Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 34 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 36

We have 2 member(s), 6 spiders, 34 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
Jeffreydug, Wavar68

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (72):

WTB Sten Mag Rebuild kits (CT)
Weaponeer Forums : For Sale/Trade or Want to buy

Posted in For Sale/Trade or Want to buy
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Kamilavalamp

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: May 17 2016 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote Kamilavalamp

I'm looking for Sten Mags and live in CT. They would have to shipped disassembled as Rebuild\parts kits to be legal. Since I'm going to have to mod them anyway to only accept 10rds I'd prefer original 32rd mags.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Kamilavalamp's Profile Search for other posts by Kamilavalamp

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: May 18 2016 at 11:34am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

I think we've had this discussion before. If you can cite chapter & verse, and provide a diagram to cut them, I'll be happy to disassemble & cut, then send them on to you. You'll have to do your own folding to get the baseplate on.

I'm not a high speed metalworker, just a joe w/ a Dremel, so ship mags to me @ your own risk.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Kamilavalamp

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: May 18 2016 at 11:47am | IP Logged Quote Kamilavalamp

I'd Rather just get them disassembled and then do my own cutting. What do you mean chapter and verse?

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: May 18 2016 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Cite whatever you need to cite that shows that sending magazine parts to Connecticut is legal.

As an individual, I wouldn't send uncut magazine bodies to your fair state - I'm too warm blooded for a Connecticut prison.

Kamilavalamp

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: May 18 2016 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote Kamilavalamp

There aint nothing fair about my state. It's the place the devil uses as a model when he renovates hell. I can't blame you for not wanting to send things here. I wouldn't wish CT on my worst enemies.

This is the best I can do for chapter and verse. It's the definition of "high capacity magazine" in CT,

Public Act No. 13-220
(1) "Large capacity magazine" means any firearm magazine, belt, drum, feed strip or similar device that has the capacity of, or can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition, but does not include: (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds of ammunition, (B) a . 22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device, (C) a tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm, or (D) a magazine that is permanently inoperable;

I'd say that a completely disassembling a magazine renders it "permanently inoperable" since it's no longer a magazine and just a pile of metal parts.

I still would like to do my own modification. I was going to try to weld a metal "stopper" inside the mag so it would only hold 10rds but still keep it's original size. Kinda like the way they did when they made the 20rd versions. It would take some fiddling with it to get it just right but I think it would be worth it.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: May 19 2016 at 12:31am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

trickyrick

CSM
CSM

Posted: May 19 2016 at 2:34am | IP Logged Quote trickyrick

DUP
View trickyrick's Profile Search for other posts by trickyrick

trickyrick

CSM
CSM

Posted: May 19 2016 at 2:35am | IP Logged Quote trickyrick

(1) "Large capacity magazine" means any firearm magazine, belt, drum, feed strip or similar device that has the capacity of, OR CAN BE READILY RESTORED or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition, but does not include: (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds of ammunition, (B) a . 22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device, (C) a tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm, or (D) a magazine that is permanently inoperable;

CAN PRETTY MUCH BE READILY RESTORED IN SECONDS W/ NO TOOLS...PRETTY SELF EXPLANATORY

Kamilavalamp

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: May 19 2016 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Kamilavalamp

trickyrick wrote:
(1) "Large capacity magazine" means any firearm magazine, belt, drum, feed strip or similar device that has the capacity of, OR CAN BE READILY RESTORED or converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition, but does not include: (A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than ten rounds of ammunition, (B) a . 22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device, (C) a tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm, or (D) a magazine that is permanently inoperable;

CAN PRETTY MUCH BE READILY RESTORED IN SECONDS W/ NO TOOLS...PRETTY SELF EXPLANATORY

If it's a disassembled pile of pieces, it's not a magazine anymore.
Haven't you ever heard of a parts kit? The only part considered a gun is the receiver so they don't include that. Magazines don't have any 1 part that makes them a mag, so disassemble them and they are just a pile of parts.

Kamilavalamp

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: May 19 2016 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote Kamilavalamp

backbencher wrote:
As an individual, I wouldn't send uncut magazine bodies to your fair state - I'm too warm blooded for a Connecticut prison.

I'd be happy if you were to saw the bodies in half and send them if that makes you comfortable. Do you think you could instead drill 2 holes in the mag where the 10th rd would go, stick a bolt through each hole and weld the bolts in place permanently making them 10rd mags?

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: May 19 2016 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Would love to, but I don't know how to weld.

If it's a 32 rnd mag, we'd have to work out pretty carefully where to cut.

Say I cut it in half - Postal Inspectors turn the package to your Gestapo, and then we both get done for a 15 round mag. If I can articulate to a jury why I cut where I did, I'll be happy to do that.

Just "half" isn't exact enough for my comfort.

How many mags are we talking about? Send me one, I'll chop it to our best guess, and send it. If it's too short, then we'll try again. If you have to cut off a significant amount, then we'll revise our chop for the next one. Once it's perfect, you can send me several, and I'll chop to the agreed on spot.

Keep in mind this will be hand cut w/ an Aggie-held Dremel.

And don't anyone think I'm getting into the mag-chopping business. This is to produce dimensions that will work for shipping mag bodies to ban states, not so I can chop mags for everyone.

One of my concerns is how much space the spring takes - how long should it be, and how much space will it take up in a 10 round mag?
Agree x 1

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 19 2016 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Decide weather to cut off te top or bottom. Once cut your good. It would have to be reprofiled or welded.
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

ryche

Level 2 Site Sponsor
Level 2 Site Sponsor

Posted: May 20 2016 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote ryche

BackBencher: I have a Sten mag missing the floor plate that i would be happy to send you for testing purposes...
This way you can start with something in a no worry situation.   Some one out there has floor plates i just don't remember who and it was a way  low priority on my list.
P.M. me with details on where it goes if you want it
Ryche
Agree x 1

Kamilavalamp

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: May 20 2016 at 12:35pm | IP Logged Quote Kamilavalamp

ryche wrote:
BackBencher: I have a Sten mag missing the floor plate that i would be happy to send you for testing purposes...
This way you can start with something in a no worry situation.   Some one out there has floor plates i just don't remember who and it was a way  low priority on my list.
P.M. me with details on where it goes if you want it
Ryche

That would be great, BackBender if you could figure how to do 10rd sten mags they could be sent to all the ban states. Once you have the method down it would most likely work on all other stick mags too like uzi, mpa, m3, etc. And it would also be helpful for people with their pistol builds.

I'd be first in line to buy mags from you in bulk too.

tr6guns

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: May 21 2016 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote tr6guns

If you have a 32 round mag just measure the total length from the top and divide by 32 and cut at the 10 mark.   

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: May 21 2016 at 10:40am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

ryche, PM sent. Let's roll.

tr6guns wrote:
If you have a 32 round mag just measure the total length from the top and divide by 32 and cut at the 10 mark.   

Well - that would make some sense, but I'm afraid a DA might pick me apart.

We need room for 10 rounds - easily verifiable, my GF's late husband left her a lot of 9x19mm. AND we need room for the spring, and there has to be a little bit left over to bend for the floorplate retainer.

But - we don't need the original 32 round spring - or a DA could just snip the spring, and put 11 rounds in, and then we're screwed. So the spring has to be sized to the column of rounds we're pushing. So the compressed spring length is actually the most difficult dimension to get - how much spring do we need to get the rounds to feed reliably, but not so much the spring can be trimmed, have 11 rounds fit, and still feed those reliably - @ which point we might be in violation of the DPRK's laws.

So, while a reliable 10 round is easy peasy - throw a full length spring under 10 rounds of 9x19mm - a 10 round mag that won't feed 11 reliably is surprisingly difficult.

tr6guns

Level 3 Site Sponsor
Level 3 Site Sponsor

Posted: May 21 2016 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote tr6guns

They make numerous springs for 10 round 9mm mags for different guns that would work already. ( Cal. Specs.)And as far as the right dimension for the mag, the spring area is already figured in when you measure the mag. It should only take one or two mags to figure out where to cut them. Or you could just block the mags with permanent welding and they would be legal..   

trickyrick

CSM
CSM

Posted: May 21 2016 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote trickyrick

but a parts kit has no receiver or a destroyed receiver and cannot be readily reassembled.....putting a follower in a mag, followed by a spring and base plate sounds like readily reassembled to me.... now i could smash a bunch up, or cut the individual pieces in three parts w/ a torch and have no qualms about it. how many do you want?
[QUOTE=Kamilavalamp]
<br><br>If it's a disassembled pile of pieces, it's not a magazine anymore.<br>Haven't you ever heard of a parts kit? The only part considered a gun is the receiver so they don't include that. Magazines don't have any 1 part that makes them a mag, so disassemble them and they are just a pile of parts.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: May 21 2016 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Kamilavalamp, can you weld? B/c if you can weld, it makes this really easy, and you wouldn't even have to fold metal for the baseplate.

Kamilavalamp

Sgt
Sgt

Posted: May 21 2016 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote Kamilavalamp

backbencher wrote:
Kamilavalamp, can you weld? B/c if you can weld, it makes this really easy, and you wouldn't even have to fold metal for the baseplate.

Yes, I'm not a professional but I can do simple welds. I have a flux-core MIG welder.

trickyrick wrote:
now i could smash a bunch up, or cut the individual pieces in three parts w/ a torch and have no qualms about it. how many do you want?

Do you mean cutting the magazine body in 3 pieces and leaving the rest of the parts alone? Or do you mean cutting all the pieces in 3?

<< Prev Topic For Sale/Trade or Want to buy Next Topic >>

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version