Weaponeer.net
Welcome Guest
Not a member yet? Register Now! or Login
0 member and 32 guests currently online.
Site Partners

This site is Gunny Approved

Site Login
Username

Password

Auto Login
Add me to the active users list

Forgot password | Register

Online Users
Total Users Online: 32

We have 0 member(s), 6 spiders, 32 guest(s), and 0 anonymous users online.

Members Online:
None.

[ View Full List ]
[Based on the last 10 minutes]

The most online was 215 and occured on March 28 2013 at 11:38am.
We had 5 members, 203 guests, 0 anonymouse users, and 7 bots online at the same time.
Todays Visitors (58):

mlok, keymod, or picatinny?
Weaponeer Forums : Open Forum

Posted in Open Forum
Members Viewing Topic: None

Prev Topic :: Next Topic
  justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: June 03 2017 at 10:28am | IP Logged Quote justin22885

which is better and why?.. and which one is more easily produced without a lot of specialized equipment?  it seems like you could get by just drilling a bunch of holes in the forearm that you could run a bolt through with a nut on the back side but it seems most accessories will take one of the three options above.. so which one do you think is the easiest to go with?... the mloks look fairly simple to cut so thats where im leaning right now

thoughts?
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View justin22885's Profile Search for other posts by justin22885

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: June 05 2017 at 6:09am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

MLok because I'm a Magpul fanboy.
Agree Disagree Funny Informative Polite/Nice/Friendly Useful Optimistic Artistic Late Bad Spelling Bad Reading Dumb
View Paraquat's Profile Search for other posts by Paraquat

backbencher

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Posted: June 05 2017 at 8:28am | IP Logged Quote backbencher

Keymod would seem doable w/ a Dremel.  Picatinny takes a mill and quite a bit of time., but rails will easily bolt on in keymod & mlok.
View backbencher's Profile Search for other posts by backbencher

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: June 05 2017 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

from the research i gathered is that the keymod pushes in and then slides forward, so to prevent it from sliding back theres some kind of cut in the back side of it or something.. the mlok uses two lugs so it cannot slide forward or back and only needs the t-nut to tighten so i think it would be easier to produce

the picatinny adds a lot of weight, then you need more weight to cover the picatinny so you dont cut yourself on them and cannot be produced from 0% even remotely as easily

but still, are either of these options suitable for small scale 0% builds? cutting the mlok slot is one thing, but making something to fit that slot?.. perhaps drill and tapping accessory mounts would be a better solution?

alexarmy

Private
Private

Posted: June 06 2017 at 1:32am | IP Logged Quote alexarmy

I would go with MLOK, it is less expensive, has a lightweight design, easy accessory attachment and it is compatible with plastic hand guards.
View alexarmy's Profile Search for other posts by alexarmy

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: June 06 2017 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

http://www.moderntacticalonline.com/magpul/_/MOE-Polymer-Rai l-Section-5-slots?gclid=CIm4lpGnqdQCFciEswodNM8KGw

6 bucks. Light weight, plastic, bolt on.
Modular. Scalable. Customizable.
Agree x 1

Cutaway

SFC
SFC

Posted: June 06 2017 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote Cutaway

The picatinny rails look more well established and hardwearing, the keymod/mlok would be better off on handguards and could be used as air vents.
View Cutaway's Profile Search for other posts by Cutaway

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: June 23 2017 at 1:47am | IP Logged Quote justin22885

mlok, keymod, and the bolt on rail sections all mount to a flat surface though, correct? none of these have a radiused back side to fit a round tube?

Paraquat

1LT
1LT

Posted: June 23 2017 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote Paraquat

Got a ball mill?

I once ran a 3/4 ball mill down a segment of rail for a friend's 1911. Two flat head screws to secure it and he was happy with his removable bolt in rail.

They make them...

But my Remington free float tube is a different diameter than my YHM, than my Blackthorne, than my 9mm, than my UTG, etc etc.

So many different diameters and flavors. If you're making the fore end, surely you can drag an endmill down a segment of rail.

Also, there's some old school witchcraft for kicking the head of a Bridgeport to change the angle. I forget the verbiage but, if you took a cross section of the endmill on an angle, you get an ellipse that can cut different diameters.

angle = cosine of Tool diameter/Diameter you want

So to make a 1 1/2" with a 1" square end mill you'd kick the head 41 degrees.

justin22885

CPT
CPT

Posted: June 23 2017 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote justin22885

im mostly done with a couple versions of the main rifle design ive been working on but was just looking to add a little more versatility, i do not personally even use anything that requires a rail though except for perhaps the top of the receiver and im still trying to find the best way to do that short of welding a steel picatinny on top

<< Prev Topic Open Forum Next Topic >>

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version