Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
5 members and 44 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users

MP40 Inspired Build
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 14 2015 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Hello. I have been lurking around this great forum for some time now and decided it was time to register and participate in this great forum. There truly is a wealth of skill and knowledge here and it is always fun to share ideas.

I like to tinker with steel and a couple of years ago I decided I would like to try to build a firearm. I'm also a WW2 buff, so I thought something like an SMG. I decided to use an AK receiver, an AK FCG, a Sten barrel & magazine, and I would make the rest. After repeated failures at "milling" a bolt, I ended up using a modified AK bolt and fabricated a bolt carrier.

Here's some pictures of that project:

That project was both satisfying and disappointing. I am happy with the way it functions and it is very fun to take out and shoot, but (perhaps because it was my first project) their are many things about it I would now do differently or "better" if I had a do-over. So, with that excuse, I am now embarking on a new build. Beginning with the old project, I thought I would like to spread-out the distance between the pistol grip and the magazine to improve the ergonomics of holding it, and lengthen the barrel and over-all length. After sketching these differences, I was struck how it looked sort of like an MP40. So, why not add features to make it resemble an MP40 more and more? I don't want to try to copy an MP40 100% in all details, but rather use the MP as a general model for my new all-steel project. Here's a sketch of what my plan currently looks like:

Key notes about this project:
* Tubular telescoping recoil spring with buffer
* Tubular receiver/bolt assembly removable from lower in MP40 fashion
* Magwell and pistol grip fashioned after MP40
* Barrel and sights fashioned after MP40
* Lower receiver all steel (No bakelite covers)
* FCG either AK or AR
*Bolt fron AK like my previous project (I'll use one from a 74 instead of 7.62x39 this time)

So, that is all I have to date. I hope to begin with a mock fit-up of the bolt/FCG soon. I'll post progress as it happens.

Best,
Ken
Oregon
Agree x 1
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View vintagemx0's Profile Search for other posts by vintagemx0

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 16 2015 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Nicely done, and do you have any drawings left from your first build? How does it shoot? Any feeding issues?

Welcome to Weaponeer, and have you any Legos?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 17 2015 at 12:23am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Hi Backbencher,

I do not have any drawings of my first weapons - I did not use any during the build. It shoots great. There are no feeding issues. Ive put around 800 rounds through it and experienced about 4 failures to fully eject and no other issues. Not too bad I'm thinking....

Thanks for the welcome. Legos....No.... I do hope to post some progress on this latest build very soon.

Regards from Oregon,

Ken

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 17 2015 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I've scrounged a few materials to begin this build. In the photo below, the large tube is .060 wall EMT (conduit) to serve as the main tube. I stripped the zinc off via a vinegar bath. The smaller tubes need the vinegar treatment yet, and they are for the recoil spring assembly. Also shown is a Sten magazine, some 16 GA CRS, and some 3/4 x 1/8 flat bar. I think I'll start with the pistol grip. I'll post when I have done so...

-Ken

ituxs

Private
Private

Posted: March 19 2015 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote ituxs

good jop
View ituxs's Profile Search for other posts by ituxs

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 22 2015 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I pretty much completed the pistol grip today. I made the skeleton from 3/4 x 1/8 flat bar, but it proved too wide. So, I ground the whole thing down to about 9/16".

Then I perimeter welded the 16 ga steel in the photo above and ground to a smooth finish.

The next sub project will be the mag well..

Regards,

-Ken

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 22 2015 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

That looks nice. Steel contours much better than Legos.

WRMorrison

Private
Private

Posted: March 23 2015 at 2:15am | IP Logged Quote WRMorrison

Wow...nice job so far!

-WRM

ETA: I just noticed that I joined this site 8 years ago and this is only my third post...
View WRMorrison's Profile Search for other posts by WRMorrison

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 26 2015 at 11:27pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I dunno guys. This forum only works 1/3 of the time for me. It hangs, kicks me out, refuses uploads.... I don't know if I can chronicle my build here. I doubt that this will post....

I see this posted "pending approval" and now I will try to attach a photo...

Nope... Bombed with the following message:

aspSmartUpload.File error '80040460'

Unable to save file (Error 1120)

/forum/functions/functions_upload.asp, line 350

This forum's engine just seems slow and crippled. Is there a optimal user platform?

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 27 2015 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

After your tenth post you won't need approval. It's to help fight the chinese spammers.

Some people have issues with posting on thier end because of thier browser. Maybe someone computer savvy can chime in .

View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: March 28 2015 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

I really like how you made the grip.

It seems like you are novice in building, but nowhere near novice in using tools, which is a great thing.

That could be seen on your first build, which is partly bastardised, but it does not looks like crap, like 80% of similar assembly builds.
View Zuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Zuzzy

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: March 28 2015 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

I agree, that grip does look great. As does the build you presented at the start!

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 28 2015 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

vintagemx0 wrote:
I dunno guys. This forum only works 1/3 of the time for me. It hangs, kicks me out, refuses uploads.... I don't know if I can chronicle my build here. I doubt that this will post....

We don't have an optimum provider, but the body of knowledge here is considerable. It takes patience to post here, but you'll find your patience is rewarded. Many of us post our pictures elsewhere, and then just post links, rather than the smaller pictures we can upload. PDFs we tend to upload here, so other folks can download them.

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 29 2015 at 1:25am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I'm a total novice at weapons building for sure, but fairly handy with a welder and angle grinder.

Thanks for messages about connecting here. Even as a lurker, I noticed this site was very slow to load. Probably partly to blame on my end too...I'll heed the advice here and just be patient with it.

I'm nearly finished with the magwell. I'll need to spend another afternoon trying to sculpt a decent finish on it. I wasn't going to bother with ribs, but then thought "why not?" A very crude upper/lower die was made from 16 ga and the shank of a 1/8 drill bit was pressed into it. Not real nice, but I can hand massage them with some sandpaper and they'll look OK. Over-all not 100% pleased, but with the hours I just spent, I'm gonna run with it.

Here's some pics:

After I finish making love to the magwell, I'm going to start on the receiver. For that I plan to fold some sheet and weld it to a half-tube that the main tube will fit into. Sorta like a real MP, but no sub-frame with bakelite finish cover - mine will be a finished steel subframe only.

-Ken

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 30 2015 at 12:04am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Ribs? We have an artist on our hands. Yaybacon to the courtesy phone...

Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:00pm | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

Ribs making method is really inspiring and innovative - stuff badly lacking these days on this, unfortunately, quality activity and posters declining forum, that was once premier place for all builders.

The magwell is going to be fixed on the receiver (weld), or somehow removable?
View Zuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Zuzzy

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 30 2015 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

That's sad that activity has declined. Perhaps with the economy changing boys will start making toys again..

As a newb with no mill, I know that the general over-all quality of this build will be lacking, so I think it is important to pay attention to the little details in order to make it more interesting-things like ribs and lines... It will then be at least (hopefully) interesting and a good facsimile of what inspired it to begin with. Not to mention, it's just plain fun to build and think about how you're going to go about the next step. I guess everyone here already understands that well.

I ordered a chambered barrel blank. I do have a HF mini lathe, and I plan to turn it down, along with a trunnion. The magwell fits very snugly on the tube, so I think I will just cross-drill and pin. If that is inadequate, I could always plug weld it.

Thanks,
-Ken

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: March 31 2015 at 5:14am | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

I love the magwell it's an inspired bit of work, this looks like being a real nice build I'm looking forwards to seeing it progress.

The grip works really well with the sling mount built into it, very nice
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: March 31 2015 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

I know people who would buy stripped magazine wells from you if you decided to make a batch...

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: April 02 2015 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

If I actually owned an MP40, I'd consider attempting to build parts that I could sell. I doubt anything I could produce in my garage without care fitting to the real deal would not be received very well. I ran into a similar situation on an unrelated forum where some guys wanted me to fab some quarter panels (ribbed ), but all of my measurements were estimates... Plus, the magwell on an MP40 does a lot work - It hold the mag, houses the mag release, houses and supports the ejector, and maintains proper alignment of the feed lips to the bolt and breech. All this and it needs to "simply" slide over the tube and do it all correctly. I would have a hard time fabbing more than one of those.

I've been spending a little more time on the planning and have a new sketch:

I decided on a final shape for the lower receiver. Since this is not going to be an SBR and not have a folding stock, the forward grip area where the stock butt would rest looked really plain, so I'm going to add some ribs there as well. I think I have a good plan for the FCG using a simple long teeter-totter style transfer lever. Still thinking about ease of tear-down at the moment.

-Ken

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version