Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 41 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

laser cut handgun frame
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 09 2014 at 2:30am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

maybe welding them together just might add enough length that you need, before grinding them level.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: July 20 2014 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View yaybacon's Profile Search for other posts by yaybacon

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: July 21 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Moar?
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: July 22 2014 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

been busy drilling and tapping pilot holes, brazed the tips of the triggers to fix them being undersized

breechblock

after I solder the breechblock on, I need to come up with a way to hold my lathes knurling tool in the mill spindle and make the spurs on the hammers.. and can forsee a few problems, but try to also knurl a piece of bar stock to use as a barrel rib

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: July 22 2014 at 3:02pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

very cool

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: July 23 2014 at 4:15am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Well I now have a piece of flat stock knurled for the hammer spurs,  arms feel like they are going to fall off from turning those mill feeds with that much downwards pressure, don't think I can do 17inches of this for the barrels and survive.  This was the first time I've ever seen the clamps on my spindles angle adjustment slip before. honestly scared me I Shouldn't continue. 

there isn't a local source for this is there? like lowes/homedepot.. even considered anealing a file and using that for the hammer spurs.  Does anyone have a preference on sight ribs being diamond knurled/horizontal/vertical striped, or I have a revolver that is just simply flat but sandblasted. they are supposed to stop glare

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: July 23 2014 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

I think a file might eat your thumb if you used it for a hammer spur, but might be ok if quite heavy for a sight rib.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: July 24 2014 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Needed connecting rods/plunger things for the main spring, and these are kind've brittle but at 50 for 5.99 and I didn't have any other sheet metal laying around.. yeah

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: July 24 2014 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Hacksaw blades seem to get used in gunmaking a LOT.  There's an AR bullpup with the trigger linkage being a hacksaw.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: July 31 2014 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

while working on it, I've been testing those hacksaw blade-plungers alot.. and the spring tension tends to bend them outward (which will later be stopped by the stock) which I originally thought that bending would cause failure in the hacksawblades. but maybe because I hit them with the blowtorch to anneal them or just me being wrong. there are no signs of failure under extreme conditions. hurray

Decided to get fancy and add a captive pin for removing the barrels like the ar-15's have. so to break the rifle down for transport takes only the tip of a bullet

added some round endpieces to add meat for the grip screw. will probably extend this section in my cad drawing If I ever have more laser-cut. also sanded everything~

cut that section out of the hammers and soldered a pin for the pushrods and the spurs. cut that section out of the triggers for their springs. and started making the hinge/ejector part of the barrels

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: July 31 2014 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

You're a long way from toilet paper & glue, buddy.  Looks good.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: August 09 2014 at 12:05am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: August 09 2014 at 1:48am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

Looking very nice

The last time I did any knurling on a mill, I made up a fixture, with a slot cut for the piece to sit in and clamped the piece together with the fixture to the table.
The slot terminated and formed a stop so the part would not slip.

Yeah it's extra work but it saves the clamps from slipping.

It was called Schindler's List

Don't run...

You'll only die tired
View northumbrian's Profile Search for other posts by northumbrian

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: August 09 2014 at 5:18am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Thanks for the advice, but I meant the angle of the mill head moved on me, scared me I might break something for a few minutes.. but it is a strong mill and everything looks fine.. probably just backlash between the worm gear for rotating the head.  The next attempt after that I did 1/8" passes instead of the full width and had no problems

-inserts stock photo-

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: August 09 2014 at 6:14am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

What mill have you got? Out of curiosity.
I'm thinking about a second mill, with a longer X axis travel, and more capacity to do larger assemblies etc.

I hope I didn't try teaching you to suck eggs, not the intention.

It was called Schindler's List

Don't run...

You'll only die tired
View northumbrian's Profile Search for other posts by northumbrian

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: August 09 2014 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

yaybacon wrote:
[/QUOTE]

So you're building a new shotgun around an old bbl assembly?  Nice!

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: August 09 2014 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

oh I thought I posted a picture.. the barrels are 22lr liners soldered into 5/16x1/2" tubing and then soldered together. I still have two 6" pieces left over from the original 22" liner for the pistol shaped pieces I also had laser cut

OldCoot

1LT
1LT

Posted: August 10 2014 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote OldCoot

Yaybacon, your work is an inspiration to quite a few of us.  Your little rifle reciever is just neat....
View OldCoot's Profile Search for other posts by OldCoot

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: August 14 2014 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Wow, thank you. While trying to figure out what material to make the butt pad from and going through pictures of black powder guns with solid brass pads, I have been playing around with the idea of adding a patch box to the stock.  But, after spending a few hours shaping the stock I don't have the courage to put dents into it clamping it in the mill.. who votes that I add one to hold... cartridges or cleaning supplies or gold doubloons or whatever

-examples-

-

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: August 20 2014 at 3:03am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

can add firing pins now

and about the pistol.. I think I'll do 6inch barrels like the first set I made and later destroyed from over polishing

also it was an after thought and will be refined on the pistol, but I made the ejector spring inward to stop friends from slamming the action shut without pressing it in and bending it...again
 (thats why the first pistol has a ramped section now)

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version