Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 28 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Machinest needed
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  BigDiamond

Private
Private

Posted: January 20 2017 at 8:52am | IP Logged Quote BigDiamond

Looking for a member that can help. I need a Sten semi automatic type bolt machined but in 22 lr. Anyone willing to help?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View BigDiamond's Profile Search for other posts by BigDiamond

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 20 2017 at 8:56am | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

Rough sketch would help.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

messmen

E-2
E-2

Posted: January 20 2017 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote messmen

is 0.22 LR recoil enought to operate a submachine gun bolt?
I have an old 0.22lr russian hunting rifle, and its almost recoilles (if thats the word...my english/american is bad) buth gun fires almost without recoil att all.

It would have to be an extremly light bolt, low tension spring...and still good enought to cycle operation
View messmen's Profile Search for other posts by messmen

BigDiamond

Private
Private

Posted: January 20 2017 at 12:24pm | IP Logged Quote BigDiamond

A Sten TYPE bolt, only sten like in design . About the size of a 15-22 bolt. As far as a drawing or sketch goes, id rather discuss that with the machinist in a pm

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 20 2017 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

If you can make a firearm semi-automatic, you can make it automatic.  .22" LR is enough to run a submachine gun.  We presume you are outside of the United States, as it's illegal to build a full-auto here unless you pay $Ks in taxes.  It is legal to own a full-auto here, however - you just can't make it anymore.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

BigDiamond

Private
Private

Posted: January 20 2017 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote BigDiamond

No, not interested in FA type , semi only. Only want the side feed type setup like a STEN, just trying to find someone who can machine a semi automatic bolt that's Similar in the side feed action but with a few differences than the full size auto version. # 1.   22lr, #2, full length firing pin, and relocated guides.

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: January 20 2017 at 3:40pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

The main question a hobby machinist would have is what tooling would I need. What magazine would you use? The profile could be an issue. Flat firing pin? Weight of the bolt can be figured out but if it isn't a smaller diameter it gets more difficult to do. ECT...... To say you only want to talk about it in a PM will cause people like me to figure it's too much trouble to deal with. The more info you give the more chance someone will take on your project.
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

junkcollector

Cpl
Cpl

Posted: January 20 2017 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote junkcollector

What you are looking for was made in a 3/4 size Sterling copy by J.P. Foote. Maybe use that type bolt in a sleeve in a full size tube.

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19427&KW= Sterling

Scroll down this feed for pictures of J.P. Foote 22 cal
View junkcollector's Profile Search for other posts by junkcollector

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: January 23 2017 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

bikergunnut wrote:
The main question a hobby machinist would have is what tooling would I need. What magazine would you use? The profile could be an issue. Flat firing pin? Weight of the bolt can be figured out but if it isn't a smaller diameter it gets more difficult to do. ECT...... To say you only want to talk about it in a PM will cause people like me to figure it's too much trouble to deal with. The more info you give the more chance someone will take on your project.

The weight of the bolt is the biggest issue for me. Although I take on small jobs from time to time, I admittedly glazed over this one for lack of information.
Aluminum would be too soft. Original weight steel would be too heavy to cycle, IMO. Someone mentioned the AR15-22 bolt. Why not sleeve the inside and just run that bolt? You could even get the mating buffer spring.

This is the problem I had with my semi Sten build. I sat down to examine it recently. I wanted to add an AR stock, use a 9mm AR bolt, I have dcorbs AR trigger group sketch, I was going to add a CAR foregrip by threading for a barrel nut...
And then I said why wouldn't I just build another 9mm AR? Why use 75% of AR parts and then change the chassis? I wouldn't be building anything. Merely altering the aesthetics of an AR. Then I put all the parts away for another year.
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version