Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
5 members and 26 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 31

We have 5 member(s), 8 spiders, 26 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
jasmineho69, jasmineho69, Cabin3, jasmineho69, jasmineho69

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (100):

AR bolt action rifle ?
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  godsownrifle

E-3
E-3

Posted: December 29 2015 at 6:06pm | IP Logged Quote godsownrifle

I had the brain fart of using a cheap surplus AR bolt, barrel, and barrel extension, to build a low cost conventional format bolt action rifle, with an aluminium receiver.

The AR bolt could be modified to fit into a bolt action bolt body, i .e a tube, possibly welded in place.

I expect its been done before ?

Any thoughts ?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View godsownrifle's Profile Search for other posts by godsownrifle

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December 29 2015 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 30 2015 at 4:01am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

I have owned a Bolt Action AR15 for years now...  BUT... it does not count, because it's a 50 BMG..  lol

There have been bolt action AR's for many years. They are used for competitive long rang shooting.  The best known is the TUBB 2000 Made by David Tubb. 

On the Tubb website you can find the following Article:                     TUBB 2000 Concepts  

This is must reading for anyone interested in the TUBB 2000 rifle or firearms design in general. It explains, in David's own words, all the thought and effort that went into producing a brand new rifle. Very interesting and informative reading.

Link:   http://tinyurl.com/jr9yvnn

Spring Design

This is about how firearms springs work, or should work, and you will learn a good deal from it.

Spring Desi
Link:  http://tinyurl.com/p8tp2ko

Firing Pin Impact Studies by James A. Boatright

Choosing optimal hammer and striker firing system components. An in-depth look at primer ignition, firing pin design and accuracy, by James A. Boatright.

Link: http://tinyurl.com/oydw53n

gn
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: December 30 2015 at 5:10am | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

Now that I have brought up the Bolt Action 50 BMG uppers for Ar LOWERS, AND THE TUBB 2000 BOLT ACTION RIFLE, I can point out two other options.

1.  It's easy to build An AR15 or AR10 BOLT ACTION RIFLE.
All you need to do is use a side charging handle upper receiver (right or left (they have both if you look hard enough). You don't need the front side assy, the barrel does not get the gas port drilled, and not gas tube is required, and the gas key on the bolt carrier is not required.  You can even purchase an all new safety for the AR...  it's simple a push button bolt style like you find on other rifles, especially 22lr Rifles. so the safety is either on or off...  no safe or semi  lol        I have seen a plug the cover the back of the Ar where the charging handle would be (if you have a side charging AR), Or....  simply have both for dual charging.  use which every you want, when you want...  BUT the side charging AR is Incredible.  I have one and love it.   The Result is you, you have a modular rifle that was designed to be as accurate as a bolt action rifle (when using DI or BOLT ACTION).

gen4_background2

BUT...  You can also purchase an AR15/AR10 BOLT ACTION RIFLE !  It's made by Patriot Ordnance Factory http://pof-usa.com/revolt/

The Rifle is called the REVOLT and it's not as simple as the above bolt action design, and it's using the GEN 4 Lower Receiver. Given the Choice, I would convert all my AR Lowers to Gen 4..  It's a MUCH better design, and it's how I expect it to be (sadly  changing over to Gen 4 for me is not going to happen...  I have like 6 AR15 series rifles, with an additional 9 AR lower receivers for future projects, calibers, and designs.  What can I say...  I spent 16 years in the Army, mostly as an Armorer. And as a Master Armorer, I know and fully understand the AR design, it's intentions, and capability of the 50+ year old design.

revolt-single-no-accessories-narrow

Anyone that has read any of my posts on the AR series rifles, knows how much I dislike the Piston version AR's because it's basically just a fad, that adds far more points of failure, typically due to the failure of the piston return spring, which works like a heat sink.  the more you shoot it, the hotter the spring gets.  and in combat, especially automatic fire, the spring quickly gets overheated, which results in the spring changing temper.. if it cools down slowly, the spring is then weak, and can cause failure to feed and/or eject at the worst  possibility moment. if it's raining, and the red hot spring gets wet, the spring's temper is changed.  Now it's hardened, and when under stress, the spring will break, causing total failure to feed and eject.  It also causes a tremendous  amount of stress on the upper receiver which causes additional wear and tear on the components, reducing the life span on the rifle.  The Standard DI setup....?   During Operation Desert Shield and Operation Desert Storm I carried an M16A1 (that had all it's furniture upgraded the A2)  My Rifle served during the Vietnam War, and was still in service (I prefer the M16A1 over the M16A2 any day) and I never had any issues with my rifle.  My Rifle's finish was a little worn, but not to bad (others were worse), and that rifle could serve for another 50 years with US troops and not likely be worn out (but... the barrel should be updated to 62 or 77 grain...)  and it would be nice to have a flat top upper   lol.

Back to the REVOLT Bolt Action Rifle....  It looks just like any other AR series rifle, BUT the cost is over $2k  ($2679 for the 308 model).

5.56mm Specs  http://tinyurl.com/jkxzshv
7.62x51mm Specs  http://tinyurl.com/obdzscr

Part AR-15, part bolt-action, all POF-USA. The NEW ReVolt™ Bolt-Action rifles feature our Gen 4 ambidextrous controls, innovative bolt-action design, and our M-LOK compatible M Rail. The ReVolt™ shares the look and fire control operations that you are used to. Minimize your training time, maximize your efficiency. Pure POF-USA quality and performance, purpose-built for those demanding more out of their bolt-action rifles. A perfect choice for hunters and Law Enforcement; and with the change to a captive pin at the factory it’s legal in all 13 Colonies – even where the Tories live.

The Bolt Action is a Straight Pull design with two handles.

NITRIDE HEAT-TREATED FLUTED BARREL & 3 PORT MUZZLE BRAKE.                      

NITRIDE HEAT-TREATED BARREL

Proper gas regulation and lubricated mechanics are nothing without the precision and durability of a quality barrel. Our chrome alloy barrels are machined for absolute accuracy. Our barrels are nitride heat-treated for full corrosion resistance.

TRIPLE PORT MUZZLE BRAKE

Designed to precisely compliment the POF platform our nitride heat-treated muzzle brake controls gas dispersion and reduces muzzle rise. It is effective in allowing the shooter to have faster follow up shots and has unbelievably soft felt recoil. It features blunt strike prongs and includes our nitride heat-treated collar jam nut.

OVERSIZED HEAT SINK BARREL NUT

The patented oversized heat sink barrel nut is one of the most significant innovations. At three inches long it completely encompasses the chamber and throat area of the barrel where expanding gas temperatures peak. Take into account the radiation properties of aluminum compared to traditional steel and you have 17 times more heat dissipation than a standard AR. Our barrel nut’s 3” length also gives the operating rod substantial guiding surface assuring constant positive contact with the bolt carrier. Our enhanced backbone receiver also move the upper’s natural stress point forward. This adds a massive amount of rigidity to the overall platform and is critical when vertical fore grips are being pulled on the upper assembly.

BOLT CARRIER GROUP & ROLLER CAM PIN

BOLT CARRIER GROUP

Our one piece NP3 plated bolt carrier is manufactured with the mechanical key built into the body and positioned behind the cam pin. This patented design helps reduce carrier tilt. Our bolt carrier group features a chrome plated bolt, extractor, and firing pin. The finishes are both corrosion resistant and introduce lubricious characteristics to the action.

Roller Cam Pin

Our patented roller cam pin is just one more example of how we strive to reduce friction and drag in the action. Standard AR cam pins feature a square steel head that literally grinds and carves away at the inside of the receiver. POF’s NP3 coated roller head actually rolls inside the channel of the upper thus eliminating friction and prolonging the life of the upper.

http://pof-usa.com/revolt/

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: December 30 2015 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote justin22885

has anyone considered making a straight pull bolt action that DOESNT go onto an AR-15 lower, but rather would be bedded into a stock?
View justin22885's Profile Search for other posts by justin22885

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: December 30 2015 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

I asked this one time...
Just remove the gas tube. I believe one of our friends across the pond (UKBiker?) said this is how it's achieved.

The youtube video... Just put the buffer spring in there. If for no other reason than to bring a round into battery. It looks like he's forcing it forward with the charging handle.
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

godsownrifle

E-3
E-3

Posted: December 30 2015 at 10:53am | IP Logged Quote godsownrifle

You may have misunderstood my original post, but I was thinking of a conventional wooden stocked rifle, with a conventional bolt action, not using AR upper or lower, or straight pull.

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: December 30 2015 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

justin22885 wrote:
has anyone considered making a straight pull bolt action that DOESNT go onto an AR-15 lower, but rather would be bedded into a stock?

You can. But given the low cost of AR lowers these days, it probably won't be cost effective.

My 1st AR was a 16" straight pull bolt action pistol, using a rifle buffer tube. As I used a conventional AR bbl w/ gas port, it was VERY LOUD! Worked fine, however.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: December 30 2015 at 2:23pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

a 1.25" OD 1" ID steel tube is all you need to make the receiver, thread the outside of it for the barrel nut to take AR barrels, use a carrier without a gas key and you can mount it into a stock any number of ways, id cut it a tad short so the tail of the bolt stuck out of the rifle and put the charging handle there... for the magazine well? mossberg MVP mag wells are inexpensive and could mount directly to the stock with wood screws... drill a couple holes in the sides and epoxy-glue in some steel bushing so you can pin in a timney trigger pack, then wood screw an AKM trigger guard to the bottom and voila, an AR-15 bolt, carrier, and barrel with AR-15 timney trigger group and magazines, all with a wooden stock in a conventional rifle setup

UKBiker

1LT
1LT

Posted: December 30 2015 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote UKBiker

This is essentially what we have in the UK since all centrefire calibres were banned in semi auto formats.
There are lever release AR15 in 9mm .45ACP and .223 and now the VZ58 MARS rifles in .223 and 7.62 X 39 both of which use a manually operated bolt release to complete the cycle which is interupted mid way through causing the bolt to be held rearward after ejecting the fired round, until manually released by flicking a thumb lever on the AR or pulling the trigger a second time on the VZ58
View UKBiker's Profile Search for other posts by UKBiker

godsownrifle

E-3
E-3

Posted: December 30 2015 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote godsownrifle

I don't want an AR upper or lower or bolt carrier in my concept. Just a manual bolt action rifle, with a stock made out of a plank.

I'll do a drawing.

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: December 31 2015 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

Justin is spot on.

A hunk 'o aluminum 1.25 OD x 1.0 ID.

The only real machining is the face and threads for a barrel nut.
Everything else is cosmetic. Actually has me thinking...

Drop that into whatever 2x4 you've got laying around and trim to suit.

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: December 31 2015 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote justin22885

Paraquat wrote:
Justin is spot on.

A hunk 'o aluminum 1.25 OD x 1.0 ID.

The only real machining is the face and threads for a barrel nut.
Everything else is cosmetic. Actually has me thinking...

Drop that into whatever 2x4 you've got laying around and trim to suit.

just need to figure out how to hold the bolt forward when out of battery, a spring inside the bolt could do it, or you may be able to file just enough of a groove in the top of the tube for a smaller cam bolt

i bet if you wanted to be REALLY simple you could use a pipe clamp over the front and back you can rivet the ends together over a steel block you can drill and tap to act as the front and rear lugs.. for the first one it could share the same bolt holding the front of the mossberg MVP magazine well... or use hollow rivets on the bottom fo the clamps and just pin the upper to the wooden stock

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: December 31 2015 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

Sorry, in my mind's eye I've still got a buffer and spring assembly, even if only a condensed version.

I once got to handle an Oly Arms AR pistol that had a standard bolt, only cut in half. The mass might not be all there, but it allowed the pistol to function without a rear stock.

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: December 31 2015 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote justin22885

thats one of the reasons i suggest putting it into a more conventional stock because then the charging handle will be right by your hand for very fast cycling.. your hand pulls it back, it has to go forward anyway, all a spring or buffer does here is slow you down when pulling back

i sketched one up and put it into a stock, the receiver tube is cut to make a tang to screw into the stock and it leaves the tail end of the carrier exposed so you can put an angled bolt handle on the tail of it that'll be right next to your hand for faster cycling... cool part is it almost perfectly fits a remington 700 stock, with a little tweaking and some bedding i could probably get it to fit one

godsownrifle

E-3
E-3

Posted: December 31 2015 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote godsownrifle

Paraquat wrote:
Justin is spot on.<br><br>A hunk 'o aluminum 1.25 OD x 1.0 ID.<br><br>The only real machining is the face and threads for a barrel nut.<br>Everything else is cosmetic. Actually has me thinking...<br><br>Drop that into whatever 2x4 you've got laying around and trim to suit.<br>

<div style="display: none; visibility: ; opacity: 0;" id="lb"><div style="display: none;" id="lbCenter"><div id="lbImage"><div style="display: none;" id="lbBottomContainer"><div id="lbBottom"><div id="lbCaption"><div id="lbNumber"><div style="clear: both;">

That's what I was originally thinking about.

If you have the bolt, barrel extension, and a barrel you have the basis of a safe pressure tested rifle, everything else is DIY 'able.

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version