Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 49 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 49

We have 0 member(s), 8 spiders, 49 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (52):

mini winchester1887
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: December 12 2015 at 3:03am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Had to put this project aside for some time, but started back upon it, and decided to change the middle section to be 3/8 instead of 1/4 to add more finger room while loading. and make the whole build lighter

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View yaybacon's Profile Search for other posts by yaybacon

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: February 12 2016 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Some important things finally came in the mail 
Most importantly a brand new bandsaw that actually cuts the angles you set it to and a .45cal barrel for this project.  The .308 barrel was the cheapest I've ever seen on the internet at $105 instead of the usual $300~500 for an ar10 barrel.. so it'll go into my boltaction build I've been ignoring. the 9mm barrel liner is planned to be cut at 3" and to have a semiauto pistol built around it mildly in the shape of a ppk because simply buying a ppk is too easy.

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: February 12 2016 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Yay on the bandsaw. Got a drill press that would drill a buffer tube channel in an AR stock - or one piece stock/AR lower yet?   
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: February 12 2016 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

you've lost me.. I still have the mill in many of my pictures, I would use for those operations..? but otherwise there is something like 6 or 7 drill presses laying around the compound, one with an 8 head turret.

so tempted to endorse these things xD that $100 barrel keeps me up at night, I want to buy a giant pile of them for the future. never ever ever using the conventional style of bandsaw again, with the terrible rotating vice head, in place of the entire blade/head assembly rotating around the piece to change angles. and the cam lock vice can move from left or right of the blade and all over. I've never been so in love xD just hope it remains after I plug the thing in. (still have not test drove it.)

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: February 12 2016 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Ah, I hope you love it.

One of the problems in making AR rifle stocks out of wood is the very deep buffer tube channel. Most stock reproducers are not set up for it, and now that California dropped thumbhole stocks as a compliance part, thumbhole AR stocks disappeared from the US market.

The problem is they're the perfect thing to reinforce plastic AR lowers w/, which can be cast at home.

AR lowers can also be made of wood, and if the stock is integrated into the lower, can be made relatively strong. The buffer tube would have to be drilled from the front of the lower, however, requiring a very long tool travel even to drill a carbine buffer tube depth.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: February 12 2016 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Oh I didn't show anyone this tool I made.. ill go get a picture.  A friend suckered me into copying a cracked stock he had, and I had no way to drill the through hole for the bolt.  Pretty sure something similar would aid in drilling that hole for you.

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 12 2016 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

BB, never tried it but would a paddle bit wander too much?
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: February 13 2016 at 11:03am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Yay, very nice. Hope business is going well.

Biker, I don't know. I just know that OrionsHammer had that problem when he built his pine lower, and had to saw the stock off & use a conventional buffer tube, and commercial stock reproducers aren't set up to drill the buffer tube well.

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 14 2016 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

BB, now my curiosity is peeked. I wanna see if I can do it. What is the OD and length of a buffer tube? Got bored with my AR and sold it years ago.
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: February 14 2016 at 12:48pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

You only need to drill the ID and interior length. Can't get you dims right now, let me try tomorrow.   

You remember OrionsHammer's famous thread here, right?

I'd go w/ a carbine length tube - no real need for a rifle length. But I'd use something stronger than pine. And might want to consider steel reinforcement @ critical points.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: February 14 2016 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

I'm curious about the paddle bit as well, never really used one although we have a few sets laying around.  I have to say, Why is everyone fixated on the buffer tube being round? you could make a square one for the wooden lower using a band saw or just chisel/router any shape you want.

Probably a bad idea, but I bought a blank ppk to get a feeling for the dimensions and a Hipoint 9x19 magazine because it was the first one I found with a finger rest under $20.. but needs to be shortened.. I'll start a new thread when I actually start cutting metal.

Just cut out the lever today.  Now I am having the hardest time deciding between a 10" barrel with 6 rounds or a 16.5" with 8 rounds and a stock.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: February 14 2016 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

I cheated and set my lathe to an eyeballed~ 0.7° and bored the chamber, then lapped it with sandpaper.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: February 14 2016 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Beautiful, yay.

Haven't found exact internal buffer tube dimensions, biker, but have found some pics. I think the internal diameter is 1". Yay is correct - the tube inside the stock does not have to be round.

I'll try to stick a dowel down the tube of my CavArms (Sabre Defense) Mk 2 & get a good measurement to the front of the buffer tube boss.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: February 23 2016 at 4:14am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Notice my super complex, sophisticated, trademarked method of centering the firing pin on the primer.

Backbencher, I just realized I never showed weaponeer.net my progress on that guitar thing. I made some major changes from the last video I showed you.  Learned a variant of C+ to write a program for this microcontroller to direct servos to specific angles to get perfectly in tune 1/4,1/2,full note bends at different speeds, as required.  Last time I showed you, I believe it used pnuematics with several valves between the main valve and bellow to control speed, with only one travel distance, but this was difficult to maintain as any particle of dust could change keep the valves open and change the speeds, or variation in voltage from the 110v main, altitude.  Plus servo's greatly lowered the overall size and complexity.  Also, threw in palm mutes and pinchharmonics while I was inside the program anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgjVkjnvpJI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_eC8ET77Z4

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: February 23 2016 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Pretty cool, yay. And I see I forgot to measure the buffer tube on my CavArms.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: February 27 2016 at 12:06am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

Just opened a new package of silver solder and, will be the last time I use silver solder without reading the silver content.   the lever soldered flawlessly, instantly.  While the trunion from a day before was soldered so badly I gave up after hours of struggling to get it hotter and just arc welded over it.. same brand, just one was slightly cheaper and I didn't read the numbers.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: February 27 2016 at 2:52am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

more good news

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: February 27 2016 at 9:09am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Looks beautiful, yay. I really admire folks who can think in 3D-motion.

yaybacon

MSG
MSG

Posted: February 29 2016 at 3:53am | IP Logged Quote yaybacon

I made a silly simple little set of tools today... I've been wanting a little arm/compass thing that goes in the spindle to help me find where to center the work for odd curves with no physical center for literally months, but kept putting it off ... drew super complicated plans for them and everything then realized how much I was over thinking this.

boom.
. magnet + wire + glue.

I've been spinflipping this for literally hours, only stopped to keep working because it felt like I broke my nose when one went astray   It is extracting both hp and ball ammo perfectly from the magazine, on my first try woo~ and the friction from the springs makes everything stay where you leave it, making it a lot smoother than the simulations i was messing with.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: February 29 2016 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Awesome.

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version