Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 24 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 26

We have 2 member(s), 7 spiders, 24 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
tpvsu8, oruze

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (75):

MP44 Inspired Build
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 21 2016 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

[ url ] http://www.gunlab.net/ take out all the spaces.html [ /url ]
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

clkramer

SFC
SFC

Posted: March 28 2016 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote clkramer

The third of a 6 part series is up at gun lab. net. This post shows making a new piece to replace a rusted out lower section on the front of the receiver.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View clkramer's Profile Search for other posts by clkramer

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 28 2016 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

clkramer wrote:
The third of a 6 part series is up at gun lab. net. This post shows making a new piece to replace a rusted out lower section on the front of the receiver.

http://gunlab.net/building-a-semi-auto-mp-44-part-3/

clkramer

SFC
SFC

Posted: April 12 2016 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote clkramer

I am working on another post for gun lab on this build. Had a slight set back with the new computer. I hope to have it up by Friday.

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: April 17 2016 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Well, it has been a while since I have done anything with my little project. I have been very busy at work and at home with the summer-like weather we are having in Portland. Also, I went out to my garage a few weeks ago intent on doing something with this project and was just disgusted with my work area. Very small and very unorganized, so I spent the last few weekends doing something about it. I added a 2 foot deep counter down 24 feet of the wall. Plenty of space now, and brighter. Here's a shot of the left end...

So, I rounded-up my parts and decided to hammer form the fronts and backs over 1/2" oak.

I had to scarf-out clearance for the ribs on one side of the hammer form - identical halves otherwise..

And then proceeded to hammer-form...

Here's the right side. You can see some irregularities along the back ridge...I need to put back in the form and tap-tap-tap to smooth everything out a little nicer.

Here's the two halves stacked. Next task is to trim to shape and integrate the guts. I have a KP44 and a PPSH43 mag. I think it might be easier for me to use the PPSH since it's shape is square (not trapezoidal like the KP)

Hopefully, I'll be able to keep at this for a while.

-Ken

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: April 17 2016 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Those ribs are so nice.

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: April 18 2016 at 1:46am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

Nice work
What steel did you use for the plates?

It was called Schindler's List

Don't run...

You'll only die tired
View northumbrian's Profile Search for other posts by northumbrian

blurrededge

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: April 18 2016 at 7:06am | IP Logged Quote blurrededge

/facepalm

NO!, you fell for one of the Classic Blunders! It seems like ADDING horizontal surfaces to a shop is a good idea, but in reality you need as FEW as possible... they naturally collect junk! This is especially true in areas where it's been an issue previously...

Don't argue,... its Science.

Very nice job on the mag sideplates.
When attempting to make a blowback 9mm mp-44 tube gun that fit inside the "metal body" airsoft parts at one time, we found that the curve of the magazine for the existing airsoft shells best matched the PPSh-41... but the smaller mag had to ride at the rear of the shell at the top to get the feed angle right.
One magazine was made with it's own MP-5 style insert formed from sheet metal plates, and using a glock 9mm 30rd spring, in order to get it moved closer to the front of the shell. During testing, the follower was made of pine but it worked pretty well. Eventually the whole airsoft body cracked in a few places from the trauma of firing, and the owner scrapped the project (I'm still convinced that epoxying the steel tube receiver into the airsoft shell would have helped with that).

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: April 18 2016 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I used 22ga crs for these pressings. I cut off the top 1.25 inches or so of the ppsh 43 mag and am going to weld a front, back, and sides onto it. It won't look pretty, but will be permanently hidden inside these clean looking ribbed pieces. I have begun this, but it is 90 degrees out in the garage this evening, so I"m going to enjoy a highball and my new air conditioning tonight...lol...besides, if I went out there tonight, I'd just have to clear off all of that new horizontal surface.

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: April 19 2016 at 1:07am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

Should have been more clear, I meant the press dies.

I'm moving house, and at this moment in time have no horizontal surfaces.
But, I fear, I will be making the same mistake

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: April 19 2016 at 8:10pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Oh, sorry... just some 1/4" x 4" flatbar.

northumbrian

MAJ
MAJ

Posted: April 20 2016 at 1:00am | IP Logged Quote northumbrian

Ah, nothing "special" then.

Don't run...

You'll only die tired

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: April 21 2016 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Got a little done tonight...

Like I mentioned before, I thought to build a crude magazine and "clothing" it in the nice ribbed facade. I chopped-off the top of a PPSH43 mag and welded a side, front, and back onto it. I'm going to use the spring and follower from the ppsh mag as well...

And then capped the other side...

I then hammer-formed the "spine" that will run down the back of the magazine and rough-trimmed the peices...

Here's mock-ups of the peices together...

I need to weld together and grind everything smooth. The follower moves freely in the mag, so I think it is off to a good start. I hope to complete this magazine this weekend.

-Ken

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: April 26 2016 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I've taken the mag as about as far as I can for the moment. I'll fab the top pieces that shim into the magwell when I am ready to present it to the magwell.

So, the hole in my little lathe's chuck is too small for the barrel blank I have, so I needed to turn the barrel down before I could fit it into the lathe. So....Using my floor-stand drill press and an X-Y axis vise, I mounted a dial indicator and with a live center clamped in the vise adjusted until I eliminated all of the runout that could, which was about .005". Then I simply ground her down with an angle grinder using about four 80 grit pads.

I know...'Sounds very crude, but it worked very well. Itis now ready for the lathe.

So, I'll profile the barrel when I get the chance and then start working on the receiver/trunnion.

-Ken

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: April 26 2016 at 10:15pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Dem magazines.

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 04 2016 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

So, I've been thinking about the trunnion for this build. I'm using a KP44 bolt - mainly because it is already skinny and can be turned down to about an inch easily. I want to use the airsoft stock-to-receiver part that came with the stock I bought, so the OD of the lower part of the receiver needs to be no more than 1.24" dia.

Anyway, I'm going to build a "trunnion" that serves as the trunnion, magwell, ejection port, and ejector (just like the real one, kinda...) but in peices, not machined out of a block. I fired-up my etch-a-sketch and did some 2D isometric sketches. The assembly on the right shows the ejection port is too small, but you get the idea.

I hope to have this going shortly.

-Ken

clkramer

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 05 2016 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote clkramer

I just finished putting up part 4 of the MP-44 build and a post on locking shoulder problems on the PTR-44 at gunlab.net
http://gunlab.net/building-the-semi-auto-mp-44-part-4/

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: May 05 2016 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

http://gunlab.net/building-the-semi-auto-mp-44-part-4/

Amazing what you are going through to build this rifle.

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 08 2016 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

It still has a long way to go, but I got the bulk of the trunnion started yesterday.

Hope to whittle on this in the evenings next week.

-Ken

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 10 2016 at 12:28am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I got a little more done. I need to caress these parts a little and blend them out, but the bulk is coming together. Next I'll begin working on the barrel profile and the trunnion/feedramp.

-Ken

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version