Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 44 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 45

We have 1 member(s), 6 spiders, 44 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
backbencher

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (66):

bb to .25 acp idea
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: September 01 2015 at 1:05am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Hey guys - With my other project nearing completion, I have been thinking about other things. I somewhat recently purchased a bb gun. One of those Umarex P.08 Lugers. I don't really need a BB gun, but after looking at these things on-line, I was pretty impressed at the apparent quality and detail and it looked pretty cool to check-out.

And it really is nicely made. It's die-cast and painted, but clean crisp on the details. It weighs a pretty substantial amount too. You can go look around on the internet for reviews, but I'll sum up my impression of the quality by just saying I only dislike the cheap feeling plastic grip panels. Another cool thing about it is they have preserved the over-all design of the original weapon as much as possible. It field strips just like the real deal...

Actually, inside the only two really big differences are how the 1) the sear movement is extended to the rear of the receiver where it releases 2) a hammer instead of a striker like on the real weapon.

Below all of the essentials are pulled-out. The barrel, toggle assembly with bolt, and recoil spring.

So any way, I was looking at this thing and thinking that it just might be possible to covert it to .22LR. One would have to replace the barrel, fabricate a bolt, beef up the toggle spring, fab an ejector and extractor.

The bolt has a large piece of plastic/aluminum, cylindrical inshape that can be removed from the metal body. A steel bolt could be fabricated and pressed into the bolt housing.

The little hammer that this model uses could be used to transfer punch to the firing pin.

Lastly, the rear end of this thing has a large cast piece that is pretty beefy that would help protect the rear end from recoil blows. - Probably enough space in their for a little buffer pad as well.

So, there t is. I know some of you may just be shaking your head "Another A-Clown wanting to make a "real" gun from a BB gun..." or something like that and I don't blame you. I started looking for similar projects and came across a lot of guys (mostly really young guys) with similar ambitions, but not a clue what they were doing. I'm no gunsmith by any means, but I think if this model had a "real" barrel, steel bolt, and was fortified (I don't think this beefy model needs much), well, I think it would work and would be a damn good little plinker.

So.... Whatcha Think?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 01 2015 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Is the barrel cast with the slide?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: September 01 2015 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

No, it is separate. It fits in snugly and is retained with allen screws. I have one of those GSG AK47 .22 which is largely die cast with steel parts here and there and a proper barrel and I have to say, this Luger has similar potential.

-Ken

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: September 01 2015 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

Interesting little project, I wonder if the Ruger .22LR pistol mags will adapt to work in there? I seem to think the Ruger pistol copied the grip angle from the Luger which is the first major hurdle to clear.

I have seen a 1911 airsoft BB converted to .22LR using a .22LR conversion kit which dropped straight on with minimal effort required, so this looks very promising indeed.

It would be a nice stablemate to your MP40 build as well.

That would just leave you to build an MP42 from an old bicycle pump and some sticky backed plastic LOL
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: September 01 2015 at 2:24pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

.25" ACP might be easier ammo to source.   
  Stats: Online
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: September 02 2015 at 11:44pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I actually like the idea of .25 acp. It might even be easier than rim fire to fab the bolt.

jewu2

Private
Private

Posted: March 11 2016 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote jewu2

id like to see this
View jewu2's Profile Search for other posts by jewu2

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version