Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 32 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 33

We have 1 member(s), 6 spiders, 32 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
dugin

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (64):

MP44 Inspired Build
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: November 21 2015 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

vintagemx0 wrote:
WOW   

That dude building that '45 in the link above has serious skills!

-ken

True, I undestood why when I saw his website that sells very good looking medieval armor reproductions,
so he clearly has much experience in working with sheetmetal.

Maybe you can replicate some of his methods when making the stg44 receiver parts.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Zuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Zuzzy

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: November 23 2015 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I hope to be trying some of that sheet metal origami soon. I've decided on 9x19 straight blow back using a a modified ppsh43 magazine. I'll be using a kp44 bolt and an AKM fire control group. I've ordered an airsoft buttstock and will be ordering wooden pistol grip panels. When I have received the buttstock, I'll study its attributes and settle on a receiver profile. The receiver is where I'll start with this one. I plan on pressing a trunnion into a tube with the inside fortitude of a magwell and then grafting that assemblage onto the remainder of the receiver. That's about as far as I can foresee any sequence.

-Ken
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: November 29 2015 at 8:21pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I hope everyone had a nice and enjoyable thanksgiving holiday!

I've begun thinking more about this project. I decided i would purchase an airsoft butt stock and take my chanCes. It's actually fairly nice. Here are some photos:

The peice that actually mounts to the receiver is cast pot-metal, although it is nicely done.

The other metal parts are steel, as evidenced by a magnet. All-in-all, it will work OK for my purposes. The diameter for the bolt channel is smaller than I was planning on, but fortunately the KP44 bolt I planned to use can be turned down accordingly.

I decided to use a PPS42 mag and will envelope it in a facade of thinn sheet that has ribs embossed. The length of the mag will be about 2 inches short because I want to access the floor plate of the PPS mag.

I hope to start on the mag soon so I can begin on the magwell and trunnion.

-Ken

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 20 2016 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Well, I decided that if I were going to go to the effort of pressing ribs for the magazine, I ought-as-well make the mags the correct size and shape. I was wondering how I could produce the arcs and maintain an accurate registration of the male and female dies. What I came up with is pretty simple given the tools at my disposal. I attached my Dremel extension accessory to a tool holder that arcs through the five different radii and used cut-off wheels to dig into 1/4" plate.

First, I made drawings of the magazine (based on some of those drawings from Russia someone made for all of the StG 44 parts) and then printed-out the pattern to full scale. Next, the paper layout was glued to a piece of 1/4l plate with a second 1/4" plate sandwiched and temporarily pinned together. Next, holes were drilled where indexing will occur and at the ends of the arcs (this was done to ensure consistent reference point between the two halves).

Here is a photo of the general layout. You can se pins at the right that allows the tool holder to be moved to a desired, pre-set radius.

After starting, I realized that the Dremel tool would quickly bottom-out on the plate as the abrasive wheel wore, so I modified the holding section to prevent this from hapening any longer...

And here is the tool in action. Just gentle moves back-and-forth letting the tool cut into the plate. I cut both sides of both plates this way to a depth of about 3/32 for each cut. This took a while, but the tool did all of the real work. I didn't take any photos of it, but for the female die, I stacked two of the little Dremel hard discs together and went back over the initial cuts. This resulted in grooves approximately 1/8" wide, which was perfect. I was able to center-align with the previous groove using the tools chuck.

For the male dies, I decided to just use the grooves as tactile guides and laid down some 1/16" rod is segments and butt-welded them together with enough gap to fuse into the plate as well. This means more work to come in the form of cleaning up with Dremel and adding tack-welds only to grind back down, but given my tooling, I just could not think of another approach.

So anyway, I just couldn't wait to try... Definitely need to do some sculpting on the male die, but I wanted to see if I had accurate registration of the dies and if it was feasible that my 12 ton press could do the job.

More work needed, but I think this shows promise....

So, the idea will be to make "containers" out of these pressings and fit the insides with a spring and follower from either a KP44 or a Sten mag. 'Haven't thought much further ahead on that yet... It may be some time before I post again because I have been very busy, but I will report as soon as I have some more progress that is note-worthy.

Have you hugged your Dremel lately? (I really like this tool)

-Ken
Agree x 2

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: February 20 2016 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Wow, dude. If you don't hide those pictures you're going to find yourself in the MP44 magazine business.

Those plates haven't existed for 70 years.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: February 21 2016 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

As always pure genius, if this build is half as good as your MP40 build it will be outstanding. I'm rather looking forwards to seeing this grow into a working firearm.

The magazine plates look really good, it just goes to show that where there's a will there's a way
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 09 2016 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

As always UKBiker, thanks for the kind words!

I have not done much, but the way I welded the rods onto my male die just isn't going to work. It would have taken a lot of time to try to manicure those weld zones so as to not leave unwanted blemishes on the stamped part. So, I tried a quick and dirty replacement of those rods, but this time instead of welding them on I glued them with JB weld. I wasn't too hopeful that it would hold-up to 12 tons of pressure, but so far, so good! Even if I have to re-glue before I am done, this is very simple.

Stamped piece:

'Been crazy busy at work and it's been hard to find time, but in my LONG commutes between home and work, I often think of this project, so in a sense, it is progressing. I hope to stamp out all the pieces soon. Im going to make enough for four mags.

Not much, but progress none the less!

-Ken

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 10 2016 at 12:36pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Given how trivial it is to stamp now that you've built the form, I suggest you stamp far more than 4. You could have a nice little side business w/ that form.

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 10 2016 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

You're right, the stamping is breezy easy. I'll always have the plates I suppose, but I doubt I'll ever try to make money with them as I'm reluctant to sell "gun parts". Anyway, the hard part now is going to be to make a functional magazine with stampings.

clkramer

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 12 2016 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote clkramer

Interesting build. I look forward to see it come together. I have found cad a good way to start any build project. Not that I have not started with a piece of paper and cardboard to design a one off. I have made a number of pieces like that. With cad I can make changes and add tolerances easily. If you have questions or if I can help in any other way please feed free to contact me. Chuck at gunlab.net 
View clkramer's Profile Search for other posts by clkramer

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 12 2016 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Thanks Chuck. I do drawings in CAD, mostly for mental exercise and developing flat layouts. Given my tooling, I'm just not able to hold very good tolerances without the need to hand-fit everything anyway.

I had previously admired some of that MP44 trunion work over on gunlab.net. Your work? Also, the detailed shots of the receiver pressings were very appreciated.

'Happen to know where to find a foregrip? That looks to me to be the most complicated wadding of steel on this whole project of mine.

-Ken

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: March 12 2016 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

I know the airsoft hand guards are stamped steel, you're already using the stock from one ;D see if anyone is selling one on ebay or something after upgrading to a rail system or something

clkramer

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 12 2016 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote clkramer

Actually the airsoft ones are really nice and I have a friend that actually uses one on his MP-44. 

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 13 2016 at 3:28am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Yeah, actually I have tried looking around for an airsoft one. I can"t find anyone offering them as replacement parts. GSG doesn't either. I did find them at ZEB militaria in Germany, but they won't (more like can't) ship to the US. I think your advice is good that I should be on the lookout within airsoft communities.

clkramer

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 14 2016 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote clkramer

If you are interested I just started a series of posts of a gent rebuilding an MP-44 from scrap parts and one of the new trunions that we build.
  http://gunlab.net/building-a-mp-44-semi-part-1/
chuck at gunlab.net

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 15 2016 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Nice. Thanks Chuck. I 'll be checking in on that from time to time with enthusiasm.

-Ken

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 16 2016 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

clkramer wrote:
If you are interested I just started a series of posts of a gent rebuilding an MP-44 from scrap parts and one of the new trunions that we build. <br> 

http://gunlab.net/building-a-mp-44-semi-part-1/<br>chu ck at gunlab.net

http://gunlab.net/building-a-mp-44-semi-part-1/

clkramer

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 21 2016 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote clkramer

I just finished and posted and article about Pete building a new back section for the MP-44. Check it out as it is interesting build.
http://gunlab.net/building-an-mp-44-semi-part-2/
Pete does some really nice work

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 21 2016 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

clkramer wrote:
I just finished and posted and article about Pete building a new back section for the MP-44. Check it out as it is interesting build.<br>http://gunlab.net/building-an-mp-44-semi-par t-2/<br>Pete does some really nice work

http://gunlab.net/building-an-mp-44-semi-part-2/

clkramer

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 21 2016 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote clkramer

backbencher. Thanks for making it a link. How are you do it. Chuck at gunlab

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version