Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 47 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 47

We have 0 member(s), 6 spiders, 47 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (66):

M3 Grease Gun Build
Weaponeer Forums : M3/M3A1 Grease Gun

Posted in M3/M3A1 Grease Gun
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  HARTSGUNS

Private
Private

Posted: March 18 2015 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote HARTSGUNS

Has any one on here built an M3? I have a parts kit I am looking to build. It will be a full auto post 86 dealer sample, as i am licensed to do so. any help or info would be great. looking for receiver stampings, or receiver scraps.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Pvozzo

Private
Private

Posted: March 22 2016 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote Pvozzo

Similar question - has anyone built an M3A1 parts kit into a legal, semi-auto firing from a closed bolt?   thought: would the Indianapolis Ordnance 9mm MP40 semi-auto bolt be convertible for a tube welded up to a grease gun parts kit and firing .45 ACP ?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Pvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by Pvozzo

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 23 2016 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Yes, they have been built. A 9x19mm MP40 bolt might be too light for the .45" ACP.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: March 24 2016 at 1:52am | IP Logged Quote justin22885

starting with a tube and then welding on your magazine and trigger housing is probably the best, and maybe even the only way to go at this point, im unaware of anything selling complete stampings for it which i believe included all these features in two stamped halves welded together
View justin22885's Profile Search for other posts by justin22885

Pvozzo

Private
Private

Posted: March 24 2016 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote Pvozzo

Backbencher - yes, I have considered that the 9mm bolt might be too light - I wonder how I might add mass?

Justin22885 - agreed that no one is ever going to make stampings again - a tube is the apparent solution. I'm considering two tubes - A FIRST for the exterior housing, and a SECOND as something like an Indianapolis Ordnance tube with one of their 9mm semi-auto bolts all mounted inside the first tube (I've checked and it fits). They also sell magazine adapters for the Sten magazine to fit into a .45 mag housing, as well as a 9mm barrel for the M3A1.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 24 2016 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Pvozzo wrote:
Backbencher - yes, I have considered that the 9mm bolt might be too light - I wonder how I might add mass?

Drill holes, pour in molten lead?

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: March 24 2016 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

dont use lead... if you want to add weight, drill holes and use a press to press in tungsten bars.. you can get round bars of tungsten fairly cheap, drill a hole the appropriate size, press them in and it'll add more weight than lead would and isnt going to soften from heat

and pvozzo, if youre wanting to make a "pseudo" M3A1 build using non M3 parts, use the PPS-43 bolt and cut a 45acp bolt face

Pvozzo

Private
Private

Posted: March 24 2016 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote Pvozzo

yes - tungsten has roughly twice the mass as steel - - that would be a good idea

Pvozzo

Private
Private

Posted: March 24 2016 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote Pvozzo

Here is my project, as I see it right now - and I wish I could find someone who has done or understands what I want to do well enough to assist:

M3A1 parts kit project
-           ;Reconstruct the M3A1 receiver housing using a tube from Cold Steel Solutions
-           ;Remove (cut) from original:
o   Grip assembly
o   Barrel trunion
o   Magazine housing
-           ;Purchase replacement:
o   Sling loops
o   Ejection port cover hinge & spring
o   Stock brackets
o   Rear sight & insert
-           ;Re-attach above by welding to new tube (exterior housing)

Alternative one (.45 ACP):         & nbsp; 
-           ;Use an Indianapolis Ordnance receiver tune and 9mm, MP40 semi-auto bolt arrangement
-           ;enlarge the space in the face of the bolt that seats the cartridge to accept a .45 ACP cartridge
-           ;install the smaller receiver tube inside the M3A1 housing
-           ;modify the trigger and/or receiver tube for use
-           ;modify the magazine well to further extend up to new, smaller diameter receiver tube

Alternative two (9mm):
-           ;Use an Indianapolis Ordnance receiver tune and 9mm, MP40 semi-auto bolt arrangement
-           ;install the smaller receiver tube inside the M3A1 housing
-           ;modify the trigger and/or receiver tube for use
-           ;modify the magazine well to accept Sten mag’s, and further extend up to more narrow receiver tube
-           ;buy a 9mm M3A1 barrel from Indianapolis Ordnance

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: March 25 2016 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote justin22885

pvozzo, why not start your own thread then, instead of hijacking HARTSGUNS'?

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 25 2016 at 12:47am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Meh, OP hasn't posted in this thread for a year, run w/ it.

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: March 25 2016 at 1:02am | IP Logged Quote justin22885

aah, youre right, i just noticed that

sounds like pvozzo would just be better off building a franken-build sub gun from scratch.. considering almost every submachine gun of WWII was in many ways all fundamentally the same thing.. excluding a couple odd-balls here and there.. but the sten, grease gun, sterling, KP44, PPS-43, MP40, MP18 and about a dozen or two more are all based on many of the same design details from the MP18

Pvozzo

Private
Private

Posted: March 25 2016 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote Pvozzo

I appreciate the comments and advise - that is exactly what I am looking for - do tell me if using this forum is the wrong place to ask questions.

My own personal interest in such a gin is as a military collector who does want to fire it - but strictly as a legal, semi-auto that fires from a closed bolt.

So - I already have an M3A1 parts kit with a good grip, mag housing, and barrel trunion. It's been de-milled and is without its receiver housing. That is starting point and my objective.

Pete

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 25 2016 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Sounds like he is, but wants it to look like an M3A1, which continued in US service into the Gulf War for a few armored units.

IIRC, the M3A1 bolt was heavier than was strictly required for blowback operation, which kept the cyclic rate low.

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: March 25 2016 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote justin22885

the muzzle climb of 45acp in such a compact weapon would have made it uncontrollable at the ~600rpm of most automatic weapons, so it makes sense to slow it down to 450... 45acp and x25 have similar bolt mass requirements and the PPS-43 has a cyclic rate of around 600, so adding some tungsten inserts into that bolt to increase its mass, or using a weighed buffer behind it should do the trick

for a semi automatic only though it doesnt really matter

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 30 2016 at 12:42am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

backbencher wrote:
Sounds like he is, but wants it to look like an M3A1, which continued in US service into the Gulf War for a few armored units.

IIRC, the M3A1 bolt was heavier than was strictly required for blowback operation, which kept the cyclic rate low.

My Unit had 2 M3A1's for the M88's.  as the Armorer in that unit for around a decade, I always insured that I fired every weapon we had, and that I signed for. The M3/M3A1 SMG had a  nice slow rate of fire, but not near as accurate as the M1928A1, and could be dangerous if you relied on the dust cover "safety" with a magazine in the weapon.

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 30 2016 at 1:15am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Random M3/M3A1 fact.

The "stock" also acted as a magazine loader, as well as a cleaning rod.

Plus, when fitted with a suppressor, it's one of the most silent SMG's.  the only real sound you hear is the sound of the bolt slamming forward.

1. You can purchase a number of new made M3/M3A1 parts, such as 45acp Barrel with Trunnion
  2. 9mm Barrel with Trunnion
  3. New M3/M3A1 Barrel w/o Trunnion
  4. made Trunnion for the M3 or M3A1 Grease Gun
  5. Guide Rod Retaining Plate (new)
  6. magazine adapter for unmodified 9mm sten magazine to be inserted into the magazine well.
  7. M3 GREASE GUN full auto bolt made in 9mm
  8. M3A1 GREASE GUN full auto bolt made in 9mm
  9. Grease Gun M3 M3A1 Extractor

http://indianapolisordnance.com/other.html

Cold Steel
SEEMLESS TUBING STEEL WITH THE CHARGING HANDLE SLOT CUT
http://www.coldsteelsolutionsincorporated.com/productinfo_v3 .aspx?productid=M3A1GGSTS

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/USMilitary-33541/ MachineGuns-42384/M3GreaseGun-37216.htm

http://www.ima-usa.com/u-s-m3-m3a1-grease-gun-elite-forces-c arry-bag.html

Now, I have NOT reviewed the ColdSteel M3 Receiver tube, so i cannot make any statements as of quality.  BUT, I would steer Clear From Prexis made products. I would use a
VALKYRIE ARMS receiver or blank if (you could find one), over them. and that's saying a LOT.

Now normally I would suggest a receiver product for the M3 that's been used to build successful M3/M3A1's (semi or C2/SOT). and

VALKYRIE despite their bad reputation had the best looking M3 semi-auto. some worked, some reported to have a problem or two.

http://www.guns.com/2012/12/26/valkyrie-arms-m3a1-grease-gun /

http://smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=16 7

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

<< Prev Topic M3/M3A1 Grease Gun Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version