Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 39 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 41

We have 2 member(s), 9 spiders, 39 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
bonniely3, ThomasVox

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (108):

A diy question
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  dbtk44

Private
Private

Posted: March 06 2016 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote dbtk44

Hello to everyone here on Weaponeer! I'm a long time lurker and very infrequent poster, and I have to say that the knowledge and skill you guys exhibit is simply staggering! I've learned quite a lot simply hanging out here...and I THANK ALL those who have posted here for sharing your projects and knowledge! You guys really do a great service to us "less informed" people.

I wanted to run a question by knowledgeable folks here.  I''m an avid black powder shooter, and I've recently discovered ( yeah I know, 160+ years too late ) the pinfire ignition system, which of course was sort of the precursor to the center fire, metallic cartridge system. Being a primitive ignition system
, it is of course excluded from 1932 NFA and 1968 GCA regulations, and BATFE confirmed this...So, it opens up a whole world of different things that can be done with the pinfire system. Just like percussion, flint and matchlock, barrel length, absence of rifling, and bore size are not strictly regulated of a FEDERAL level.  So, obviously pinfire is rather fertile ground for the DIY arena! STATE law may well be a different story, but for the sake of argument I'm sticking with FED regs right now.

In a nutshell, FED regs state that primitive ignition systems, either an original or a modern replica, are exempt from NFA and GCA, provided they can't easily be converted to centerfire by changing the barrel or a few other specific parts. 

So, let me put forth a hypothetical scenario.....

Say I'd like to put together a pinfire SxS short barrel shotgun, like a Howdah pistol. I don't particularly want to chop up a beautiful 160+ year old Belgian Damascus barrel, however I happen to have an unused modern SxS barrel that, with the proper, permanent modifications, would be perfect for my breech face, stock and pinfire style hammers.

To my knowledge, the only part of a "firearm" that is actually regulated, is the receiver...and, like 80% lowers, anything other than a completed receiver is just a hunk of metal. 

Ignoring State laws at the moment...does anyone see any potential legal issues with the aforementioned, hypothetical scenario from the aspect of USA Federal law?

Any and all thoughts on this are sincerely appreciated! Thank You!

Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View dbtk44's Profile Search for other posts by dbtk44

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 06 2016 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Awhile back I found reloadable pinfire online. On my work laptop now so I'll have to look for it later. What caliber are you looking at? I like the idea of a Howdah pistol. I have a smoothbore 15mm pinfire pistol. If you redo the hammers and breach you shouldn't have a legal issue but I would be leary of Damascus steel
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: March 06 2016 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

so youre wanting to fabricate some pinfire cartridges?
View justin22885's Profile Search for other posts by justin22885

dbtk44

Private
Private

Posted: March 06 2016 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote dbtk44

bikergunnut wrote:
Awhile back I found reloadable pinfire online. On my work laptop now so I'll have to look for it later. What caliber are you looking at? I like the idea of a Howdah pistol. I have a smoothbore 15mm pinfire pistol. If you redo the hammers and breach you shouldn't have a legal issue but I would be leary of Damascus steel

I'm looking at either 12ga, or 20ga,  if I want to use a modern barrel..like I said, I want to stay away from either using, or destroying, a Damascus barrel. Appreciate any and all info you'd like to pass on to me bikernut!

Smoothbore 15mm, NICE! Is that a single, or SxS? I actually got the idea for a pinfire Howda from seeing one of the 12mm SxS pistolas.

dbtk44

Private
Private

Posted: March 06 2016 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote dbtk44

justin22885 wrote:
so youre wanting to fabricate some pinfire cartridges?

If I go ahead with the project, yes I believe I will be looking to fab some.

I know once upon a time, there were devices that were actually pinfire like cartridges that fit into the chamber and the "pin hole", that actually had a percussion nipple on top. I'll see if I can find where I saw it, and post a pic here if I can.
Funny x 1

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 06 2016 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8388&PN=1 &TPN=3
Double barrel halfway down the page.

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 06 2016 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Hmmmm. Thinking of the LeMat replicas.... so I'm not sure - are they rifled, or smoothbore...?

View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

dbtk44

Private
Private

Posted: March 06 2016 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote dbtk44

bikergunnut wrote:
http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8388& PN=1 &TPN=3
Double barrel halfway down the page.

THAT is a nice piece! I'm envious...

Sure love that H&R too...something about the top break pistolas, I just dig 'em

dbtk44

Private
Private

Posted: March 06 2016 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote dbtk44

backbencher wrote:
Hmmmm. Thinking of the LeMat replicas.... so I'm not sure - are they rifled, or smoothbore...?

The 20ga center barrel is a smooth bore. Yeah, I've always liked LeMats myself, just could never bring myself to put down that kind of $$ for one!  But if the circumstances were ever right...I'd grab one up in short order

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 07 2016 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 07 2016 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

I would love to shoot my pinfire but the two bullets I have each cost more than I paid for the pistol.

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version