Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
1 member and 39 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 40

We have 1 member(s), 5 spiders, 39 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
JamesChota

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (56):

Re-arming a blank firing pistol
Weaponeer Forums : Other Handguns Builds

Posted in Other Handguns Builds
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  Paraquat

CSM
CSM

Posted: March 09 2017 at 8:29am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

I was going through the vault last night and I found a baggie of parts.
It's for an H&R .22 caliber blank firing revolver.

9 shot, solid steel rod for a "barrel", but the cylinder moves and the action spins.
There's a plastic bojanger in the grip that is broken. As a result the hammer doesn't full cock 100% of the time. If you jiggle it and attempt to full cock it will work.

I must've gotten the thing when I was under the age of 21. I had 3 cases of .25 caliber blanks for a nail gun that I got from doing a construction job. I reamed the cylinders out to .251 and had a good old time firing off blanks.
Kids are dumb.

Anyway, I'm wondering now if I could press the rod out, press AND pin a real barrel, replace the cylinder (or buy .25 caliber ammo), and have a functional revolver.

It can't be that easy, can it?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

Paraquat

CSM
CSM

Posted: March 09 2017 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/h-r-starter-pistol-2 2-nine-shot.77438/

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/627102624

Jeez.
Wish I didn't butcher it. For what it's worth now, I could've sold it and bought a real gun.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb

weaponeer

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: March 13 2017 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote weaponeer

that's typically how it go's.

Weaponeer.net survives on donations made each Month by the membership. if we don't get enough donations, our hosting provider turns off the website, and only turns it back on after the hosting fee's have been paid. Please... every donation counts
View weaponeer's Profile Search for other posts by weaponeer Visit weaponeer's Homepage

Paraquat

CSM
CSM

Posted: March 16 2017 at 8:20am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

Since it was manufactured in 1907, I have no reason to believe H&R would've made a specific "blank only" receiver.

I ordered a 6" barrel with a sight on it ($24.99, free shipping on eBay)

My motivation here is that I could always turn it into a 4" barrel if necessary and install my own front sight.

Already received the barrel and it was threaded and pinned. No guarantee I can time it again, but I have ways to align it. I have to see how tight it is once the pin is removed.

Are the threads to align the barrel and the pin holds it in place? Is the barrel supposed to be bottomed out and then pinned? I have no idea yet.

I, apparently, share interchangeability with the 922, 970, and 929.
The cylinder is the expensive part for each model.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 16 2017 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Is the reason hardly anyone builds their own revolvers from scratch complexity?  Just the sheer amount of machining needed?
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

Paraquat

CSM
CSM

Posted: March 16 2017 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

Over a hundred years old and I wouldn't want to make it, even with modern conveniences.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 16 2017 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

S&W makes an ambidextrous revolver, & Charter makes a left-handed, both snubbies, both aluminum framed.  Would really like to someday cut him a steel frame that can take a longer bbl.

Paraquat

CSM
CSM

Posted: March 17 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

Well, turns out H&R did consider it.

I bent a 1/16 punch knocking out a .086" diameter solid pin. The pin made it halfway out of the receiver and then sheered itself somehow. Whatever, I was probably going to have to ream it out to 3/32 anyway.

I was able to take some measurements:
The barrel is turned down to .434" and fine threaded. Probably 7/16-20 assuming standard sizes but I didn't check the thread.

The blank only receiver has been bored to .445 and the blank only barrel has been straight knurled. Otherwise the pin appears to be the same diameter and location. The shoulder on the barrel is the same length as the shoulder on the blank only barrel. The barrel appears to have a taper to the ID, and I'm wondering how a .22 caliber projectile synchronizes between the cylinder and barrel... probably how I ended up with that taper.
6" is WAYYY too long to carry anyway, but if I learned anything from my Charter Arms it's that 2" is too small.

I just so happen to have a straight knurler. I'm going to face the threads off and turn the barrel down, knurl it, press and pin it. I ordered a .22 LR 9 shot cylinder for 40 bucks with ejector and rod.

Paraquat

CSM
CSM

Posted: March 20 2017 at 7:12am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

The barrel is counter bored .250 diameter and 3/32" deep. That must be to take up any slack or slop in the cylinder. The rifling is not tapered after the counter bore. It's a square, hard stop.

I am thinking of profiling it with a slight taper. I can do .250 diameter, still .093 deep, but taper at, say, 20 degrees. I still have at least 5 inches to stabilize the bullet, unless I trim the end of it down too.

The more I wave this big 6 inches around, the more appealing a 4 inch barrel is. Double entendre implied.

I'm going to skip the straight knurl. That's silly and redundant. I'm just going to make it a nice press fit. Once it's aligned I'm going to ream that .086 pin to .093 and press a dowel pin in.

The plastic bo-janger I mentioned being broken is part of the mainspring that rests against the hammer. It was 26 bucks, shipped, on eBay. Parts are interchangeable between the High Standard Sentinel.

Paraquat

CSM
CSM

Posted: March 20 2017 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

I took the receiver apart. I was trying to avoid it, but I'm glad I did.
The trigger pin was bent. Because the trigger pin was bent, the trigger rocked, because the trigger rocked the alignment cam (my own verbiage) that centers the cylinder is mutilated and the lifter started to wear paper thin on one side. Sear looks great though.

Each part is available for 10 bucks each, but this sucks.
40 + 26 + 25 + 10 + 10... I've exceeded the cost of just buying a completed revolver. I could've purchased one made this century.

The lifter has a spring that's been dimpled into the steel. I wouldn't want to risk my safety with a cam. So I'll pay the price. The receiver pins came out with great ease. Much easier than the hammer or barrel pin. Now that it is completely disassembled I'm considering a quick sand blast and a blue. I've never done home blue. At my old job I could slip parts into the lot for black oxide but here we typically run exotics or stainless alloys.

Sigh.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 20 2017 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

And now you understand why we enjoy tweaking gun buy backs.  Everything made in the 20th Century, & most of what was made in the 19th, can be restored with enough time, effort, and money - mostly for machining.  That doesn't mean it's worth it, however.

You do know for sure the bore will line up w/ the cylinder?

Paraquat

CSM
CSM

Posted: March 20 2017 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

No.
It was a thought that came to me two nights ago, actually... that I should wait until I have the cylinder in my hands so I can measure center line to center line of the chamber and the bore.
Another potential deterrent could have been to use a different swing point for the blanks versus the real deal. I haven't cut the barrel yet. If I need to move it eccentrically I can. The cylinder was supposed to be here last week but according to the tracking number it made it to my local post office, went out for delivery, and vanished.

Paraquat

CSM
CSM

Posted: March 21 2017 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

The real cylinder is a nice tight fit, except I purchased a swing-out version so the ejector rod is too long.

Exact length, exact diameter, same center lines all around.

I made a repro-rubber mold of the barrel... funnel? I thought it was a counter bore but the repro-rubber shows that it's a .250 diameter for .093 deep then a 6.5 degree (on the side) taper to the .214 rifling.

I'm this far into it. May as well finish the job. The 4" barrel has grown on me. I'll turn that and pin it before the week is over. Because I don't want to drill out the trigger, I'll turn down a dowel pin to suit the bent pin diameter.

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 21 2017 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Well, that's a relief.  Pity you can't just drill out the blank bbl & leave it as a smoothbore for rat shot.

Paraquat

CSM
CSM

Posted: March 22 2017 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

That thought considered my mind as well but they made it a screw driver tip. I keep taking pictures and just not uploading them. You'll see eventually.

My girlfriend is a scientist and is interested in learning black oxide. My grandfather used to run a plating shop back in the day so it's old hat for me, but I have a lot of parts I need blacked.

And a receiver I need anodized. Not sure about home anodize. I've heard it can be done in a 5 gallon bucket...

backbencher

COL
COL

Posted: March 23 2017 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Type 2 is done by the AR 80% folks.  Not as hard as commercial Type 3, but good enough - though gov't work requires Type 3.

<< Prev Topic Other Handguns Builds Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version