Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 42 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Walther Handguns

Taurus Handguns

Springfield Armory Handguns

Smith & Wesson Handguns

Sig Sauer Handguns

Ruger Revolvers

Kel Tec Handguns

Ruger Handguns

Glock Handguns

FN Handguns

CZ Handguns

EAA Corp

Semi-Automatic Rifles

Saiga Shotgun

Ammunition

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 43

We have 1 member(s), 6 spiders, 42 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
IFSA

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (49):

Semi build of a PKM
Weaponeer Forums : PKM

Posted in PKM
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: April 10 2006 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

A couple of weeks ago I loaned out one of my PKM parts sets to the guy thats worked up the hammer type FCG for the dp-28 and after about 2 days He brought it back over with what should be the simplest striker mechanism so far. Originaly we were working to get a sample together to send to tech but at the knob this weekend I saw wiselite had their semi PKM running and ready to submit so I thought I would share my thoughts on our design.

The hardest part with the pkm is that the return spring sits on the bottom of the carrier and prevents the use of a conventional hammer. Our plan is to simply machine a flat plate that looks like the rear profile of the carrier assembly with a clearance hole for the return spring and a guide rod welded in place that is paralel to the return spring but would sit just above it. The rec back plate/stock is then drilled 1/2" and a striker spring tube aprox 6" long is epoxied in place that corresponds with the spring guide welded to the striker. With this tube projecting rearward into the stock we now have a place for a striker spring. Since the striker is the same profile as the rear of the bolt the bottom edge of it is able to engage the sear in the grip housing. The fa sear is removed and the sides of the opening are welded up so its to narrow to accept the original sear and a new sear with disconnect are in the works to allow possitive disconnect .

The sear engagement notch has been ground from the bottom of the carrier and the groove that engages the tab on the firing pin has been filled and welded so its now impossible to insert an fa fixed firing pin. The gas tube has 2 hardened pins that protrude into the opening so an FA carrier cant be inserted and the trunion has been modified so an unmodified gas tube cant be inserted. Additionaly there is a block welded in the rec just forward of the fcg housing that prevents an FA carrier from ever bieng inserted just like the 42. In a nutshell, the bolt carrier wont accept the fixed firingpin, the gas tube nor receiver will accept an FA carrier and there is no way to get an unmodified gas tube in place so there are 2 positive methods of preventing insertion of the fa carrier assembly.

Thats as far as I have gotten to date but with wiselite/mgs submitting their design I probably wont work much farther on the project unless Jestism has a rec really close to release. If mike does have an 80% really close I might finish this up machine a batch of the fcg assemblies and offer to machine internals. Any thoughts or comments welcome. PBB

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View panaceabeachbum's Profile Search for other posts by panaceabeachbum

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: November 24 2006 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

For those working on the 80% receiver feel free to post build information, notes, and advise to the link below

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3346& PN=1&TPN=1

Edited by Weaponeer
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: November 24 2006 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

I have my sear/disconenctor and striker mechanism all worked out and I believe all the NFA compliance issues figured out. I am drilling a hole in the buttstock from the inside and gluing a peice of 3/8OD brass tubing in place for the striker spring. This will allow a striker that is baisicly just a flat plate  welded to a guide rod that will go thru the spring. The flat plate that makes up the head of the striker has the same profile as the rear of the carrier

I have one of the shells Mike was selling with the dimple that needs to be deepened . I still need to machine a set of reinforcing rails , feed Pawl mount and ejector as well as cutting all the appropriate openings and this one will be under way. Just need to finish up my m60 semi first.

schaubel777

SFC
SFC

Posted: December 09 2006 at 12:02am | IP Logged Quote schaubel777

Is everyone planning on using machined rails?  After quite a bit of study in my Kalashnikov book (Ezell) and freezing the frames of Vltor's video's it would seem that in order to use machined rails you would need to lower the "shelf" on the top of the channel.  Just thinking outloud but if formed sheetmetal worked for the Russians and everyone else using this model why wouldn't it work for us?  Also note the early models used simple ejectors cut from the same channel material instead of the rivet in types we should have received.   I'm thinking that machined rails would be tougher but should be overkill for a semi auto gun.  A full auto may benefit from it after thousands of rounds but we are all building semi's except for a class 2 or 2 in this buy.  Has anyone figured out the feed pawl setup?  It seems my kit came with 2 feed pawl brackets that are both left sided.....Getting close but have found photos or drawings of this setup are quite hard to come by.  Need to check out a live gun.   I think I'm going to try and get some photos of the gizzards of a live Russian gun here pretty soon.  Have never posted photos on here before but with pic's in hand I'll be sure to find a way.   Seems like a long way off but PBB has what should be a simple plan for this to get a jumpstart if we would just get our kits dusted off.  I remember how daunting the MG42 semi conversion seemed but with a solid semi trigger group offered the build became quite easy...even for a first time welder.  Hope everyones kitbuilding is progressing!  Happy building.

Disagree x 1
View schaubel777's Profile Search for other posts by schaubel777

panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: December 10 2006 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

schaubel777 wrote:
Hey PBB.  Maybe my kit came assembled incorrectly but likely I'm missing something.  How does the bolt/ bolt carrier function if the firing pin doesn't protude from the bolt face?  Withe the bolt installed in what seems to be the correct manner I cannot impact the rear of the bolt with anything that causes the firing pin to pass the plane of the bolt face.  Is there a trick to this or am I missing a spring or other part?  Thanks.

when the bolt rotates and the carrier slides all the way forward it shouldcause the firing pin to protrude from the bolt face

Guests

Guest Group
Guest Group

Posted: December 10 2006 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Guests

Part of the conversion to semi-only process is....

1) modify the bolt carrier so that an unmodified bolt will not fit/function as originally designed. (which PBB just described above)

2) modify the actual bolt to hold and function with a floating firing pin that will require a "striking force" applied to the FP to fire the weapon.

The first could be accomplished many ways, with the simplest being either welding in a sleeve that would slightly reduce the ID or at a minimum weld up the slot that allows the FP to enter the carrier.

Then, depending on how you modified the carrier, you would need to modify the FP to be floating (remember it needs to be long enough to extend out the back of the bolt when the bolt is closed) and reduce the OD of the bolt if you reduced the ID of the carrier.

IMO you would not need any FP spring... just let it float in the bolt as the FP does not have enough mass in itself to fire a primer.

View Guests's Profile Search for other posts by Guests

panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: December 17 2006 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

what is this rivet for? is it for the feed pawl bracket?  spacing is off from the other side so i have to ask

panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: December 17 2006 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

how are you guys planning on bucking the rivet in the locking lug area of the trunion? a little far to reach with the plinker riveting jig

Guests

Guest Group
Guest Group

Posted: December 17 2006 at 12:23pm | IP Logged Quote Guests

panaceabeachbum wrote:
what is this rivet for? is it for the feed pawl bracket?  spacing is off from the other side so i have to ask.

Yes... that rivet is for the front feed pawl bracket. The front bracket is different than the rear (thus the spacing difference) as the bracket has a "bulge" that supports the charging arm when it is fully forward.

View Guests's Profile Search for other posts by Guests

schaubel777

SFC
SFC

Posted: December 19 2006 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote schaubel777

PBB so after Christmas you'll be ready to convert our trigger groups?  Good luck on your build.  I hope it goes smooth.  Also, what do you think about the neccesesity of adding machined rails to the receiver? VLTOR has done this I just wonder as the original doesn't seem to have them.  Thanks.

panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: December 20 2006 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

the one I was able to breifly look in it had a second stamped piece spot welded in the inside top of the rec on each side to reinforce the upper lip of the rec.  I think the rec shell from prexis is thick enough it doesnt need any reinforcing

panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: December 23 2006 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

But I decided to bend up the inner rails

Here are a few pics of my semi PKM build. I will update with some text after Christmas

Here you can see the recess cut in the trunion for the reinforcing rail to clear

Here you can see the recess on either side of the stock trunion to clear the reinforcing rail

Edited by panaceabeachbum

panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: December 24 2006 at 5:30pm | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

tikka1969

Private
Private

Posted: January 05 2007 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote tikka1969

what thickness of steel are you using?and is there such a thing as a blue print for this gun.???there dosn't seem to be much info out there at all,very strange.also does anyone have more opinions on the rails?do they have to be hardened steel?the work you are doing is great please keep it up.
View tikka1969's Profile Search for other posts by tikka1969

schaubel777

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 20 2007 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote schaubel777

Seems this build has lost steam.  I was interested in a trigger pack.  How is this project coming along?   PBB, did you have success with your semi?   Mine is just taking up floorspace and dinging my bare toes on occassion.  I rivetted my ejector in to the channel and now have to remove it and fill holes and re-rivet as the bolt no longer fits due to the ejector binding.  Seems like this one is going to take a while. 

On a separate note, if anyone bought the Romanian kits w/o tripod I would be willing to let mine go to fund my Dshk build.   Robbing peter to pay paul but oh well. 

Mr.BCH

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: August 18 2007 at 4:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mr.BCH

2695 at mgs.  what was the original price before they started taking out hte extra barrel, anyone remeber?
View Mr.BCH's Profile Search for other posts by Mr.BCH

ppsh41

CSM
CSM

Posted: August 18 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote ppsh41

around $1800 I think
View ppsh41's Profile Search for other posts by ppsh41

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: August 18 2007 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Wholesale Price: $2,695.00

FREE SHIPPING! HUNGARIAN PKM KIT. 7.62X54R BELT FED GP MACHINE GUN WITH TRIPOD, BIPOD, TWO BARRELS AND LONG LIST OF PARTS AND ACCESSORIES INCLUDING ONE 200RD AMMO CAN, BELT & CARRY CASE. BARREL IS NUMBERED TO THE GUN. Basic action/handling marks on bolt, bolt carrier & stock from 20 + years of storage.

panaceabeachbum

LTC
LTC

Posted: August 27 2007 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote panaceabeachbum

I am going to be actively working on the project again , I have my striker fired gun working with the prexis receiver but with the striker light enough not to dimple primers if it follows the bolt home its not 100% ignition with all ammo. I have a beautiful hammer fired design that I will be assembling on a vltor receiver when it arrives this week . Updates to follow

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: September 24 2007 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

What is this and where does it go?

<< Prev Topic PKM Next Topic >>

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version