Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 28 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 28

We have 0 member(s), 9 spiders, 28 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (126):

Home built AR upper?
Weaponeer Forums : Open Forum

Posted in Open Forum
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 07 2017 at 2:34pm | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

Has anyone made plans for a simple AR-xx upper that uses steel piping and such to house a blowback bolt? I know it's incredibly simple but I wanted to see if there were any existing designs/plans. For example a cheap upper for 9mm or .45 or really any pistol caliber. It could be made with simple DOM steel tubing and you would just need a mag well adapter for whatever caliber and magazine you plan on using. I already have so many projects bouncing around my head but this is a cool idea in my opinion.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View PappaSunrise's Profile Search for other posts by PappaSunrise

kberk50

E-3
E-3

Posted: February 07 2017 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote kberk50

Funny that you ask as I was going to post soon on here to what I have been working on. I couldn't find a good upper on line for what I was wanting like a 45 cal acp with out breaking the bank ...so I made my ow and in doing so did a total variant on the lower as well..Very simple and any one at home can make one. I have this aluminum place by me that has every thing I needed. I started with a tube of 1inch id and an out side of 1.250 and it comes in 25ft lengths for like $26 I thread it on my lathe to use the AR barrel nut,barrel and so on.for the lower I have use of a waterjet and plastic injection machines so I made a mold for the bottom..foe the cost of an upper and lower I can make 50 or more..if any one out there wants more info and pics or plans some time down the line get with me..I have over35 years in tool and die industry and wanted to get building a few items again to keep busy..I made my new remake I call it the MK15 to make use of every available AR part that I can use including the bolt carrier..I have seen other builds like the SGN-9 and I went even simpler than that.Not every one has a welder or lathe and so on so I wanted this to be so easy you couldn't say no to it..even if you didn't have a lathe a file and large die would get the 1/250X18 thread on the tube I use.Only a few thousands of an inch hase to be removed before threading.I can do 30 on the lathe in under an hour.but best of all it is so cheap to make..any thoughts send me a message thanks Kberk50
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View kberk50's Profile Search for other posts by kberk50

kberk50

E-3
E-3

Posted: February 07 2017 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote kberk50

Funny that you ask as I was going to post soon on here to what I have been working on. I couldn't find a good upper on line for what I was wanting like a 45 cal acp with out breaking the bank ...so I made my ow and in doing so did a total variant on the lower as well..Very simple and any one at home can make one. I have this aluminum place by me that has every thing I needed. I started with a tube of 1inch id and an out side of 1.250 and it comes in 25ft lengths for like $26 I thread it on my lathe to use the AR barrel nut,barrel and so on.for the lower I have use of a waterjet and plastic injection machines so I made a mold for the bottom..foe the cost of an upper and lower I can make 50 or more..if any one out there wants more info and pics or plans some time down the line get with me..I have over35 years in tool and die industry and wanted to get building a few items again to keep busy..I made my new remake I call it the MK15 to make use of every available AR part that I can use including the bolt carrier..I have seen other builds like the SGN-9 and I went even simpler than that.Not every one has a welder or lathe and so on so I wanted this to be so easy you couldn't say no to it..even if you didn't have a lathe a file and large die would get the 1/250X18 thread on the tube I use.Only a few thousands of an inch has to be removed before threading.I can do 30 on the lathe in under an hour.but best of all it is so cheap to make..any thoughts send me a message thanks Kberk50

kberk50

E-3
E-3

Posted: February 07 2017 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote kberk50

Funny that you ask as I was going to post soon on here to what I have been working on. I couldn't find a good upper on line for what I was wanting like a 45 cal acp with out breaking the bank ...so I made my own and in doing so did a total variant on the lower as well..Very simple and any one at home can make one. I have this aluminum place by me that has every thing I needed. I started with a tube of 1inch id and an out side of 1.250 and it comes in 25ft lengths for like $26 I thread it on my lathe to use the AR barrel nut,barrel and so on.for the lower I have use of a waterjet and plastic injection machines so I made a mold for the bottom..for the cost of an upper and lower I can make 50 or more..if any one out there wants more info and pics or plans some time down the line get with me..I have over35 years in tool and die industry and wanted to get building a few items again to keep busy..I made my new remake I call it the MK15 to make use of every available AR part that I can use including the bolt carrier..I have seen other builds like the SGN-9 and I went even simpler than that.Not every one has a welder or lathe and so on so I wanted this to be so easy you couldn't say no to it..even if you didn't have a lathe a file and large die would get the 1/250X18 thread on the tube I use.Only a few thousands of an inch has to be removed before threading.I can do 30 on the lathe in under an hour.but best of all it is so cheap to make..any thoughts send me a message thanks Kberk50

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 07 2017 at 5:18pm | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

Hey man I see you are experiencing lag too, you posted the same message a few times it looks like. I like your idea, I don't really have access to a large lathe anymore so that's why I was planning to go with steel, so I could weld instead of thread. Also because I don't plan on using an actual AR barrel mounting system, just using the lower for the FCG and the buffer. I still have some demilled sterling smg barrels that are about 6 inches long. I was planning on turning one of the barrels down to .625" and pressing it into a barrel sleeve that is at least 16" and weld them into place to make a legal rifle barrel. A 6 inch barrel should be plenty for a 9mm. The added sight radius of course will help with accuracy. I'll probably mill out the bolt to my final dimensions from cold rolled steel bar stock and case harden the face. I can modify a sten magazine or uzi mag to go into the magwell as I have both mags. I need to finish my Luty BPS semi auto build before I start on this though. I'm also planning on doing the Professor Parabellum semi auto 9mm build that uses a Tippmann A5 grip, you can see my posts in the open forum.

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: February 08 2017 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

I've posted this up before.
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 08 2017 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

That's beautiful. Looks like a sten magazine. I'd have to put a longer barrel on but that's what I was thinking pretty much.

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: February 08 2017 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 08 2017 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

That's exactly what I had in mind pretty much, a sten upper on an AR lower. The FCG is the hardest parts to make work reliably on a semi auto build (assuming you have a magazine), so that's why I wanted to use an AR lower. Once I get my material in I'm going to have to build a rifle version of that.

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 08 2017 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

They have a sh*tty logo and a lousy website, but this might be what you're looking for:

http://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/ar-trigger-ha mmer-jig.html

View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 08 2017 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

Backbencher that is an excellent addition, I didn't but know that sort of thing was made. I have the plans for a bolt together AR lower but I could just make the FCG part from plate steel and weld on a magwell and make it so it bolts onto an upper I make, though at that point it's a complete scratch build for the most part. I really like bouncing ideas off of you guys on the forum, I just wish there was a few more members to discuss with.

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 08 2017 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Pappa, may God bless you.  We just broke the '68 GCA.  May f**k be upon Lyndon Johnson.  All hail Stoner!  (PBUH)

Hera thumbhole stock;

AR trigger jig, as above;

AR5.7 upper;

zip ties.
Disagree x 1

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 09 2017 at 8:07am | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

I'm assuming that jig is anodized aluminum, though I can't seem to find the material. If it's steel I could just use my mig welder to weld on a magwell to the front, though with threaded holes you could do much the same. Dang this jig could be turned into a lower quite easily, though it's almost as expensive as a stripped lower.

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: February 09 2017 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

I believe it's Dcorb, but I sto... "liberated" his dimensions from his build.
It's saved somewhere... everything is somewhere.

He did the math for putting AR FCG into a Sten lower.

I started a semi Sten build thread, but I actually turned a barrel trunnion last month. Just haven't revisited the thread.

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 09 2017 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

What about using one of These Flat Spot lowers and just using the FCG pieces? It would be cheaper than that jig and we can weld onto it as needed.

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 09 2017 at 5:24pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Papa, that will work fine for a STEN.

But I've another use for that trigger jig and some zip ties...

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25525 

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 21 2017 at 1:47pm | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

So I think I'm going to buy an aluminum stripped upper and make my own STEN magwell adapter and 9mm bolt. Should I buy a $120 9mm AR barrel or sleeve a 6" barrel piece I already have and permanantly make it 16" long?

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 21 2017 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Sleeve it.  You're not gaining much velocity in those 6" unless you're running really light stuff.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html

PappaSunrise

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 21 2017 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote PappaSunrise

That's what I figured would be best. Then I'll just need to machine the barrel extension to fit into the upper and press fit and weld that to my sleeved barrel. I'll probably just throw another cheap $30 keymod rail on it and some magpul BUIS. Machining the bolt won't be very hard, I'll just make it the same length and overall dimensions of the 5.56 bolt and add an extractor and ejector groove. The magblock I'll make a pretty smug fit into the magwell and it will lock in place with the AR mag catch, and I'll use the mag catch at the back of the STEN mags. Am I missing anything Backbencher?

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 21 2017 at 11:26pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

I don't think so, but you're asking the wrong guy.  I work in Legos, not steel.

I floated a stacked PVC pipe sketch around here once, using all AR parts, and using PVC pipe as the bbl nut, upper receiver, buffer tube, handguard, etc.

A blowback AR is just a 1" tube closed bolt STEN in operation.  It should run fine.

<< Prev Topic Open Forum Next Topic >>

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version