Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
4 members and 24 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 28

We have 4 member(s), 10 spiders, 24 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
uplikigue, katedj4, celinayy16, elsieug11

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (295):
elsieug11, katedj4, uplikigue, celinayy16, FugJertantara, fefAdmike, empisypeSpeancy, Altessy, vozysoove, tesPexengexia, irragmatraump, HoxiasillHist, Murasnasp, ExceteRem, doragz60, Black Beard, wallacexe69, fermneoroup, Tammerwourb, petHepsitEstifs, Breemedok, UnincavailmCant, Emissoksattib, voldjeoveaM, easermedo, Juitlekneentero, lorenemn16, m1a76251, soriissuend, Wraklyadula, mablefz3, EvaemodE, MichaelMor, maryannju1, bikergunnut, KeypeBreelty, alibiaEmand, reonfubrolo, FoneeZexCot, sketwolilleagek, mereebova, backbencher, erolerenelo, seanbn1, PerLipBeilirl, rulmiriucculkiz, maeqr18, tracigw1, bernadetteoy2, deenakc18, Burkingwourb, JamesNex, janellesu11, francescani1, shawnge11, bbrown, georgekb2, edgarwr1, Malinamup, Waltermox, claudetteeh3, melodyoh11, Akirgwourb, kelseyom60, victorun2, nicholasxw18, jimdoc, GermanHit, emiliabt60, Vladimirliaky, mayyg2, carmenhj4, adelayv69, yvonnejs11, isabellaav1, taylorur3, Vonniewourb, pertmors, johannapp4, tilidcino, Fragkos, rubytc18, MediaDeaw, Mcelwainewourb, charlesdn11, jeromejf1, Jeremydougs, claudebg4, beverlywk1, thomasro11, CharlesBap, enriqueyp69, APEXgunparts, bethanywz16, Buzalbinewourb, sandrafl3, adelegb2, Stephenrit, sheilama60, pearliegk60, 11millimeter, Bartysmurl, christianpe4, nanettenn1, ernakc11, Cameronnow, lucilleif11, irmaup11, Davidwhima, tonyajh2, Lornakic, graciegn18, shirleytm18, conniegg3, Brandonwar, tedyr18, denniskr60, Jeremiahwourb, melvinlf2, shannamx16, tinman19, mayrabv11, Uzitiger, inna_mphq, Jamesbar, Robertavaws, evatw11, jasminewa2, Angelenawourb, marylouva60, rosalynmv69, ekjajr, sandraxl18, ArmThePeople, evenr16, Caryretwourb, hughhn16, jaclynkq18, ryche, lesleycl1, inna_ulrl, davebe4, merlewx69, lacyal16, inna_jajt, tammyzg18, seanyw11, Jonknf, inna_txxm, toniwf18, Coronwourb, debbiefe11, ricardota60, esmeraldajn18, EvGeniTNe85, larabk11, inna_frcw, Bobcatshorn, meganrm1, inna_qiog, barbaravz18, Kalliewourb, wadexz4, elsadq4, sherylga1, inna_pxgc, alycebk60, dominiqueho11, inna_edpu, jesseak1, virgilkz3, constancejv16, Abywiswourb, Jim038, LeroyGar, ninanr18, Servicedmo, inna_gahz, shannact18, rhodaey18, wendiph11, joannalt4, Christoperwourb, sabrinaui18, roseanntf11, RobertFlimb, marshabj2, leliayl60, ingridxk18, ritael2, Dellevarwourb, leahua4, ixanobowdaleb, christyti2, lenorete60, aliciaon60, saraer1, Thomasskipt, calvinyp11, earlinemg1, anastasiajq60, louisdq16, Daniellewourb, ethelnf60, tessamb1, azotas, stephanieyn4, myragh3, inna_udwa, eugeniaom11, rosaoa16, harriettsz4, Golkreewourb, guymh4, bobhg16, carlpf4, eveoe16, inajm69, nitapj69, jessievi3, corinaer4, Jeanyopwourb, velmabt2, guyzz60, miguelmd16, belindaow11, esperanzauw69, henryza16, carlosiz1, benjaminca1, joezb69, rubyvy3, jacquelinekm4, Shaylaswara, latoyake3, janellerk18, billieym1, autumnwv4, Kosmalawourb, rayin60, harrietdg60, angelinekr60, nevafm16, christianch18, telcokrist, EugeneaPhown, Mingledorffwourb, lorrievb2, galezb18, carolyd3, tommyey18, optovkatex, cheriesc60, Arakuswourb, mariettamt16, hallieig4, christinecm69, taniakm11, ujupanenin, ohowosifiluvo, carlaqa1, Susan_Xiewresk, nancyae1, floridadon, joezv16, rosalindac3, jarednx60, Pietrowiczwourb, neilbw3, teresafm18, carolel3, jeannettelq16, karizd11, richardgt4, joankn18, Blackstalkerwourb, rachelsj4, stacyfn11, anthonywo69, christophermx18, allisonev18, Pennywourb, RobertGrown, matthewtb3, rachaelax11, randallde2, melvinjt2, nathanielio69, stevenoo2, casandrahf18, carolegj18, lawrencexh1, harveyys16, christinecs4, magdalenafd69

1906 BSA .22LR Miniature Rifle Build
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: January 06 2014 at 3:48am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

Whilst waiting for parts for the Mosin Nagant build, ie. new Receiver & barrel.

I have a need for a smaller .22LR rifle, so I fancied building an old English design from preWW1.

The BSA (Birmingham Small Arms) 1906 Miniature Rifle.
The rifle drawings were issued by the War Office in 1906 to satisfy the "prevailing desire that every British subject shall be versed in the use of the rifle must accordingly find it's expression in the multiplication of miniature ranges", given that statement, all I can say is what happened.

ADZ4A_War_Office_Pattern_Miniature_Rifle_Manual_-_1906.pdf

8Z5B9_War_Office_Pattern_Miniature_Rifle_Manual_1906_Drawing s.pdf

I have all the materials needed on the shelf, so the only thing I'll need to buy in will be the barrel.

Now one thing that is very interesting about this rifle, is it almost all made from mild steel, with minimal hardening & tempering, only on certain key parts.
The receiver is mild steel and browned only, although I'm going to blue it.

So this rifle is perfect for the home builder.

I'm going to document the build, with my usually loading of pics, plus the process descriptions of the rifle build and any tooling I'll make for it.

So more to follow, this should be a quick build as it's all very simple, nothing too complex, should tide me over until I get the Mosin parts I need.
Agree x 1Funny x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

It was called Schindler's List

Don't run...

You'll only die tired
View northumbrian's Profile Search for other posts by northumbrian

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: January 06 2014 at 4:39am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

A point of note, the term "miniature" refers to the caliber, .22 was considered miniature in Britain in the early 1900's
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: January 06 2014 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

That's neat. I'm interested in following your progress.
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: January 06 2014 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote ryche

Sounds like a cool idea and should keep you out of trouble
Just as a side note through some good trading i got the last of the parts needed to assemble my Johnson LMG semi auto.   HEHEHEHE !
This project has been in works for 10 years so i am a happy guy.
Can't wait to get to the range....

Looking forward to the pics on this project.  Also if you could continue the shop schooling we started awhile back with this project then we all get to see how the tools described before are used in live action.
Thanks Buddy
Ryche
View ryche's Profile Search for other posts by ryche

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: January 06 2014 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

I spent most of the day, with a friend, sorting out my barn, which is going to fall down soon, so I've only manage to go through my steel stock to see what I have and which is most suitable for each part.

I have every intention of keeping the shop schooling up, just have not had much time this last few weeks.
I am going to put more effort in to getting in the shop to produce some more shop tutorials.

I need to make some chamber reamers for this one, so I'll do a tutorial for making .22LR Chamber reamers, and the various operation for making a new barrel for a .22LR, everything but the boring & rifling, I'm buying a barrel blank.

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: January 06 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote ryche

Man do i understand about time   This was the season where there was never enough of it....
Anyway i figured you would get back to the training when when you got back in the shop  so no problem on the wait
 Plus you got the whole da**n farm to take care of i am amazed you get time to sleep much less shop time

And NOW i have enough time to sit down and check out what you posted.
Keep hanging in buddy i will wait for you
Ryche

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: January 07 2014 at 1:01am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

I've still got a load of work to do to the shop, The old bathroom cabinet has now been relocated into the shop, and fits nicely under the workbench, the wall cabinet, sit nicely on the worktop, just got to make the new shelves for it and that'll be ready for the tools.

Well, back to the build.

I've gone through all the drawings, on the bolt head needs to be redrawn, but I do that after I've made the receiver & bolt, then I'll make the bolt head to fit.

The drawings I printed off in the individual parts using Photoshop, by using the crop tool, set to my paper size, and then cropped to each part or group of parts.

The drawing do enlarge quite well, as I said the only part that the drawing is not clear is the bolt head, but I'll do the drawing for it, at the end of the build.

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: January 07 2014 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

I don't particularly like the original stock, so I'm going with a my own preferred style of stock: Biathlon.

Something more like this stock, made out of beech, as it's cheap and easy to work with.

I don't know what I'm doing about sights yet, not really thought about it, but I like the idea of sticking with iron sights for this one.

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: January 08 2014 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

First part of the build, the Receiver.

The drawing for the receiver

First operation, face off the bar end.

A 1" dia bar is placed in a 5C collet in my Hardinge HC lathe, you can use a 7/8" dia bar for less wastage, but I only had a 1" bar so I've got a lot of rough cuts to do in order to get it to size.

The 5C collet holds the bar truer than a 3 or 4 jaw chuck, so much better for facing an action of this type.

Centre drilling the end for turning down to size.

Bar faced & centre drilled, ready to go in the Harrison L6 lathe for turning down to final diameter.

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: January 08 2014 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

The bar is now held in the 4 jaw chuck in my Harrison L6 centre lathe.
As a point of note the steel I am using here is EN1A, which I believe the nearest US equiv is AISI 1113 or 1213, it's a free cutting low carbon steel. The drawings specify mild steel, so this should be more than suitable.

In this pic you can see the partially protruding from the chuck, with a hard centre in the tailstock, and a Dial indicator set on the bar.

I normally place the hard centre just out from the bar in order to visually centre the bar in the chuck, trying to get it as close as possible. Then using the dial indicator, I turn the chuck and watch the deflection on the dial indicator, and apply the appropriate adjustments on the chuck. I will do a full tutorial on this later.

The bar is extended out to the full length of the cut, and then redialed in, I could have done it with the full length of the bar to be cut out in the first place, but I prefer to do it twice short first then long, that way I double check myself every time.

First rough cut

Final finishing cut.

Bar turned to final size 0.835" dia, it's just over 6.25" long, the final length will be 5.7", so I've got plenty room to play with.

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: January 08 2014 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote ryche

So cool its almost like watching a soap opera...
Just need to go get some bon bons and settle in for the story...

Actually this is really cool, to see it happen,  only thing better would be being there getting in the way and asking questions
Thanks for taking the time North.
Ryche

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: January 08 2014 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

Thanks for the comments Ryche, More will follow as I "steal" time to do it, got so much on right now, I have to make time to do thing for me, to keep my sanity....

Actually, sanity is the wrong word, I'd hate to be classed as sane, let's just I need to keep hold of my marbles, all hell breaks loose when I drop one.

Yesterday I was doing an impression of Thor, smashing up some old stone mangers in my barn, I broke the sledge hammer.   

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: January 09 2014 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

Back in the Hardinge HC to bore out the receiver.

First a 6mm drill followed by an 8mm drill bit
Very carefully advance a little then pull back, then advance etc.

Next a 13mm drill bit to bore out for the barrel tang

Into the Harrison L6 to bore out to size.

Bored ready to be threaded, 5/8 x 18, it's slightly undersize, but It's better to be undersize to begin with and then open up. Yes it makes more work, but the results are better, it slows you down so your less likely to screw it up (pardon the pun)

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: January 09 2014 at 6:48am | IP Logged Quote ryche

I noticed the drill bit dosn't seem to be turning... Is it stationary and just the work piece turns???
Ryche 

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: January 09 2014 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

Next boring the receiver for the bolt.

Using 9.25mm MT1 Drill bit, I've marked the point at which I want to stop with a black sharpie.

13mm Drill bit next, bored to same depth.

I Ran out of time to continue today, need to get on with other things this afternoon.

I'll hopefully continue this evening

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: January 09 2014 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

ryche wrote:
I noticed the drill bit dosn't seem to be turning... Is it stationary and just the work piece turns???<br>Ryche 

On a lathe the work piece turns and the cutter does not turn.

So for a drill, the bit is held stationary by the tailstock or toolholder.

It's been almost two years since I last used the Hardinge HC, I forgot how good it is, I must say you Yanks certainly know how to make a lathe.
I wish I had a Hardinge HLV-H, that would certainly make my life easier, screwcutting at 500 rpm

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

DaveyG

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: January 09 2014 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote DaveyG

Definitely going to keep an eye on this one, I might have to duplicate it in .22WMR or maybe even .17HMR...
View DaveyG's Profile Search for other posts by DaveyG

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: January 10 2014 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote ryche

Yeah that was me i'm the yank that invented it
Yeah don't i wish...

So with the drill not turning do you ever get binding issues like in a drill press?  possibly breaking and jamming the bit in the work piece?

Sorry if the questions sound dumb but i'm fully new to all this big equipment.
Ryche

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: January 10 2014 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

Ryche, a question is only dumb if you don't ask it.

You do get binding, but only if you try ramming the drill in, if you have set your spindle speed correctly & you feed at the right speed you will never have a problem.

I tend to drill on a lathe by touch, I advance a little, enough to start making chips then I stop and withdraw, then i advance again, and I carry on like that until I have reached the depth or bored through.

Today, was a day of none production, spent most of it driving around looking for a 1 metre SDS drill bit, so I can drill the hole for the tie rods to hold my barn together. So no work on the build done today.

DaveyG, if you want to chamber it in .22 WMR or .17 HMR, you may need to lengthen the action a little.
I'll be able to say whether or not .22WMR will fit when I have the action built, and I can see how much room there is in the design.

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: January 11 2014 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote ryche

That's the way i always felt about it but you never know with some guys.
So that's the one and only apology i will give for dumb questions
Thanks buddy
Ryche

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version