Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 50 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 52

We have 2 member(s), 5 spiders, 50 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
backbencher, Skiller

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (66):

mini winchester1887
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 06 2015 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Hate posting a topic months before I actually start machining parts, but is 45acp one of the few chambers you could ream using a drill bit. or even better an adjustable boring head? the cases seem large enough for the bore and pretty straight, 0.472 at the back and 0.468 at the front I'm thinking of building a mini 45acp winchester 1887 and much too cheap to buy a chambered uzi,thompson,ar15 barrel for $100-$170 when I could do a 25" blank for around $50 long enough to make 3 pistols or one pistol and one rifle with

haven't actually drawn anything up yet, it might not even scale down correctly and still fit my hand.  Eitherway, I want to end up building something to fit all the boxes of 45acp I bought 2 years ago thinking I would buy a 45acp 1911. then ended up getting a 10mm because the 45 was out of stock

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View yaybacon's Profile Search for other posts by yaybacon

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 06 2015 at 5:20pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

I apologize, but I couldn't wait for an answer so I went and drilled a 15/32 hole into a piece of scrap to get a feel of how big a difference the size is. (and because I suspect my lathe spindle bearings are going out and everything drills oversized, so wanted to see how accurate the hole would be) pretty sure after polishing it will be a perfect fit.  Why could I find no previous information on this reaming 45acp with a regular 15/32 drill in searching the google :/

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 06 2015 at 6:04pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Spin it backwards on the lathe and put a pilot on the bit with a carbide tool. An off center chamber would suck .
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 06 2015 at 6:10pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

It is not that bad, just everything I cut, no matter how sharp I get the bits has little lines and spirals in it that take forever to file out. but when i take the same exact bit and clamp it in the mill vice, turning the work in the mill spindle, it comes out perfectly smooth :/ heard some lathes have adjustments for bearing snugness, but can't find evidence mine has that.  You should see what it does when I turn threads. comes out closer to a saw than a nut... made the mistake a few times of putting a finger in there to try to wipe away chips (motor off), to only pull it out bloody
Funny x 1

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: September 06 2015 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

I have no idea how many times it takes with a magnifying glass and a razor blade before it sinks in " I shouldn't touch that"
Agree x 1
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 06 2015 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

might be getting ahead of myself trying to machine this.  still blows my mind that the bolt/lever/lock are all one piece and don't take your fingers with them as it blows open.. went as far as drawing up a non-scale one and running a physics simulation on it to be sure.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: September 06 2015 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

You want something to simulate, draw up a Spencer shotgun. Everything depends on the extractor.
  Stats: Online
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 07 2015 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Found a perfectly fitting magazine tube.  45acp inside of this 1/2" pvc pipe has almost no play, but slides down free of friction and can be firmly pressed into 1/2" steel conduit. And the best part is we have nearly 100feet of each laying around the property.  Trying to keep inside of my goal of paying for nothing but ammo and barrels.

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: September 08 2015 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

Subscribed. I love the idea.
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 08 2015 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

This algodoo physics sim is making me want to uninstall it, with how much parts bounce randomly until the parts just fly off into the distance.   Parts move while you're drawing on them for no explainable reason and cause you to have to disconnect everything in your drawing, move them back to where they belong, and reassemble them.

On the plus side, it led me to realize why browning evolved the bottom extractor into dual side ones between his patent drawings and final production.  If the extractor is in the bottom center gets caught on the primer of all places. Imagine if I had missed that and started machining from the patents also it took me forever to notice the 2 screws on either side of the receiver are actually offset.. half the pictures in google images are mirrored and I magically only downloaded pictures of the right side, so I never noticed.

I think the bolt has something like 8 cam surfaces machined into different parts of it, all have to be timed correctly and I want to make sure I still have finger room for reloading

~redid it using a spring to always push the elevator up instead of cams. Won't consider the feed mechanism a success until it works while spinning upside down and sideways~

-edit-

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: September 09 2015 at 2:10am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Nicely drawn.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 09 2015 at 2:39am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

might need your help figuring out the stock when it comes time to add the lego's later.. this freaking program, the longer you work on a single drawing the more bugs multiply.. I almost need to start over from scratch every time I run a simulation... anyways I was worried the elevator was getting too close to the bottom of the receiver so I was exploring ways to shorten it. could probably make that catch out of a piece of music wire that doubles as its own spring... also it can be a lot closer to the magazine tube, just the thing keeps walking on me in the program by the time I took a screenshot...... wonder if a slide could be attached to it, to adjust for different bullet lengths

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: September 09 2015 at 3:54am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

What, so you could shoot .45" GAP interchangeably?   

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: September 09 2015 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

The pictures aren't loading.
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 10 2015 at 2:31am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

okay I apologize for going in circles but was dumb enough to not notice in my simulation the carrier rises slower than it would in real life with a spring raising the elevator because the sim puts too much emphasis on acceleration of mass, so it is back to using a cam to raise the elevator, but adding a leaf spring latch to the end of the magazine. And I re-added the bottom extractor after moving from 2d to 3d.  If one places claws on the elevator so the shell doesn't fall out while flip-cocking the bullet needs the extra length gained by the extractor to be pushed past the claws before the elevator drops, or else it is dragged along with it.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 16 2015 at 5:29am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

I tried to bend a few springs for it on the lathe around a arbor in the center but because of the length they kept coming out horribly ugly and this one is actually triangular.  Had to change tactics and bend them from the outside instead of the inside..  Really surprised myself how fast I assembled stuff laying around into a working wire form without really any thought, plan or machining. I need to build a permanent one of these, adjusting by hammer was annoying to say the least.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: September 20 2015 at 12:58am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

i need to stop confusing "I want the grip to be about 1.5" wide like my garand", with "I want the flats to be 1.5" wide" when they are  3/8" off of center.. made the whole thing like 150% scale because of that.  Going to cut everything thinner later, and try to add lightening cuts in the side of the receiver to bring the weight down.. I think the actual 1887's had about 1/8 or 3/16 walls from eyeballing pictures. but I used 1/4 because it will be so much prettier (so heavy)

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: October 04 2015 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: October 05 2015 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Yessssss.....
Disagree x 1

Inkfideltattoo

E-3
E-3

Posted: October 19 2015 at 5:55pm | IP Logged Quote Inkfideltattoo

Oh man, following this closely
View Inkfideltattoo's Profile Search for other posts by Inkfideltattoo

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version