Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 34 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

laser cut handgun frame
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: July 28 2013 at 11:56pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

well i was drawing up some 3d files for work to have sent in for laser cutting, and was thinking about having them make a few of these frames for myself since we'll be dealing with them anyways.

-prototype-

and if one wants a double barrel, just add a second middle layer, hammer, and trigger.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View yaybacon's Profile Search for other posts by yaybacon

clkramer

SFC
SFC

Posted: July 29 2013 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote clkramer

why china? laser cutting is cheap here in the state and no import export stuff to deal with
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View clkramer's Profile Search for other posts by clkramer

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: July 29 2013 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Yay - are the parts pre-drilled, or will they come in as just flats?  If they come in as flats w/ no holes, I don't see that they're necessarily firearms parts.  If they've already got the holes drilled, then I think they're clearly firearms parts, which fall under ITAR, & you might have to pay a firearms importer to bring them in.

Pretend for a second you're building an AR-15 lower receiver out of these parts, & ask yourself,"What would BATFE do?"  If the answer is fire tear gas into the underground school bus, then consider other options.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Slowhand

SFC
SFC

Posted: July 29 2013 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Slowhand

Backbencher - I like your second part and the advice to consider other options! Well put.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: July 31 2013 at 12:09pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Yay, forgot to add - nice looking pistols.

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: August 01 2013 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

Very Nice

It was called Schindler's List

Don't run...

You'll only die tired
View northumbrian's Profile Search for other posts by northumbrian

clkramer

SFC
SFC

Posted: August 01 2013 at 7:25pm | IP Logged Quote clkramer

I like the pistol's concept. I am interested in the progress of your work. I am thinking something in the lines of a semi auto pistol using plates put together. Water jet cutting could easily make the out line then just machine the critical areas.
 Keep up the goog work and when you area up ad going I would like to buy a set. Thanks 
View clkramer's Profile Search for other posts by clkramer

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: August 01 2013 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Sorry i've been out of state for the last few days. i could try to draw up a semi auto i suppose, but for now I wanted to stick to something that didn't depend on close tolerances of parts and much more than a lathe and drill press

Slowhand

SFC
SFC

Posted: August 02 2013 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote Slowhand

I would be interested in the dbl barrel version to fire the 22 shotshell as it can be done with smoothbores and assembled quite easily. Laminating layers should make it very doable.

trickyrick

CSM
CSM

Posted: August 02 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote trickyrick

it would have to have 18" barrels and an over all of 26" for smoothbore barrels, slowhand, iirc.
Agree x 1
View trickyrick's Profile Search for other posts by trickyrick

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: August 02 2013 at 10:38pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Does this gap between the hammer and back of the frame bother anyone else? I left it open to help fit the hammer into it, but if I redesign the layers to have one side unscrew i won't need it, but itll require more fitting and tapping by the end user

Might remove the half-cock if the laser's beam is too wide

OldCoot

1LT
1LT

Posted: August 04 2013 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote OldCoot

Neat work.  Double barrel hammer designs are always a hoot.
View OldCoot's Profile Search for other posts by OldCoot

phsarge

SSG
SSG

Posted: August 09 2013 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote phsarge

I like it.

Why not just get a cheap ruger 10/22 takeoff barrel to do away with a smoothbore barrel.

Just saying you can get takeoff barrels cheap.
View phsarge's Profile Search for other posts by phsarge

tr6guns

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: August 10 2013 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote tr6guns

You could also get Raw Barrel Blanks cheap from Green Mountain Barrels cut them in half and chamber and you would have two. Some start out @ around 20.00 for a 10"X1"X 308 cal..

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: December 06 2013 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

while at a clients house i was offered to buy a side by side combination rifle in what looked like 6mm and 9mm.. so this happened.

Agree x 1

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: December 07 2013 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

: )

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: June 18 2014 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

finally was able to order one of each to be cut out, should arrive in a week or so

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: July 04 2014 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

I made a mistake in assuming the person operating the laser cutter would compensate for the width of his laser instead of making me do it before handing the file to him... so might need to weld extensions to the triggers. Also he cut it out of 3/16 to fit inside another job when I asked for 1/4.. it Should still work, just ugh.

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: July 04 2014 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

They're looking great Bacon, it looks like good quality work. I've had parts cut using a waterjet cutter but never a laser cutter, the waterjet leaves an edge that is slightly roughened almost like a less aggressive hacksaw effect on the edge.
How does the laser cutting leave the edges it looks much smoother in the photos than waterjet cutting.
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: July 04 2014 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

the edge is nice, just after the guy was done cutting them the wrong size, he also sanded them with something that had a sponge backing. and took off way too much material on the edges... wish he mentioned when I ordered the parts.  He knew I was going to layer these and needed a good flat surface.. oh and not sure you can tell in the photo, but any edge that looks rough on these. is also rough in the file I gave him, so it is my fault. the laser cuts edges actually really smooth

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version