Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 35 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

MP40 Inspired Build
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 18 2015 at 9:24pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Garsh ops: Thanks for the props fellas. I don't know about the quality of my craftsmanship, but I am pleased with how it is turning out so far. Far more impressive builds on this forum!

Sten mags - That's what I already had on hand.

Drawings - No, I probably won't prepare any plans, but if you have a specific question do ask and I will happily answer/provide dimensions/possibly a drawing or two..

The quality of the people on this forum is very refreshing - So friendly and willing to help all of the time.

Thanks again guys - It makes me feel good to see others appreciate what I seem to be spending a good deal of time on. ops:
-Ken
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 24 2015 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I got started on the bolt assembly for this build. I have to give kudos to Blurrededge, as I am using an idea he posted an idea for a   Modular Bolt. I basically executed his brilliant idea, and it proved to be pretty easy to do.

I mentioned early in this thread that I was going to use an AK74 bolt since the 9mm casing is rumored to fit nicely. I ended up buying an AKM (7.62) one due to cost, and therefor had to weld and lathe. So I took a perfectly good AK bolt and blobbed on some weld with some things in mind:

1) The retaining pin for the extractor needs to be preserved
2) The retaining pin for the firing pin can go away
3) The land for the casing needs to hold the 9mm case nicely

So, I began with just some weld, closing only one of the holes for the extractor pin so I could pilot a drill bit back through to re-expose and keep the original alignment.

Then I welded the other side and passed a bit through the other way. Ths worked well, but I did hit a newly-formed piece of alloy in there that was very hard and stubborn, but with diamond bits and patience, the Dremel tool saved the day. Then I turned and dressed, added more weld, and turned and dressed again..

Now that the lathing on the bolt is done, the length can be trimmed-down:

The bolt carrier was fairly simple. I bored-out the mating profile with drill bits and finished on the lathe:

Next, I mated the two pieces together and held firmly in the drill press and drilled a hole for cross-pin retention.

Lastly, here are some photos of the finished pieces and assembly:

I have some other things to do this holiday weekend, but I do hope to spend some more time on this build. Next, I'll be "machining" the clearances in the bolt for the mag lips and ejector, then start the whole feeding/ejection tweaking process. Means I'll need to start thinking about incorporating the barrel soon as well then!

Thank you Blurrededge for supplying this excellent Idea to the forum - it looks very promising thus far.

-Ken
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 24 2015 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Looks beautiful.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: May 24 2015 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

Wow, I can't believe you found and used that. I had even forgotten about it. To be honest, if I were going to use a modular bolt head idea for different size rims, I would probably make some changes, knowing what I know now. But atleast you executed the theory.

One thing I would advise is annealing the bolt head before you try to use it. I have seen akm bolts that were reduced to fit 9mm crack because the welding hardened the steel, and it became brittle. Easiest way lessen the chance, is to anneal the entire bolt head, and then reharden it uniformly. It doesn't need to be as hard as a suomi bolt, but harder than mild steel will make it last longer. I would wait to reharden until all the machining is done (like the cut outs for the feed lips and extractor) and you know that it functions reliably (all fine tuning is done).

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 27 2015 at 8:18pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Well, it looks like I can no longer upload photos. Try as I might all I get is:

aspSmartUpload.File error '80040460'

Unable to save file (Error 1120)

/forum/functions/functions_upload.asp, line 350

So, I'll try to keep some photos in mind as I go along.

Anyway, I cut slots in my bolt with abrasives and it turned-out pretty nice. 'Still need to massage a little, but progressing nicely.

-Ken

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 28 2015 at 2:00am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

If the pics are too large, they won't upload.  And sometimes our server just needs more coffee.  Try again later.

vegas

Private
Private

Posted: May 28 2015 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote vegas

Absolutelty stunning. You can marry my sister.
View vegas's Profile Search for other posts by vegas

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: May 29 2015 at 1:29am | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

Download Powertoys image resizer for windows, it's a really easy program to resize pictures with.
Just right click on the picture then click on resize pictures then you can resize to small, medium, or large or custom.

You can either resize the original picture or make a resized copy of it.
Very nice looking work on the bolt and carrier
How are you cutting the feed profile on the underside of the bolt?
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 29 2015 at 1:53am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

UKBiker wrote:
Download Powertoys image resizer for windows, it's a really easy program to resize pictures with.
Just right click on the picture then click on resize pictures then you can resize to small, medium, or large or custom.

You can either resize the original picture or make a resized copy of it.

Ha!  Look @ how far you've come!

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: May 29 2015 at 2:03am | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

You wouldn't be saying that if you had been with me on Sunday evening and Monday when we opened the new bike shop. I had to call a computer engineer out on a bank holiday as my Dynojet dyno wouldn't work.

We couldn't get the thing going, and after speaking with Dynojet on Tuesday I was sending the stack back for repair, when I realised I had plugged the computer lead into the wrong port on the thing, once I corrected the mistake it works fine.

I was pulling my hair out at the launch event.

As I have said many times before if I can't Whack it, Wiggle it, or Weld it, then I'm usually screwed. Me and computers have a great reationship so long as they behave, and I don't have to take a large hammer to them

The powertoys thing is brilliant even a total retard like myself can use it

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 29 2015 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I don't think it is a file size issue. I just tried uploading one that only 46 KB in size....no dice.

Have any of you uploaded photos in the last couple of days?

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 29 2015 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

No, b/c I either throw them on my website on in Photobucket.  Just tried it:

Quote:
  aspSmartUpload.File error '80040460'

Unable to save file (Error 1120)

/forum/functions/functions_upload.asp, line 350

Guess we need Weaponeer to reboot the server.

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 31 2015 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I still can't upload photos, but I had a pretty good push yesterday. Last weekend the plastic transmission gears in my mini lathe sheared, so I ordered a replacement metal set. I had already turned down the breech end of the barrel, so I pressed it into the trunnion and drilled for the cross pin. I'm concealing the cross pin beneath the front sling ring which is secured by the faux barrel nut, so that worked out pretty slick.

Next, i marked the trunnion at 6 o'clock relative to the barrel breech with a small visible punch mark. Then I pressed the barrel back out and pressed the trunnion into to receiver tube noting the 6 o'clock position. Then I drilled a series of staggered holes through the receiver and into the trunnion and plug welded.

I meant to cross-pin the mag well to the tube, but was having a lot of trouble and decided to drill and plug weld at three quadrants of both bands. Next, I sanded the plug welds down and blended every thing. It turned out real nice.

I also fabricated the little tubes for the telescopic recoil spring, but cannot finish those until the lathe is up and going again. Lastly, I cut the slot for the charging handle. Today, I want to look at working on the sights or grip panels, but we'll see how far I get (wife may have other plans...)

-Ken

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 31 2015 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Here are some photos of the progress on the bolt. The cuts were made by a progression of abrasive tools. I still need to fine tune, will wait until the barrel is in.

-Ken

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 31 2015 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Thanks for being patient w/ our little webserver.  It's a beautiful build.

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: May 31 2015 at 10:29pm | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

THAT is some damn fine work with the tools that you have... I don't know if any attempt without a mill that I could make would turn out that good. Although I am getting more patient as I get older.

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 31 2015 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Well, thank you gentlemen. I have been using a lot of hand tools (files, grinders, cut-off wheels, etc), and for the first time in my life I got the WORST cramp in my hand. I like making stuff "old school". When this project is done, I'll take a photo of it on top of another project I did a while back - another project made with crude tools that will fit-in with the MP40 nicely.

The photos below belong to yesterday's report. I hope to get the barrel going in the evenings this week, but we'll see...

-Ken

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: June 01 2015 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

The threads on your front trunnion look a lot like the ones my lathe cuts when I forget to back the tool out after a pass... but as long as they hold the nut on, that's all that matters.
Speaking of the nut, I was recently asked by someone which way the MP-40's barrel nuts had the flats oriented (the person assumed the Germans were anal enough to make sure they were all the same). After looking at a bunch of original photo's, it appears that they were either horizontal or vertical, depending... as long as they were either one or the other, and Nothing in Between. I also never noticed that some nuts had only 2 flats.
Anyway, what does that body weigh at this point?

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: June 01 2015 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

WOW!

That bolt is some seriously impressive work there Ken, I am gobsmacked at your proficiency with only basic hand tools.
It looks fantastic, the whole build is magnificent you have done a cracking job.
I can't wait to see the other project you have just teased us with mention of

It just goes to show what is possible with care and patience and some amazing skills.

I can't wait to see it finished, have you decided on the type of finish you are going to go with?

lutylover

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: June 01 2015 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote lutylover

How did you cut/grind/turn the cartridge recess? Awesome work btw, thanks for sharing!
View lutylover's Profile Search for other posts by lutylover

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version