Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
2 members and 36 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 38

We have 2 member(s), 7 spiders, 36 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
jaredtg69, jaredtg69

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (118):

Need help with bolt weight math 22lr
Weaponeer Forums : DIY Projects

Posted in DIY Projects
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  gun410999

E-3
E-3

Posted: March 04 2017 at 10:14pm | IP Logged Quote gun410999

And for the firing pin should I do anything or shape the end of the 1/16" firing pin? I see some online that are shaped like flat head screw drivers or just shaped to a cone/Spear shape on the end. And how far out should it pertrude from the bolt face?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View gun410999's Profile Search for other posts by gun410999

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: March 05 2017 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

gun, you are overthinking this.  Ruger 10/22s shoot Stingers, hypervelocity .22" LR, and everything else w/ a .4 lb bolt.

If you're wanting to suppress it and want the ultimate in quiet, then use a heavier bolt; if it doesn't cycle w/ the light stuff like you want it to, drill holes in it to reduce weight or cut some length off the tail.

Don't worry about the shape - leave it a little long - you can always cut it short or change the shape if you're not getting ignition or you're piercing the rim.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

gun410999

E-3
E-3

Posted: March 05 2017 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote gun410999

backbencher wrote:
gun, you are overthinking this.  Ruger 10/22s shoot Stingers, hypervelocity .22" LR, and everything else w/ a .4 lb bolt.<br><br>If you're wanting to suppress it and want the ultimate in quiet, then use a heavier bolt; if it doesn't cycle w/ the light stuff like you want it to, drill holes in it to reduce weight or cut some length off the tail.<br><br>Don't worry about the shape - leave it a little long - you can always cut it short or change the shape if you're not getting ignition or you're piercing the rim.<br>

<div id="lb" style="display: none; visibility: ; opacity: 0;"><div id="lbCenter" style="display: none;"><div id="lbImage"><a id="lbPrevLink" href="#"></a><a id="lbNextLink" href="#"></a><div id="lbBottomContainer" style="display: none;"><div id="lbBottom"><a id="lbCloseLink" href="#"></a><div id="lbCaption"><div id="lbNumber"><div style="clear: both;">
Ok I'll probably go 4" long .5 pound bolt. I'm probably not gonna suppress it. And then my last question(or atleast I think it is) so I got this Spring and I'm wondering how much rooom in the receiver should I give it?
View gun410999's Profile Search for other posts by gun410999

ds1948

E-3
E-3

Posted: May 21 2017 at 5:22pm | IP Logged Quote ds1948

I always love reading up on formulas used to estimate bolt weight for various firearms. As this is a passion of mine, I did a write up earlier this year on the same topic.
http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25363&KW= blowback+rifle

On top of this, Chinn used the following formula for bolt weight calculations.

(wb)*dv=(wp/7000+wg/14000)*dv. wb is the weight of the bolt in pounds. the dv next to it is the delta bolt velocity (10 to 12 ft/s in most actions).wp is the weight of the projectile in grs. followed by wg which is the powder charge in grs. the last dv is the delta velocity of the projectile. a conversion of .69*by the projectile velocity works well for most rounds. Once you plug in 40gr. bullet, 2 gr. of powder, a velocity of 1200fps, and assume a bolt velocity of 12 you get a weight of .42 pounds. Play around with this for rounds such as the 9mm and the .45 acp. It works pretty well. For bottleneck cases you merely take the bolt head area/bullet area. Bolt head is always the internal area of the rear of the case in pressure calculations. In straight walled cases this is the bullet diameter but in bottlenecked cases this is not the case. I hope I didnt deviate the thread any but I love the idea of blowback weapons and hope to build a blowback .223 oneday.
View ds1948's Profile Search for other posts by ds1948

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: May 22 2017 at 6:52pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25363

That would be a heavy gun - but tolerable in a tripod or pintle mounted weapon, like in a motorcycle sidecar.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

<< Prev Topic DIY Projects Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version