Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
5 members and 37 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users

My Own Design Simple Hand Tool Firearm
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  DFHammack

Private
Private

Posted: October 08 2016 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote DFHammack

Hi Guys, I have not been active for a while, but I am working on a design loosely based on the "24Hr AK". I have most of the parts handy. It will have a square tube  receiver, and use an AK FCG. I plan to use an S&W model 59 magazine since I already own 2 pistols using that mag, and it is available in a 30 round version. I do have the beginnings of a drawing, but it is mostly still in my head. Improvements on the "24Hr AK" design include a better laminated bolt, and a guide rod with internal recoil spring. My question is about the bolt. I have designed an improved laminated bolt, but recently came across the "Professor Parabellum" books. They make it look ridiculously simple to make a bolt from plain steel rod (like an old axle). The attraction for the laminated bolt is that it can be made with simple hand tools. I wonder what thoughts you guys have? I tried to upload my drawing, but the file couldn't be created for either JPG or PDF.... Sorry
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

View DFHammack's Profile Search for other posts by DFHammack

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 09 2016 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Sounds interesting.  The server hasn't been accepting uploads for some time now.  Might host the PDF on Google Docs; jpgs on a photo hosting service like Photobucket.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

DFHammack

Private
Private

Posted: October 09 2016 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote DFHammack

OK, I posted the drawing to my Google Drive. It is a little rough and very incomplete, but it gives the general idea. It should print close to scale on 8-1/2x11 paper. I designed the bolt on a guesstimate as to the correct weight. I have more accurate data now and will have to add a little weight to it. Bolt materials are 1/4" plate for the carrier, and the actual bolt is made of the bars from Harbor Freight "squeeze type" bar clamps. The channel in the top of the bolt is clearance for the guide rod. The rear trunnion is 1/2" aluminum plate. The guide rod will extend from the rear trunnion and the rear trunnion has a rubber buffer. The recoil spring is tentatively an M1911 recoil spring. The receiver has rails for the bolt to ride on. In this first design of the bolt, the bolt carrier will have plates to ride those rails, though I am considering rollers or studs instead, to reduce friction. A trigger housing must be fabricated for the FCG. I plan on using an AK pistol grip, and possibly adding a wrist brace. This is just a concept drawing, and the plan is to work from it, build a working model, and then spec it out.  If anyone wants to further develop this, it would be easy to work with this and the "24Hr AK" plans to flesh it out. It is basically the red headed stepchild of the "24Hr AK" and the Luty

SHTF 9 Concept Drawing

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 12 2016 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Thanks.

Retromodder

Private
Private

Posted: October 14 2016 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote Retromodder

Very cool. Im actually working on something very similar. A square tube 24hourAK. Chambered in .40 s&w, with a 6 shot walther magazine.

Like you, im going to build the bolt a little differently. Mine will be out of just two pieces. The back  milled to accept the recoil guide rod and spring.

Its a fun basic design, the 24 hour ak, as it can be so easily modified. Like how I have changed the basic design to .40, because of what parts i had available.  By changing the bolt face, barrel and mag well, this can be adapted to most pistol rounds.
View Retromodder's Profile Search for other posts by Retromodder

taztheblade

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: October 18 2016 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote taztheblade

laldirollomiche  wow spam much???

View taztheblade's Profile Search for other posts by taztheblade

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 18 2016 at 11:06pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Damn Chinese government. They post with multiple I.P.'s under one name and keep posting till they have automatic approval. It's always crap nobody would ever buy. They just keep testing websites' security.
It's really harmless and only a fool with a tin hat would think it's a national security issue. So go ahead and vote for Hillary .    Couldn't help with the sarcasm. I deal with Chinese spam almost every day.
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: October 19 2016 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

bikergunnut, we appreciate what you do.  Thanks again.

Zuzzy

1SGT
1SGT

Posted: October 19 2016 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Zuzzy

Lookup franchi LF 57 smg and receiver/guide rails it has,and other feats, and use/adapt something like it (or weld 2 square tubes to get such 1 piece receiver),
as opposed to this bent sh*tty receiver thing, magwell expoxied with no cover, and rubber bands, from plans (which apparently and wisely were not compiled by the author, but by some exploiter).

Remember that the so called 24h AK was made as a "proof of concept" mostly, to make a sh*tty contraption that can fire few rounds and than start to fall apart; even the author admitted, when asked about it, that he's not shooting it anymore, but it is long in the, basicly junk/scrap bin,
so you work on it to make it with way more quality and style.
View Zuzzy's Profile Search for other posts by Zuzzy

DFHammack

Private
Private

Posted: October 29 2016 at 3:12am | IP Logged Quote DFHammack

Zuzzy wrote:
(or weld 2 square tubes to get such 1 piece receiver), as opposed to this bent sh*tty receiver thing, magwell expoxied with no cover, and rubber bands, from plans (which apparently and wisely were not compiled by the author, but by some exploiter).

As I said, my design is a combination of the 24Hr AK and the Luty. It takes its strength from the square tube receiver of the Luty along with the guide rod and internal recoil spring, and the simple/easily built, laminated bolt of the 24Hr AK, along with the easily adapted AK FCG to produce an easily built, SEMI-automatic fire arm. I plan to build a pistol, but with a 16" barrel and a tactical butt stock, you could just as easily produce a carbine. The reason I came up with this idea is the ready availability of the square tube. I was not impressed either with the "bent sh*tty receiver thing" OR the rubber band recoil operation. Look at my drawing and read my description. This takes care of both of those problems.

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version