zb37 manual can be found here. Hope you can read German :0

[PDF] Tschechisches 7.92 mm schweres MG ZB 37 - AutoChart
www.autochart.com/ZB37/ZB37.pdfFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
7.92 mm schweres MG ZB 37. FROM “WAFFEN REVUE”. Nr 102 1996. The staff of BrenLMG.com ...

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: January 03 2013 at 7:16pm | IP Logged Quote machinist89

#8 Fire Control Group
The ZB37 has the most unique FCG I have ever seen. The twin handles allow you to pull back the bolt carrier to cock the gun. The sear catches the carrier to hold in the cocked position until the fire button is pushed. It appears the selector switch provides a safety position (center, theta), automatic (A), or single fire (F). In single fire, a long lever apparently allows the sear to catch and stop the bolt carrier after cycling each round. This is how it appears to work, but I may have interpreted the action incorrectly.

Here's the FCG before disassembly

First remove the sear pin, sear and spring. Next remove the pin that holds the locking lever. Push the fire button while pushing the locking lever forward until it can be removed from the FCG.

There is a trick to the disassembly of the selector knob assembly. The switch is pushed past the single fire (F) position. A raised pin in the bottom of the housing normally retains the assembly in the FCG housing. Pushing the selector past the F position allows the pin stop to clear the assembly, so it can be removed.

Here is all the parts 'exploded'

To re-assemble the selector assembly, it needs to be put back together like this. The selector piece at the end of the springs needs to be in the 'down' position as shown in the image. Slide the assembly into the housing and turn the selector to the F position to lock it in.

Re-assemble everything else in reverse order. That's it!

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: January 03 2013 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote machinist89

possibly the source of our barrel group buy?

http://www.prexis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Sto re_Code=P&Product_Code=Z8BM&Category_Code=UMBM

wizzegun

E-2
E-2

Posted: January 04 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote wizzegun

Awesome thanks Machinist! I know what I am doing this weekend.

I showed a friend the ZB kit and he is excited to build too. We have built AK's and he recently bought a lathe and mill. He is willing to help out where he can.
View wizzegun's Profile Search for other posts by wizzegun

Mech warrior

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 04 2013 at 11:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mech warrior

Machinist, yes it is the source. Still waiting. Should be very soon though. Got to have a barrel to shoot the darn things!

Your pictures are very good! Very informative as well. I tried to find the site with the prints but could not. If possible, can you repost a link? There is an icon to insert a link, it looks like a planet with a chain link under it, click it and then paste the link. Please!!!!

Thanks!

1fozziebear

E-3
E-3

Posted: January 07 2013 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote 1fozziebear

Any way you could email that dwg .pdf.  I tried to go to the webpage and it was blocked?

Thanks

View 1fozziebear's Profile Search for other posts by 1fozziebear

Mech warrior

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 08 2013 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mech warrior

1fozziebear, i tried as well and no go.

Machinist89, is it possible to get the dwg pdf from you?

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 11 2013 at 11:39pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

BrenLMG.com closed that's why the link won't work.

A result of the Obummer economy .

View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

machinist89

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: January 12 2013 at 10:46pm | IP Logged Quote machinist89

I added the German manual and a mechanical drawing in the Blueprint and drawings forum. It took forever to upload these files!!! M89

1fozziebear

E-3
E-3

Posted: January 16 2013 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote 1fozziebear

Thank you very much
View 1fozziebear's Profile Search for other posts by 1fozziebear

<< Prev Topic ZB37 Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version