Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 47 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 47

We have 0 member(s), 4 spiders, 47 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (65):

investment castings
Weaponeer Forums : Casting

Posted in Casting
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Garand Nut

Private
Private

Posted: October 22 2014 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Garand Nut

I thought I would start a new thread and try to get some new life on the subject. The last place I worked we bought alot of steel castings and did some machining, heat treating, parkerizing and good to go. We bought our castings from Pine Tree Casting Co which is a division of Ruger fire arms and as far as I know did all of Rugers castings. Has anyone here contacted a casting company and had anything quoted? I don't know what the minimum is but I would think that this group could meet it plus any requirements that would go along with a quote like a cad model. I know there are alot of people hear that can machine to a print. Heat treat is no problem just have to pay upfront and we could even get frames and receivers heat treated as long as they were hand delivered and not mailed.

With parts drying up and the ATF constantly making new demands of the improters to destroy more and more  it just seems like a way to keep things like the 1919a4 and the M2HB  alive for all future generations with a good supply of parts on hand. Last time I looked I could only find one supplier of M2 kits @ almost $4,000 a kit and 1919;s are at $1000 and up.

All kind of parts can be casted, the small parts, frames, receivers and maybe even sideplates. everything would have to be machined like the holes, critical dimensions, threads and so forth but in my opinion its the way to go unless these parts are a no no to a  casting house???

I have alot of experience machining cast parts. I would like all the feed back I can get pros and con so please post your thoughts and experiences on the subject.

Thank you

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Garand Nut's Profile Search for other posts by Garand Nut

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: October 24 2014 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

I had a chance to get a 1919 kit for 600 dollars.
If I had known, I'd have bought four of them.
I can't justify 1300 dollars (last, cheapest kit I found) for one kit.
You cast 'em and I'll scoop a set.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: October 27 2014 at 1:11am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Shouldn't be an issue for a casting house to cast any of the parts in a parts kit. But weren't a lot of the original parts forged, not cast? Might not be an issue in a semi-auto gun that isn't expected to fire hundreds of thousands of rounds, but probably not everything could be cast.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

<< Prev Topic Casting Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version