Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 28 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Sharps .45-?
Weaponeer Forums : Blueprints and Drawings

Posted in Blueprints and Drawings
Members Viewing Topic: None

Poll Question: If you built a Sharps .45-? what chamber?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [45.45%]
2 [18.18%]
2 [18.18%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [9.09%]
1 [9.09%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Popawdon

E-3
E-3

Posted: February 11 2017 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote Popawdon

I have a full set of Sharps paper blueprints..full size..and look forward to TRYING to make one. There are several calibers/chamber lengths extant but I'm leaning toward the .45-70 so that I can burn the .45-70 govt. ammunition. But, you guys are many times more learned about firearms than I and I would greatly appreciate it if you would give me your opines...
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Popawdon's Profile Search for other posts by Popawdon

bikergunnut

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: February 11 2017 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote bikergunnut

I like my granddad's 50-70 NYS rollingblock. Ammo on the other hand can be a pain if you don't reload. With no family connection I would go 45-70. Versatile and accurate.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View bikergunnut's Profile Search for other posts by bikergunnut

Popawdon

E-3
E-3

Posted: February 12 2017 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Popawdon

bikergunnut wrote:
I like my granddad's 50-70 NYS rollingblock. Ammo on the other hand can be a pain if you don't reload. With no family connection I would go 45-70. Versatile and accurate.

After much reading, I agree. I do reload but the 45-70 still is the most attractive round at this point. I appreciate your response. I too am a bikergunnut and I'm glad there is another with the same dain bramage I have. I guess most on this site are making machine guns and flame throwers. I carried a Mark 40 and find that one shot is enough from about 400 meters. I want a sharps because of its long range accuracy. Just don't let 'em get close...

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: February 12 2017 at 11:45am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

What's a Mark 40?
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Sora-tobu chiru

SFC
SFC

Posted: February 12 2017 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Sora-tobu chiru

Fancy version of remington 700.

“I believe when you become an engineer, and they teach you the disciplines, you learn that one and one make two, and that you have to do it this way because this is what the book says to do, I think it prevents you from becoming a true designer. If I sometimes knew what the engineering math was on some of my designs before going all the way through with them, I probably would’ve quit earlier.”

Eugene M. Stoner
View Sora-tobu chiru's Profile Search for other posts by Sora-tobu chiru

Popawdon

E-3
E-3

Posted: March 06 2017 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote Popawdon

After a bunch of reading, I've decided on the .45-120 with a 34" barrel. Several Sharp's shooters have the -120 but shoot -70 govt. rounds with no or very little loss of accuracy. Also, the -120 made from modern alloy steels will handle smokeless very well, but will have enough room that if the world craters I can make my own black powder. I've never made primers so that will be my next project after I finish the rifle (hubris?)...

Once I've cleaned the bomb damage up in the garage, I'll take photos of my progress (or lack thereof...) Snickering will be a two round penalty.        &nbs p;         &nbs p;

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 06 2017 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

If you've had a bomb go off in your garage, then making your own primers and reloading black powder cartridges might not be in your best interests.  Did your wife suggest these activities?  
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

<< Prev Topic Blueprints and Drawings Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version