Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 23 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 23

We have 0 member(s), 12 spiders, 23 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (71):

BGN’s Wiselite build
Weaponeer Forums : ZB37

Posted in ZB37
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 07 2011 at 2:05am | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

FYI, the parts I have machined so far have been surface hardened. I am using TiAln bits with coolant and they are working real well. I'm sure it can be done with carbide dry without problems with light cuts,don't go faster when you get through the hardness cause it's hardened on the other side too .
Agree x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 15 2011 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Anybody welding yet? What are you using?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

CaptMax

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: January 15 2011 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote CaptMax

bikergunnut, Just use a big piece of aluminum block milled to fit tightly inside the receiver, then mill it out enough that you can insert some sheet copper to back up the weld. Double check your measurements and then clamp the hell out of it so nothing moves. This is what I do for my re-welds when a welding jig isn't available.
CaptMax

View CaptMax's Profile Search for other posts by CaptMax

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 15 2011 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

I meant what process and what filler . I have most of what I can get done without mating up parts to check fit so I'm gonna work out a fixture. Looking for some input on the actual welding if anybody has done it yet.

oprod

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: January 17 2011 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote oprod

I normally use a combonation of tig welding and arc welding. I will go in the crevass and tack the pieces together where they are now thin or against the copper plates. If rod is needed I will use mild steel, as it flows well. Then I will either switch to a stainless rod or switch to an arc welder and use 3/16 7013 for the center area of the weld. I then switch back to tig and finish up the weld with mild steel if i went the stainless route. If I went the 7013 route i fillher all the way up, clean off with wire bruch best i can, get the tig out and fill in the low areas to each side of the arc weld. I normally hot blue afterwards and therefore do not duracoat. I think a lot of guys duracoat so after they weld and grind they fill any craters with filler prior to duracoating.  That subject is pretty well covered in the painting and finishing section of the web site. With all that said it probably does bear mentioning that you sould do your semi mods first to the internals, bolt, and rieciever pins prior to welding the frame together,

slowfinger

MSG
MSG

Posted: January 17 2011 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote slowfinger

Ok, That's a good method of permenently welding the receiver but how are you jigging up your pieces to the correct dimentions? Is it the top cover that gives you the length?  I would imagine a copper plate on one side for a type of jig. Any pics would be appreciated when you weld!
View slowfinger's Profile Search for other posts by slowfinger

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 17 2011 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

So far the front piece will be set with the mount. The barrel recipricated on the original and the semi dosen't so there is a lot of leeway. I will be moving back from there using internals to check as I go. Also with all the room in the front you can be kind of messy (minimal backing) and just make sure it's all square. Then clean out the grooves.

Got some house stuff to do today but hope to get the front done after thats done .

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 21 2011 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Welding update, I don't see a real "jig" being needed. So far I put the front parts in the mount and clamped it up with some alluminum scraps, made sure it still swings good in the track and tacked it up. When I took it apart the top had lengthened 1/8" or so but the bottom length was good and the sides still flat. I cut the top tacks and it popped back in spec, the jacket and "clamp" slid in and out so now I made a 1'' plate cut out for the front mount and drilled holes in it matching the "vent holes" in the bottom front and the holes drilled in the receiver for the cocking handle guide. Bolted it down and progressing nicely. Looking ahead to the rear section it looks like clamping it to some alluminum or copper plate may do the trick. Will see how that works when I get there (Sunday?).
Optimistic x 1

slowfinger

MSG
MSG

Posted: January 22 2011 at 1:58am | IP Logged Quote slowfinger

How about some welding pictures for us to follow?

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 22 2011 at 2:13am | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

I plan on showing pics of the set-up but pictures of my welding will not be seen till ground down and filled in if needed .

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 24 2011 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Here it is bolted to a piece of alluminum plate, you can see the copper backing inside. I cut it to size and move it to where it's needed. I will have to cut it out when I'm done. I did it this way so I can check fit the shroud.

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 24 2011 at 11:48pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Bolting it to the plate and the piece I used to space the top:

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 24 2011 at 11:52pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Have an idea on how to do the rest of it:

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 24 2011 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Do some grinding and filling in after work tomorrow and yes I cover the bike when I weld and grind .

slowfinger

MSG
MSG

Posted: January 25 2011 at 1:50am | IP Logged Quote slowfinger

Whay type of bike do you have? My buddy had a 47 Knucklehead!

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: January 25 2011 at 3:42pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

bikergunnut wrote:
Do some grinding and filling in after work tomorrow and yes I cover the bike when I weld and grind .

Wow you are making some good progress. Wish I had something done with mine.

Are you using a stick welder?

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

Jayhovers

Private
Private

Posted: January 31 2011 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote Jayhovers

Anyone installed the blocking bar yet?  There is an internal rail that would be ideal to position the bar but the CD pictures do not show the bar.  Or, what is the measurement from the top or bottom of the receiver?  Thanks
View Jayhovers's Profile Search for other posts by Jayhovers

Jayhovers

Private
Private

Posted: January 31 2011 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote Jayhovers

Anyone install the blocking bar yet?  There is an internal rail that appears to have been removed.  Is the rail removed or is the blocking bar welded next to it?
View Jayhovers's Profile Search for other posts by Jayhovers

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 31 2011 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

slowfinger wrote:
Whay type of bike do you have? My buddy had a 47 Knucklehead!

Got a '78 FXS in 1990 and a 2000 FXSTB new. Had about 15 others over the years but those two stick around .

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 31 2011 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

weaponeer wrote:

bikergunnut wrote:

Wow you are making some good progress. Wish I had something done with mine.

Are you using a stick welder?

Yup, the stick I was using may need to be dried out. You can see some of the blowout I was getting in the bottom of the first pic.  Been busy and haven't gotten back to it yet. Hopefully do some more tonight.

<< Prev Topic ZB37 Next Topic >>

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version