Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 37 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 38

We have 1 member(s), 7 spiders, 37 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
backbencher

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (130):
backbencher, Davidliz, Apteekissa Suomi, Danmarks online apot, AngelaSax, Farmakeia Greece Onl, bikergunnut, Michaeltom, unairabas, LanceS4803, dcorb, ojofniwza, ryche, azcaptnemo, Lutyman70, Robertautox, edabugewiy, kapiguqoqda, ukaofufo, SarahPaw, dinaph18, ezuohavpiz, ulitaqeawuda, willieiq18, stortwebapotek life, marinaHar, Paraquat, BrianSet, Bhrsianroode, shellycr18, yeseniaiz60, myralj3, Sergiojonia, SusanDat, catherineiu69, eddievk2, Alinkaclu, AlbertAlove, nathanielad16, Kathyder, amieze1, Deutschland Apotheke, stort-web-apotek, rolandnf60, amyqs4, jetloco, Richard/SIA, Gr Farmakeia, geraldinesa18, madelineow16, ronaldii18, Alinkabvv, RB20Fast, jaimezp60, CurtisVV, byronpw4, mmspurg, charlesbd4, VbsfynPainna, Mjolnir1317, myrarj11, flyman, Samuel065, junkcollector, milagrosif16, m1a76251, zzorga, Nick_Bailey, freddiett18, magdalenacz2, shortfal, rickyeg4, kayetg11, RobertAgomB, corapr1, UnrebbcBladia, Josephtox, ammojoe, williehz4, Ghoulardi, feleciahn4, susannapj2, FarimfQuomy, bbrown, susiefd3, louisgz11, JeffreyAroff, marquitazd69, Zuzzy, tammikc11, lynnepq11, Msnbttomins, jamesde60, michelleux18, LastChanceArms, frankbj4, elizabethfe18, Arereehl, elisabethgp11, elaineyo4, Alisa93saupt, lorenaqk16, jayxw2, annnx2, latashaff16, goldieeh16, rodneygt3, jesusgi3, Darrellneree, bertiewt69, tashalr16, verayk69, sorry0svet, Frankmes, lorabx4, sheliaxb69, gracedd69, Margiealtes, jonas16, maricelact1, TaannosOrall, geraldineqw60, martinrk1, linapc2, faydq2, josefayg16, Tanner Frisby, stanleytn60, alexanderlw60, josephineiq18

MP40 Inspired Build
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: June 07 2015 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

I think hes got a good point there.

Handw**king the bolt is crappy and uneven.

It goes without saying that even in the white (no finish yet), this build looks stunning.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Zuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Zuzzy

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: June 11 2015 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

Got that recoil spring assembly done yet?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: June 12 2015 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

No, I haven't reached any conclusions yet with the recoil. I did purchase a large diameter spring and threw it in there. Interestingly, it is yielding the same results - All but the last round seem to feed OK.

I have a friend from Tuscon visiting this weekend and we're driving to Salem Oregon to visit a military vehicle function that should be very interesting. And then I have to travel to Maine the week after for a week or more. Then, between work picking up and summer family fun... Well - I hope to be back on this project soon, but there is going to be some series of interruptions in the coming weeks.

The vehicle show in Salem will be a welcome side note to me, and may lead-in to my teasing about "prior projects" I mentioned earlier in my postings.

Anyway, I'll report some more progress soon.

-Ken

OldCoot

1LT
1LT

Posted: June 14 2015 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote OldCoot

Zuzzy wrote:
I think hes got a good point there.<br><br>Handw**king the bolt is crappy and uneven.<br><br><br>It goes without saying that even in the white (no finish yet), this build looks stunning.<br><div style="display: none; visibility: ; opacity: 0;" id="lb"><div style="display: none;" id="lbCenter"><div id="lbImage"><div style="display: none;" id="lbBottomContainer"><div id="lbBottom"><div id="lbCaption"><div id="lbNumber"><div style="clear: both;">

Stunning is a bit mild, don't ya think? Some of the prettiest work I've seen anywhere on a firearms build. The boy's got talent.
View OldCoot's Profile Search for other posts by OldCoot

Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: June 17 2015 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

Number of thread views speak for themselves.
View Zuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Zuzzy

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: July 05 2015 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I had a little time this weekend to work on my project. I fashioned an ejector from a 5/16" drill shank. It's inserted in the style of the original with a roll pin to retain it...

I also had to tweak the Tapco AK hammer to work on my build by adding some meat to the business surface. The hammer was striking the face of the bolt a little low leaving the face of the hammer resting below the firing pin and at a notable angle. This was good, because I also need the extra "meat" to ensure that the disconector would engage. The hammer now strikes squarely and the disconector engages well.

I also spent some time polishing some of the trigger and FCG parts. Next, I need to fashion the firing pin arrangement and finalize the recoil spring assembly.

-Ken

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: July 06 2015 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

I'm curious if all the polishing the hammer and FCG etc smoothed the trigger out at all?

I had a WASR that used to feel like the trigger was slapping back into position and it would jackhammer my finger. Ever since then I haven't associated AK triggers with being smooth and/or crisp.
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

KernelKrink

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: July 06 2015 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote KernelKrink

Paraquat wrote:
I'm curious if all the polishing the hammer and FCG etc smoothed the trigger out at all?

I had a WASR that used to feel like the trigger was slapping back into position and it would jackhammer my finger. Ever since then I haven't associated AK triggers with being smooth and/or crisp.

The disconector design on some of the AK trigger designs is too long in the back. When the hammer cams the disconnector back during cycling the disconnector bottoms out against the trigger. The hammer then forces the whole trigger assembly to pivot forward to allow enough disconnector travel for the hammer to snap under it. That stings your finger. The cure is to grind a bit off the rear tail of the disconnector to allow more travel.

View KernelKrink's Profile Search for other posts by KernelKrink

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: July 06 2015 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

X2 on the trigger slap causes. You just need to file down the bottom of the disconnector in the area where the spring comes out. Make sure you are getting good disconnector engagement with the hammer though, else you will trade-in trigger slap for hammer-follow.

I can't detect any gross interference on my build yet that would produce trigger-slap, but until I fire live rounds...?? I think the long transfer bar on my build my dampen any slap that may be there. I have a Romanian 1964 vintage AK that had terrible slap when I first built it. I didn't understand at the the time what was causing it, so I replaced the Arsenal FCG with a Tapco one and it seemed better, but there is still a little there. You just reminded me that I need to work on that one.

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: July 14 2015 at 1:10am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Before working on the recoil spring assembly, decided to work on the firing pin. The AK firing pin was about 1/2" too short, so after wondering what to do about that, I decided to make the firing pin very short and use a plunger to transmit the hammer blow to the firing pin. (Or, a two-piece firing pin, if you will...)

Material was added by weld/grind to the the back-end of the firing pin to shoulder the firing pin spring. Similarly, material was added to the plunger with weld/grind technique, and these two high mass ends contact each other.

The plunger is made from the shaft of an old torx driver tool. Pretty hard high carbon rod. I'll need to make another one, as I ran out of mig gas and the build-up I put on the end looks like Swiss cheese.

Next, I'll work on the recoil spring, then fix a crack I made (separated weld) in the mag well after beating a pin in and out several times while fitting the extractor. Then, I'll work on the sights and work some more on the feed ramp. I can feel how close the time is coming for me to go out and test-fire. Should be fun.

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: July 16 2015 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I should have listened to you guys... The telescopic recoil assembly proved to be too problematic. You lose a lot of length with a closed-bolt and hammer arrangement compared to the original closed bolt / slam-fire arrangement.

I added a tube to the bolt to serve as clearance for the hammer. I am currently looking at using a tube spacer and spring. Seems to work fine.

Dry, it did feel like it had random binding. Light oiling helped, but soon the binding would return. I rubbed on some light grease and it feels real good and smooth.

Question: Is there a general rule of thumb when it comes to lubricating a tube-based weapon? Am I good to run light grease?

I'm about ready to test-fire, but we're in a drought and I don't think I can just drive out into the boonies until it rains again

-Ken

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: August 30 2015 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

After a long pause, I had time this weekend to work on my project. I had a bunch of small things to do, but "small" is a relative term. These things were little chores, but the added detail is really spruced her up.

Here's a pic of what it looks like right now:

I fabbed-up the front sling loop and settled on a way to hold it in place using a couple of pins:

I completed the front sight and fabbed a rear sight with windage adjustment:

Here's; a couple of pics that show the over-all with the added details:

Well, it's pretty much ready to take out and test-shoot. I don't know how long I'll need to wait until the wild fire risk passes, but a few more rains and I should be be good to go. Between now and then, I'll massage the scratches and dings. After test-shooting, and after any necessary tweaks, then the long process of tearing-down and rust bluing.

-Ken

vegas

Private
Private

Posted: August 30 2015 at 8:48pm | IP Logged Quote vegas

Beautiful.
since the lull in posts,I was worried you might have got a visit.

i couldnt wait for the fire danger to pass before firing it.
I would fire that standing in a pool of gasoline.

its just outstanding
View vegas's Profile Search for other posts by vegas

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: August 30 2015 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

Nicely Done. Did you ever get that magazine issue sorted out yet?

trickyrick

CSM
CSM

Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:02pm | IP Logged Quote trickyrick

don't know how i missed this but am really glad i found it. beautiful work on both pieces!
Agree x 1
View trickyrick's Profile Search for other posts by trickyrick

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: September 05 2015 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I'm hoping to go out at the end of this weekend to test fire this thing. Since I'm going to be probably messing around with tweaks as I test-shoot, tweak, shoot..., I went ahead and gave it a quick cold blue. I thought I'd post post a pic of it with some color on it...

@ Blurrededge - No, I haven't tried cycling any live (real) rounds through it yet. I was tempted, but I didn't want my name mentioned in the evening news if my gun fired because I was feeding it live rounds in my house... So, I hopefully will learn more about the true degree of what probably will still be a problem, but with all angles looked at. (wish me luck)

-Ken

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: September 05 2015 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

That looks amazing, it's come out really well in the blue. I can't wait to hear how it shoots.
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

OldCoot

1LT
1LT

Posted: September 06 2015 at 6:46pm | IP Logged Quote OldCoot

Waiting with bated breath on the range report...
View OldCoot's Profile Search for other posts by OldCoot

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 06 2015 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

That looks very nice.
  Stats: Online
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: September 07 2015 at 2:10pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

R A N G E    R E P O R T

So, I took it out today and did have some issues, but pull trigger did equal bang..

I started by loading a single round and an empty mag. Fired once.

Observations:
1) Fired OK - Finger pull was not too great.
2) Brass fell to my feet.
3) Brass showed an area of high wear on rim.
4) Firing pin penetrated deep, but did not appear to be anywhere near puncturing.

Next, I place 3 rounds in a mag, charged and fired.
1) Again, round ejected at my feet.
2) Next round failed to eject and stove-piped.

3) After clearing spent case, I pushed the next round (somewhat weakly) forward and fired
4) The third round made a weird noise and smoke was coming from receiver. This round failed to eject as well, and upon clearing I found that the shell had ruptured.

Perhaps I should not have, but I continued to fire this weapon. All subsequent rounds failed to eject - either stove piping or not even leaving the bolt. I ended-up breech loading and then placing an empty mag back in to offer some protection if another shell rupture were to occur, which it did not.

After about 30 rounds, the FCG began to fail to reset. Upon investigation, I found the take-down tang was tearing from the tube and this allowed the fron of the lower receiver to swing out slightly from the tube. In this condition, the FCG could not grab the hammer.

A closer look at the spent rounds back home revealed that there is some nasty interference between the bolt face and the rim of the rounds. I should be able to alleviate this with some gentle rounding of the sharp edge on the bolt face.

So, obviously I am a bit concerned about the ruptured shell. I have a feeling that the bolt was not fully closed when this occurred, but not 100% certain. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Other than all that, it was a pleasure to shoot. Not much recoild and it just felt "good". I could imagine once I get some issues sorted-out, $200 tax that would allow me to add a folding stock may be well worth it.

EDIT - I failed to mention that the ejector is definitely too short and needs to be extended upward about 1/32".

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version