Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 30 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

MP44 Inspired Build
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 10 2016 at 11:14pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

OK, 'not sure of the proper name for these, but tonight I started the panels that go on top of the mag for registration with the magwell. I decided that instead of embossing ribs, I will plug weld material onto these that serve as the spacers and mag-catch recess.

Not much, but progress...

-Ken
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: May 11 2016 at 12:25am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

They'll be hidden by the mag well?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 12 2016 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Backbencher - Not sure what you mean? I'm going to try to plug weld to these shoulders from the inside and finish the outside so it appears pressed, or clean anyway.

I managed to get a little more done tonight.

I turned down the trunnion...

And then a gentle ream...

I pressed the barrel and trunnion into place (temporarily) Yes, the right side guide rail is much wider than it needs to be. It currently interferes with the right side round in the magazine and will probably interfere with ejection, but it can be trimmed by reaching in through the magwell with a tool ..

Here is a shot with the mag in place. I thought I would need to contour a feed ramp due to the double-wide mag, but I carefully pushed the bolt in a few times and it looks like it feeds fairly well...

Here's a couple shots of the complete assembly thus far...

Any advice on the feed ramping would be invited. Also, is it best to have the barrel protrude from the face of trunnion like I have it here, or better to have the face of the trunnion take the blow of the bolt?

-Ken

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 15 2016 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

A little more done...

I put offsets in some 20 ga in order to profile the trunnion...

And then used the trunnion as a hammer-form to contour...

I decided to integrate the mag-catch housing and the receiver hinge into the trunnion...

Obviously didn't think this through - 'Will need to graft some material around hinge protrusion...

Grafted - needs some blending though...

And here is the complete assembly so far....

Next, the ribs.

-Ken

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: May 15 2016 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Sweet!

clkramer

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 15 2016 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote clkramer

Your project is coming along nicely. 
View clkramer's Profile Search for other posts by clkramer

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 15 2016 at 7:33pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I made a very rudimentary die for the rib above the mag weel...

Here are the elements of the die - Upper, Lower, and ram...

Here are the simple dies setup...

I didn't press them, I just smacked the punch with a hammerr...

Modified slightley to use on the other sides...

The other ribbing on this part will be "easier" - I'll post later...

-Ken

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 18 2016 at 12:41am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Well, there's a number of things I do not like with what I have done to date. I got the shape of the magwell/front-end of receiver all wrong and the over-all quality looks "rushed". Not too much lost however - The trunnion "block" is salvageable and my experience with forming the skin was a great learning experience.

So, I'm going to make some revisions to the block including increasing its over-all width about 0.080", re-do the mag-catch/hinge area to improve the geometry, and place the ribs a little better. Having been through what I have already done, this will not be too difficult. I'll also pay more attention to increasing the over-all flat pattern area as I can always trim.

After I get these to fit the block like a glove, I'll offer the rest of the receiver to it and tack it together. Then I'll lay it "flat", and blend the front to the rear. Then wrap the receiver around the block and secure.

Something like this...

This is turning into a fun project. My time will be limited in the weeks ahead, but I'll try to tinker on it as I can.

-Ken

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: May 18 2016 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Some of those features seem oddly familiar.

You're doing amazing work.

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 25 2016 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Before running on and messing-up more of this project, I paused to think about the bolt, carrier, and recoil system. Justin had remarked that it seems a waste to make a faux gas tube, and I agree with him. Seems silly, but I am not making a gas-operated rifle. So, taking Justin's lead, I'm currently looking at utilizing what should be a gas tube as the recoil housing. Below is a sketch of this idea...

The bolt carrier is simply a cylinder that is wider on the ends so a protrusion from the top of the bolt can be held captive. My thought is to machine a surface on the bolt carrier ends that allows clearance for the bolt to be removed when rotated by the charging handle. This will facilitate quick field stripping of the bolt, but the charging handle will need to be a grub screw that secures the rod to the carrier. I guess the OP rod and spring will not need much servicing, but removal of the charging handle and "gas port plug" will facilitate removal of those. (OP rod will have to be two pieces to clear the FSB).

What do you think...any merit?

-Ken

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: May 25 2016 at 11:49pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Going to free-float the bbl through the faux gas-block?
Agree x 1

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: May 26 2016 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

No, I was also thinking that once the bolt was removed, the gas port plug could be removed and the operating rod pushed forward. If I used some stepped half-collars, they would fall free and the OP rod and carrier could be yarded-out through the rear.

Like this...

-Ken

plingr2

E-2
E-2

Posted: May 26 2016 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote plingr2

What about the mechanism that is in sig 550 ?
View plingr2's Profile Search for other posts by plingr2

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: May 27 2016 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

Why not put the Op rod into the carrier with an interupted thread with the charging handle pushed through the both of them to locate them in place.
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: May 27 2016 at 10:41pm | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

Its better for face of trunnion to take bolt hit on closing, unless the barrel is wide enough, bcos of the impact spreading on larger area, your looks pretty wide.
View Zuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Zuzzy

Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: May 28 2016 at 12:19am | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

Recoil system is excellent, sealed spring in tube so nothing can enter, like in austr. Owen smg, very nice idea.

However contact btween bolt and bolt carr.needs to be precise and substantial, so that it never develops wear and wobble due to these thin shallow round contact points.

Charging handle could be put in the faux gas cyl.but we are not going for g3 looks,right?
View Zuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Zuzzy

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: June 02 2016 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Guys, thanks for the excellent remarks about the recoil system. Zuzzy, I completely agree that the contact points are not adequate. I haven't thought alot more about it yet, but either from the front or the rear, a recoil system has a lot of real estate on this build.

I decided to go ahead and see if I could re-work the pieces that wrap around the trunnion before scrapping them, and I had about 10 minutes of free time... So ....

I think I can work with this. I still need the smaller rib at the bottom, but want to implement the mag release first.

-Ken

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: June 12 2016 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I got a little more done the last couple of days. I have a pretty good start on the receiver.

First - Made plates to facilitate pressing the ribs...

And then pressed them...

And then, I tried to put sharp bends at the tangents of the arcs. I say "tried" because I had a lot of trouble with this and iin the end it did not turnout at crisp as I hoped....

The upper "tube" was easy enough to make...

Lastly, I trimmed the receiver accept the front section I had started. I "welded" it on and got as far as a very rough grind.

A lot of blending to do. Hopefully in the eves this next week.

-Ken

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: June 13 2016 at 12:00am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

It's beautiful.

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: June 13 2016 at 3:11pm | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

Absolutely stunning work Ken, your MP40 build was something incredible and this particular build it utterly amazing.
I seriously doff my cap to you sir, I've been watching this one with great excitement and I am chuffed to buggery how it is turning out.

Your press forming is great and with such simple tools, I have a very similar press to yours, mine is a 12 ton jobby. I used it to repair the head on my milling machine as the upper bearing seat had cracked out inside, so I had it machined out and a "top hat" made which I shrank with bottle of nitrous oxide sprayed over it and then pressed in, so I could put the bearings in and job done it all works again.

I am now minded to have a crack at making some bits and pieces, how would you attack making some louvres in a sheet of steel?
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version