Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 54 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 55

We have 1 member(s), 6 spiders, 54 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
dugin

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (65):

MP44 Inspired Build
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: June 23 2016 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Hey UKBiker - I have never made the "shark gill" type of louver, but it seems like it would be fairly simple. You could probably make a lower (female) "die" out of a hard wood such as oak and use a shaped steel tool with a hammer to form them. I think you would just need to clamp the material around the resultant louver to keep it flat and true. I have made a row of slots that required simple dies that made a pressed type impression. First, two holes were drilled on the ends and then a slot was cut between the two holes. Then clamped into the die and a tool was beaten through to form the slot. If this is the type you are interested in, I still have the dies and could elaborate a little. Here's the slots (on the back of a homebuilt '43 kubelwagen)...

I haven't done much on my project, but I did install the trunnion using plug welds...

And here id=s the receiver after some initial rough grinding...

I abandoned the idea of using the faux gas tube for the recoil spring. Mostly because of the simplicity and perhaps reliability (less precision required) of just pushing forward. I ordered a NOS Stg44 recoil spring and I will see if I can use it. I will need to make an extension with a hammer window, of which I can use to tune-in the weight of the bolt.

Here's an aerial view of the over-all build thus far. Pretty rough, but I think it is slowly coming together.

-Ken
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

clkramer

SFC
SFC

Posted: June 25 2016 at 10:10am | IP Logged Quote clkramer

Not bad. I like how it is coming out
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View clkramer's Profile Search for other posts by clkramer

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: June 27 2016 at 10:50pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I got a few small things done or started...

-Ken

clkramer

SFC
SFC

Posted: June 28 2016 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote clkramer

How did you press the groves in the gas tube
View clkramer's Profile Search for other posts by clkramer

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: June 28 2016 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

I didn't - It's a piece of schedule 80 black iron pipe. I made the long grooves with an angle grinder and then put it in the lathe and cut the two bands.

I just noticed that those bands are pretty narrow. I need to put it back in the lathe!

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: June 29 2016 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Due to the shortness of the bolt, I had added material to the top for the charging handle, but also tried to get this piece aligned in such a way that it would help "hold up" the bolt. I was having a problem whereby the front of the bolt would "sag" sufficiently that the lower portion of the bolt face would get interference with the back edges of the guide rails. I opted for another solution by adding a guide rod that would ride in a bushing at the front of the receiver where the gas tube would have originally been pressed into. Here's a photo of the assembled receiver with the bolt in place and the guide rod protruding out the front....

The spring I purchased arrived. Man, this thing is long. It fits good, and I assembled the receiver using a socket as a temporary filler where the rear bolt extension will be. The action feels pretty good. A little stiffer than I would have done on my own, but not too stiff.

Does anyone know what bottomed-out on a real MP44? Or did the spring absorb all of the recoil before allowing anything to bottom?

Here's a shot of the guide rod on the bolt. I simply threaded a 7 -inch long 1/4-20 hex head bolt and lopped of the head...

Here's a view looking toward the breech where you can see the bushing...

The bushing is housed in a tube, which protrudes out the fron so the faux gas tube can be pressed on over it...

I also got a rough profile on the barrel...

Here's a shot of all the parts I have in miscellaneous states of un-done-ness...

As you can see in the photos, I have a lot of cosmetic finishing to do, but I'm going primarily for fit and function at the moment. My next efforts will be to get the magazine to fit and function and then work the breech of the barrel. I still need to make the FSB, RSB, gas block, and pistol grip.

-Ken

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: June 29 2016 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Alas....It's starting to look like a rifle...

-Ken

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: July 02 2016 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

It's beautiful. Amazing how much that looks like the HK G3 series.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: July 03 2016 at 11:02am | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

Looking at the slow motion video of stg, it seems that the bolt and carrier are not hitting the back of the receiver.

Wire gauge for your spring looks maybe too thick, are you sure it is not too strong ?
View Zuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Zuzzy

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: July 07 2016 at 12:14am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Thanks Zuzzy. I sort of figured that the real Stg44 couldn't have been bottoming out. The gauge of my spring isn't quite a big looking in person - I have florescent lighting in my shop and I think it does weird things to some photos. I do have access to a pull-force scale at my work. I'll measure the pull in lbs. and run it by here again.

I need to start getting my barrel in place so I can work the action and tune it for installation. I decided this time I would not put-off those little things until the end such as sight posts, gas block, muzzle nut, etc... So, tonight I spent about 4 hours and made a muzzle nut.

I drilled a hole through the center of some bar stock and welded a pin of the same diameter to a piece of plate and set it up in the drill press. This was to serve as a turn-style to drill holes through the bar stock that would eventually become the knurls.

And then proceeded to drill pilot holes to an appropriate depth...

Then, I put it in the lathe and drilled & tapped. I'm using 9/16 - 18...

Next, I drilled out the orbiting holes to their final radii...

I then put it back in the lathe to turn down and expose the knurls. It got a little wonky, so I took it out and used a grinder to sand down.

I then put back in the lathe and turned a groove in the middle if the knurls.

What you see is the "good" end. The center hole on the other end is slightly off-center, but I think I can make it better with some small files.

-Ken

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: July 07 2016 at 1:25am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Wow. In the middle of a 2-front war, they used that much machining to make a bbl nut? No wonder they lost.

Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: July 07 2016 at 2:03am | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

Man you really are something.
When I think you pulled out all the DIY tricks from your sleeve, you surprise us again.

I don't think I ever seen a forumite in this hobby that accomplished so much with so few and simple tools... 

But it speaks of lot of experience, patience and innovative thinking, and that is just the thing we need.

Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: July 07 2016 at 2:19am | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

vintagemx0 wrote:
Hey UKBiker - I have never made the "shark gill" type of louver, but it seems like it would be fairly simple. You could probably make a lower (female) "die" out of a hard wood such as oak and use a shaped steel tool with a hammer to form them

What is interesting, that mp 45 or gerat 06 prototype, was made with hardwood dies;

http://ww2.rediscov.com/spring/VFPCGI.exe?IDCFile=/spring/DE TAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=10237,DATABASE=objects

that probably explains fairly simple lines without ribs and dimples in receiver and trigger group section, unlike stg44.

It can be speculated if these dies were just for prototype versions (cheaper than for full scale production when the rifle is in the testing still), or maybe it was some kind of a large scale cheap and simple dies making plan, to be given to many small workshops with no heavy power tools and machinery...

Take a note that a guy who made airsoft repro, that is on a pages before, also used that kind of wood dies.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: July 07 2016 at 11:10am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: July 13 2016 at 10:40pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

The FSB on the Stg44 appears to have been cast, which gave me a challenge to try to make inside radii that looked as such. I decided to make the webbed portion of the delta shape two halves of sheet metal hammer-formed over a, well, form.

I then placed the two pieces back-to-back and welded them together. The aim here is to inside radii that I won't need to grind down from weld.

I then added some small flat bar around the perimeter...

For the bottom part of the FSB that fits over the barrel, I turned down some old barrel remnant the the proper OD and then coped-out a notch for the cross-pin boss..

I then welded the two together...

And then drilled the ID...

Here is the assembled FSB. Yes, I have a lot of blending yet to do...

For the (faux) gas block, I took two pieces of appropriately sized tubes and cut a small piece of flat bar to space them while welding together...

Here is the dimple side (rough - needs a lot of blending TLC)...

And here is the sling boss side...

For the (faux) gas plug, I turned the shaft that has the little ball on the end, and for the threaded base, I used a 3/8 NPT plug from the plumbing isle of my favorite hardware store...

Assembled gas plug. The inside diameter of the pipe I used for the gas block is adequately sized to run a 3/8 NPT tap into. I have done this, but no photos taken yet...

I also have the base for the RSB roughed out (no photos yet). I do need to re-do the muzzle nut because after I trimmed it, it became evident that the through-hole was too far off of center to be usable. I'll be making it the same way as I did before, so I won't re-post building it.

-Ken

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: July 14 2016 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Holy smokes! That's amazing.

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: July 15 2016 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

Thank you fellow forumites for suggesting looking at airsoft communities for the hand guard. I was able to locate one on EBay and ordered it. It arrived today and I promptly took a look....and it fits very well. It snapped right on and will not come back off easily, so I am very pleased even though I cannot take credit for replicating it. I'm not sure how I would have tried to build one of these???

So, now I can move forward with fitting the gas tube and barrel assembly. Here's some pics of the guard...

-Ken

Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: July 16 2016 at 8:13am | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

Coming out marvelously.

How you fixed turned shaft to the npt plug in faux gas plug?

Where did you get all these these blueprints, or you made them ?

vintagemx0

SFC
SFC

Posted: July 22 2016 at 12:40am | IP Logged Quote vintagemx0

'Been down for a few days because I took a piece of metal debris to the eye while cutting sheet with a cut-off wheel. I'm fine (luckily) and it will be fully healed in the coming days, but I just thought this would be a good opportunity for a friendly reminder to everyone to be extra careful out there. I consider myself to be fairly careful with my personal safety, but... Be safe guys.

Zuzzy - I simply bored a hole axially through the NPT plug, inserted the rod, piled hot (penetrating) weld around the base of the rod, and then ground off the excess weld. The prints I have I got through a link here on the forum. They appear to have been prepared by a Russian chap. I use them mostly just for visual reference and proportioning as I cannot hold any real tolerances and my receiver needed to fit the airsoft butt stock.

-Ken

Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: July 22 2016 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

Once, after some grinding wheel sessions I got a tiny particle in the eye, what was funny I noticed it only next day (started to get red around the place) since there was no any pain or discomfort (!).
If it wasn't red I wouldnt know it was there, probably so small and sharp. Of course, couldnt remove it myself so trip to the doc and in less than a minute it was fixed, hopefully.

After that, no grinding and drilling whatsoever without safety glasses.

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version