Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 22 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Personal Defense Weapon PDW-556
Weaponeer Forums : Blueprints and Drawings

Posted in Blueprints and Drawings
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Chainmail

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: October 11 2014 at 3:54am | IP Logged Quote Chainmail

I found this on the net somewhere.

In contrast to other PDWs on the market this one is made for 5.56x45 mm ammo, but still lightweight. Limited to the essential parts it has a very simple construction and a very high reliability.

This concept makes it possible to match the PDW criteria of less than 3 kg weight (only 2 kg) and less than 50 cm in length, without the need of a folding stock or different barrel-lengths.

The ballistic data is the same as from short assault-rifles, so there is no need or risk of developing a new kind of ammunition. The experiences with the Mk262-ammo in Iraq and Afghanistan shown it effectiveness from short barrels.

Specs:

dimensions (loaded – with sight): 500 x 30 x 210 mm [the sight is 36 mm wide]
    weight (loaded – with sight): 2 kg
    ammo: 5.56 x 45 mm NATO
    barrel-length: 228 mm (9'')
    rifling: 1 turn at 9"
    magazine: 20 rounds (optional 30/100 rounds)
    trigger: DAO
    firing mode: semi-auto (optional also full-auto)
    safety: none (optional trigger-safety)
    muzzle velocity: 700 - 800 m/s (depending on ammo)
    muzzle energy: 1000 J (depending on ammo)

Red-dot-sight (for example Zeiss Z-Point)

magnification: 1 x
    dimensions: 63.5 x 36 x 44.5 mm
    weight: 150 g

The gun can be used with all NATO-specified ammunition. That includes M855/SS109-bullets as well as the lighter M193. The PDW works best with the Mk262 which is in use in Iraq and Afghanistan. The heavy 77 grain bullet (Sierra MatchKing OTM with cannelure) shows clearly improved results from short barrels. From the PDW 556 the bullet will tumble and fragment out to 125 m (estimated). The normal M855/SS109-bullets won't fragment even at Zero meters from a 9“-barrel.

C9A46_Personal_Defense_Weapon_PDW-556.zip
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Chainmail's Profile Search for other posts by Chainmail

Sagittarii

2LT
2LT

Posted: October 11 2014 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Sagittarii

Thanks for adding this.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity.
View Sagittarii's Profile Search for other posts by Sagittarii

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 11 2014 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Someone on ARFCOM reportedly has gotten an AR under 4 lbs, by throwing money @ it - GWACS lower receiver, carbon fiber forend, presumably magnesium upper & low mass bolt carrier.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: October 11 2014 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

Very interesting indeed

It was called Schindler's List

Don't run...

You'll only die tired
View northumbrian's Profile Search for other posts by northumbrian

OldCoot

1LT
1LT

Posted: October 12 2014 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote OldCoot

Would be more so in 7.62x39.  Should not take much fiddling to do the engineering given the quantity of information in the drawings.  Kinda reminds me of the old Gwinn Bushmaster, in a way.
View OldCoot's Profile Search for other posts by OldCoot

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 12 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Finally went & read the .pdf. Will 1/9" twist be enough to stabilize 77 grn .223" out of such a short bbl?

OldCoot

1LT
1LT

Posted: October 12 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote OldCoot

If it won't, backbencher, a 1:7 twist ought ot handle things.  My take on the PDW is that a bigger bore size (which loses less when you shorten the tube on a per-inch basis and is the basic reason I'd look at the Russian Short cartridge for the thing) and an easier bullet to stabilize due to the geometry would give a better performance out of a package this size.  Heck, a 9x39 round might be even better in this app.
Funny x 1
View OldCoot's Profile Search for other posts by OldCoot

Chainmail

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: October 25 2014 at 3:08am | IP Logged Quote Chainmail

I would be very interested to see blueprints of a 7.62x39mm version of this weapon if anyone cares to make them.
View Chainmail's Profile Search for other posts by Chainmail

roguetechie

Private
Private

Posted: November 18 2016 at 1:20am | IP Logged Quote roguetechie

Several of the hard core AK experts out there have outright said that if you want to go short barrel that you're better off going 5.45.

I'm a little unclear on the reasoning because I'm not an SBR guy, but they were people who are definitely trustable.

The pdw 5.56 files fascinate me too, but I've actually decided to go in an alternative direction myself.

I'm going to try my hand at doing something like the Gwinn arm gun, first in 5.56 and eventually in 5.45.

Hopefully I can figure out how to make a 74 brake pivot with the gun... If all else fails a 4 piece krink muzzle device may need to be used for sufficient back pressure to reliably cycle though.
View roguetechie's Profile Search for other posts by roguetechie

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: November 19 2016 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote justin22885

generally speaking shorter barrels favor larger diameter bullets.. when you compare the pressure curves, say equal power capacity, same powder, same barrel length (eliminate all variables) the pressure curve of the larger diameter bullet will fall off quicker while the pressure curve for the smaller diameter bullet lasts longer... but also consider pressure multiplied by the surface area of the base of the bullet determines thrust

what this means is, all else being equal, a larger diameter bullet will have more thrust and energy, but over a shorter period of time as its traveling in the barrel, a smaller bullet has less thrust but over a longer period of time.. therefor the smaller projectiles favor longer barrels

7.62x39 is just fine in an SBR PDW
View justin22885's Profile Search for other posts by justin22885

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: November 19 2016 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

There are a few magic numbers in exterior ballistics.  The obvious one is 1100 fps, the speed of sound @ sea level.  Above 1050 fps, you tend to get a supersonic crack as air flows around the bullet, meaning if you want the quietest firearm, you may want to keep velocities under 1050 fps.

Another # is not entirely clear, but it's around the 2000-2100 fps mark - @ which point it's a question of terminal ballistics.  Bullets under that velocity create a temporary cavity when passing through flesh, but only create a permanent cavity through their mechanical action of crushing and cutting the flesh in their path.  Above 2100 fps, the temporary cavity created by the bullet generally stays permanent, leading to an immediate drop in blood pressure as blood rushes to fill that cavity, in addition to whatever other damage was caused by the creating of that cavity in organs, mobility, etc.

So when taking a relatively slow centerfire round, like 7.62x39mm, and shortening the barrel, be careful not to dip under 2100 fps - unless you're going suppressed, and throwing 175+ grn pills @ 1050 fps.

5.45x39mm may have a second life if President Trump repeals the 7n6 ban, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: November 19 2016 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

i thought the 7N6 restriction came from the FBI arbitrarily restricting it based on criteria it never even matched to begin with, meaning it has no grounds to be restricted now.. i do not have faith it will be unrestricted again in the future but since im leaning towards a switch to 5.45 right now, the 7N6 being available again would definitely push me over that edge to adopting it

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: November 19 2016 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

BATFE, not FBI.  If it came back @ its previous price, I'd get me some UniMags and 5.45 would be most of what I shot.

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: November 20 2016 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote justin22885

yeah, BATFE is what i meant

but ive been considering a switch to the round anyway from 7.62x39 for many benefits, golden tiger and red army standard 5.45 ammo aint bad though and much of 5.45s penetrating capabilities isnt so much from the steel core but from the steel jacket so non 7N6 ammo tends to penetrate just as well

<< Prev Topic Blueprints and Drawings Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version