Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 27 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

pocket pneumatic boltgun project
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  JSReer

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: February 24 2015 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote JSReer

A little pneumatic project combining custom machined parts with over-the-counter brass fittings from Home Depot.

test video 1

test video 2

The working principle is similar to the pneumatic ballistic knife previously posted, a piston pushing on the projectile that is held in place with a ball detent.  Moving the collar - either by pulling it back or by striking the whole thing against a target - displaces the balls and frees the projectile, allowing the air pressure to push it out.

More views, note that the fill valve is one of these as fitted to airsoft gas grenades and magazines.  The penetrator is a length of 7.5mm dia HSS rod round to a point. 

850 psi of HPA from a paintball tank is utilized but it could also be used with one of these 12 gram fed devices.

Agree x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View JSReer's Profile Search for other posts by JSReer

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: February 24 2015 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

Could this be scaled up to use the 3000psi from diving cylinders? I'm thinking about utilising similar pressures as the modern precharged air rifles use.
I would then use a solid hardened tip on a hollow shaft so it was more stable in flight over a slightly greater range.
I love the idea of something like this a proper sneaky beaky James Bond style weapon. Brilliant!!
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 24 2015 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Next you'll be adding anthrax, Biker.   

OP, that looks slick. Looks a bit like a pepper spray device.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: February 24 2015 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

Anthrax is sooo yesterday, I would far rather use something like Georgi Markhov got from the umbrella it's a bit more discriminating than Anthrax.

An effective range of around 10 feet would be good, I agree it does look like a pepper spray sort of thing, easily disguised and Uber deadly.

JSReer

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: February 25 2015 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote JSReer

UKBiker wrote:
Could this be scaled up to use the 3000psi from diving cylinders? I'm thinking about utilising similar pressures as the modern precharged air rifles use.

The greater the pressure on the bolt, then the more difficult the collar is to move - I fear that at 3000 psi it would be next to impossible.

UKBiker wrote:
I would then use a solid hardened tip on a hollow shaft so it was more stable in flight over a slightly greater range.

The projectile in the second video is just that, a solid brass tip on a hollow aluminum shaft.

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: February 25 2015 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

I wonder if it would be possible to adapt the trigger mechanism from a PCP air rifle to do the job. What sort of range are you getting with it so far?

JSReer

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: February 25 2015 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote JSReer

Since there's no way to really aim it, "across the room" is the most practical range.

Quote:
I wonder if it would be possible to adapt the trigger mechanism from a PCP air rifle to do the job.

If you want to shoot dart like projectiles something like the FX Verminator is definitely possible, but to have something as compact as the subject of this thread a hammer valve wouldn't quite work in terms of either size or power.  The trick is that ultimately, there is no valve.

jimjimbob

Private
Private

Posted: November 21 2015 at 1:58am | IP Logged Quote jimjimbob

care to share??
View jimjimbob's Profile Search for other posts by jimjimbob

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version